Buffy/angel the vampire slayer

I enjoyed it when it was originally on. Both networks, even. It had some scifi flavor to it but it was really more of a horror/suspense type show. Maybe a little dark comedy? Really cool way to spend an evening though, watching Buffy beat the big bad critters. ;)

Loved both Buffy and Angel. Great series. Huge Joss Whedon fan. Really, great shows.

S7 of Buffy, Spike and her together was just bliss. The fact that Spike would fight to the death to gain his soul back just for her, some of the best tv ever written. And Angel? I can't even pinpoint a single great thing, all 5 seasons were spectacular. Though I wish Doyle had stuck around (won't spoil it past that).

I don't know - Angel and Buffy were both good shows but both suffered greatly when Whedon left them to their own devices. The slump of Buffy was caused when he went off to do Angel and the slump of Angel, when he went off to do Firefly - or something like that.

For my money, I think that Buffy highlighted how it's very easy to take the character orientated nature of a show too far... I mean, at points (and it was pretty much seasons 4-6) it was just too soap opera.

Also - why didn't they get Angel to fight for a proper soul? I didn't really get the curse on him either... his soul was to... oh, never mind :P

Finally - I never much cared for Gellar. Yeah, I know a lot of fanboys will say this is pure blasphemy but she never did anything for me with her acting and... eh, physically she's nothing special.

Captain Kendall the Flamboyant Pirate says:

25593c-pirate.jpg

"YARRGH! - Vampires be fantastic, not science fictitious, ya hear? "

Anyhow... To my mind, and I think Captain Kendall's with me on this one, Buffy was only so so, but Angel? Angel got really interesting. I loved that episode where he got an elevator to hell, and when the door opened, he ended up right here on earth. Cool twist.

It tried to mix in a little sci-fi with a Cyborg in the first season of Buffy, Adam (human/demon/cyborg melding) as the big bad of season 4 and those Cyborg Ninjas of the last seasonof Angel.

I think Angel (the series) kinda got screwed over. They lost Doyle too early, probably as an intention to bring him back as a higher power in the next season but the actor died which was a crying shame.

I thought season 5 while cool and a great big finish to the show was like a 50ft lemon - impressive to look at but still tastes sour.

The ending just blew; carry on fighting? I'd rather have seen them kick some ass and then actually saved instead of not knowing whether or not they died. I think somebody was hoping fo a continuance...

They also made it too much like Buffy "with wings" - by the end of it there was the same feel as if it were Buffy rather than Angel. It was nice but I was more impressed with season 1's gritty, dark look as opposed to the clean-cut season 5.

EDIT - Found this about Glenn Quinn. He lost his job on Angel because of a drink and drugs problem which he later died from

The problem is Angel went off the rails after the kind of... mid-season climax in 2 and didn't really get back on track until season 5 - although, I admit that my watching of the show WAS a bit patchy inbetween. The actor that played Doyle died? Pisser.

The ending was kind of... disappointing. It was a good build-up but I think they probably wanted to leave it up in the air for the possibility of made-for-TV movies or something like that. I found Angel much more enjoyable at its best than Buffy though, probably because of my aforementioned disdain of Buffy.

Does anyone remember the episode Once more With Feeling aka Buffy the musical? i love that episode got it on DVD (one i paid top dollar for too) the demon has cast some spell over town where everyone is in a musical.. really great way to show off the singing talents of the cast

Do I think that Buffy and Angel classify as SciFi? Not really. But I LOVE them both and would be happy to discuss them here. I am a bit of a Whedonverse fanatic. (I have all 7 seasons of Buffy, all 5 of Angel, and the only season of Firefly on DVD) Joss can do no wrong in my book. "Once More, With Feeling" is my all time favorite episode.

• 8 months later...