Captain Archer

Arktis

Seriously, after having seen a little of ENT season one, I have concluded that Scott Bacula is f&*%ing retarded, as are most of the rest of the actors playing the crew of the Enterprise NX. Does it get any better? Or is the whole series just... retarded? Sorry, I don't have a more accurate word to describe how I feel about the idiotic acting, writing, and directing I have seen so far in the ENT series. If I am not alone, I am guessing this is why ENT failed.

Dr. Phlox is cool though.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you watch Quantum Leap you'll see that Bakula is good at farce. The problem is that he does not seem to be that great at serious acting, he's at his best when he's wearing a dress talking to a guy that no one else can see.

If you watch Quantum Leap you'll see that Bakula is good at farce. The problem is that he does not seem to be that great at serious acting, he's at his best when he's wearing a dress talking to a guy that no one else can see.

His role in Quantum Leap was serious acting, and he did a good job with it. The Archer character was a little wishy-washy. An actor can only do so much. For example, if you stuck Anthony Hopkins and Samuel Jackson in 'Dude, Where's My Car?', it would still be a stupid movie.

I used to be a big Quantum Leap fan when I was a little kid. I recently watched a bunch of QL eps and now I have mixed feelings about it.

Scott Bakula is funny in the role, no doubt... but you're right in that he can't pull off seriousness very well. I think this is largely due the fact that he constantly looks and sounds like his brainpower is at dangerously low levels. (I'll bet his nickname is "Mr. Squinty".) Because of that, I just could never buy the whole Sam is a quantum physicist thing, even with the "swiss cheese" excuse.

I find myself resenting that Bakula was chosen to play the captain. Not only does he look and sound terrible (he's got volume issues), he makes everyone else look bad too. Ugh.

Anyways, I hope you guys are right... I hope it gets better.

Bakula probably did take lessons from the Avery Brooks school of "acting"... count how many times he shouts REPORT. It's into the THOUSANDS (that might be a lie).

As I said, the episodes improve... into the third season - although personally I only think that the last 6-7 episodes truly constitute an arc... Mini-arcs in season 4 were hit and miss. Augments... mirror universe. AWESOME.

Funny, I just recently noticed the "report" thing on Picard. Report here, report there. Riker returns from the bathroom: "Report!" Troy spends the night once again with a handsome, but evil fellow telepath: "Report!". Data put Spot in the microwave in order to experience human sadism: "Report!" and so forth.

It isn't an Archer specialty.

Guest c4evap

Can you say..."hit the nail on the head"? LOL. I feel the exact same way. I would have chosen either Vaughn Armstrong (he was great as the captain in the MU episodes) or Connor Trinneer (a much more animated actor then Bakula) for the role of captain. Yeah, 'ol Scotty boy needs to stick to light comedy.

46948.avtrLOL - Nice avatar!

c4 B)

Season 1 = Bad

Season 2 = Better

Season 3 = Best

Season 4 = Better then better :P

I think of it in reverse

Season 1 = Best

Season 2 = Quite Good

Season 3 = A toss up of Bad and WTF story lines (though I admit to liking a few of the action episodes)

Season 4 = Quite Good

I loved season 1. Humanity's first deepspace voyage via a Starfleet vessel. All the little quirks of humans, wearing baseball caps, movie night, buttons to open doors. Great stuff.

As for Bakula, he's always been a great actor in my eyes. Quantum Leap was great, as well as his occasional movie roles Unnesscary Ruthness, Major League 3, etc

Guest c4evap
As for Bakula' date=' he's always been a great actor in my eyes. Quantum Leap was great, as well as his occasional movie roles Unnesscary Ruthness, Major League 3, etc[/quote']

Unnesscary Ruthness? Not on IMDB.

c4 :thinking:

As for Bakula' date=' he's always been a great actor in my eyes. Quantum Leap was great, as well as his occasional movie roles Unnesscary Ruthness, Major League 3, etc[/quote']

Unnesscary Ruthness? Not on IMDB.

c4 :thinking:

One sec..

Nesscary Roughness (got the name slightly wrong). It's a football movie (American). Not to mention it had Kathy Ireland as some nice eye candy.

I think that the stories got better as it went on. But I also think that it took so long to get going that it lost any chance of truly succeeding. I think that the actors were all fairly good but I tend to agree (had to happen sooner or later) with c4 that Trinneer may have been better cast. That's probably one of the reasons that I detest the final episode so much.

I think the main problem with Captain Archer was that he really didn't have enough character.

This is what he and Janeway had in common they really didn't have a strong direction. Kirk had had a style with his womanising etc.

Picard had his straight down the line style which you had to respect. Even Sisko had his emotional attachment.

Janeway and Archer were real people but they weren't larger than life like the others.

Whether another actor could have don't this better I don't know but I think the writers were too slow to realise that they hadn't made a dominant enough character in Archer. They tried to make him conflicted in season 3 with the Xindi attack but it sort of detracted form the original concept I saw that they could have continued with.

That is they should have explored the development of the prime directive they did this a couple of times any they were some of the best episodes of all.

The true curse of ENT was probably the poorly conceived and even more poorly executed Temporal Cold War.

If ENT had concentrated on the awe and wonder of being the first humans to bungle around the galaxy, then it could probably have done a better job. While there can be little doubt that the show became more enjoyable in the 3rd and 4th seasons - which had little to do with the seeming original premise...

Guest c4evap
I think the main problem with Captain Archer was that he really didn't have enough character.

This is what he and Janeway had in common they really didn't have a strong direction.

LOL. I'll have whatever this guy is drinking!

Janeway didn't have a direction? LOL. Come on now...

I do, however, agree with your comment about Archer. I'm pretty sure he went into space just to please his pappy. He should have opened up a video store somewhere in Miami IMHO.

c4 :rolleyes: *c4 rolls eyes*

The true curse of ENT was probably the poorly conceived and even more poorly executed Temporal Cold War.

So true. Enterprise started off with a fantastic premise... it had SOOO much potential. The temporal cold war would have been an interesting plot arc, if kept within some kind of defined limits by the writers, and it did serve as a good narrative device to reveal to Archer and the audience the historical importance of the NX-01 and Archer himself ... especially to viewers as yet unfamilar with Trek Canon and everything the Federation would one day come to represent.

Season 1 = Best

Season 2 = Quite Good

Season 3 = A toss up of Bad and WTF story lines (though I admit to liking a few of the action episodes)

Season 4 = Quite Good

I'm with you on that list... though I havn't seen Season 4 yet. I just finished watching Season 3 yesterday... talk about a crazy Season finale. I can tell you exactly what was running through my mind:

"ENOUGH f**king time travel already".

I was thinking though, while watching the morally demented rationalization for situational ethics that was the Xindi arc, that what would have been interesting (and I know it conflicts with what happens in Season 4, but I'm talking about a possible plot direction retrospectively here) is if there had been an episode where Archer come up against yet another "I know this is so morally messed but I really do have to steal/torcher/leave stranded alien victim x because ethics would destroy earth and I'm just not smart enough to look for other options" scenario... BUT what with the spheres messing up space time in the Expanse, some kind of Quantum moment happens, and for an instant he makes ALL the possible choices for a scenario, just like with quantum particles being in multiple positions at once sorta thing... anyhow only the most persuasive of realities will prevail. But 2 possible outcomes turn out to be equally persuasive, 1) where Archer hesitates and tries to negotiate a more humane outcome and 2) where Archer again gives up ordinary ethical standards because the ends justifies the means...

DA DA DAAAA ... And so begins the Mirror Universe, and here marketh the departure of its history from that of the normal Trek universe...

Cool? Interesting? Thoughts anybody?