Stargate SG-1 10x6

TFMF

That had to be, the best episode ever.

LOVED all the little inside jokes. Like the nod to all the Daniel/Jack slash fiction fans at the "wedding" of Jack and Sam ;p

The Farscape bit was obvious but still pretty damn funny, an Asgarde as Rygel rofl..

The "young edgier" version SG-1 was just great.

"Dude, she was TOTALLY a Goa'uld!"

"Yea, I'd still tap that." "Yo Wonderbread, how them symbols coming?"

bahahahaha....

Only downside? SciFi heavily hyped Richard Dean Anderson as being in this episode, when in fact he was in it for less than 10 minutes, at the end of the episode. The other appearances of him were just flashbacks from previous episodes.

I finally clued in, at the end there, that Mission 30108 (the one Mitchell wasn't told about) was his party for his 200th trip through the gate. Though why they'd celebrate that? Obviously you'd think they'd do the same thing for O'Neill and such many years ago but it made it a more episodal thing than something you easily bought. The bit about O'Neill being his father was quite amusing.

Overall kick ass episode. Hilarious.

Oh and FURLINGS!!!!!!, they look liked Ewoks on steroids.

Guest Mrthumps

You have to admit though that "Teal'c P.I." was just awesome.

"IN. DEED."

As well as the farscape bit. You knew they had to work in a reference to it somehow as some point in the series.

All in all I thought the episode was just fun and while I do feel shafted that they pulled a bit of a bait and switch with Richard Dead Anerson I think it was a nice change in pace as compared to others that are run and gun with big explosions and the what not.

Yawn....I think I've had my fill of filler for this season' date=' although I must admit it was much more watchable than the original, quite terrible, Wormhole X-Treme episode.[/quote']

Actually, I think Wormhole X-Treme was better (and that was a pretty lame episode).

Man, what a piece of garbage! :(

Well most of us had already called the Farscape reference although it seemed odd that Michael played John Crichton and Ben did a stint as Stark (although he never got to do that in Farscape's altered realities).

There were a couple of non sequitors where the distinction between reality and fantasy got blurred like Jack coming in and the references to 'it'll be in the trailers/spoilr' and Walter changing clothes fast at the end. It was a little too absurd for Stargate.

Having said that the puppets thing I wasn't expecting or a full-blown Farscape take-off. The younger-edgier version was just hilarious because that's what most teen dramas actually play as. Reminds me of Nigella lawson and her spoofers.

I think if they'd cut out the supposed reality pieces and just had the shattered universes it might have been funnier/better but the near-constant references to actual reality or previous episode complaints (short opening sequence, recasting main lead, convenient plot devices) just kinda spoilt it. If they know it enough to parody it then why don't they change it when they do a proper episode? It just seems like they are more like Martin, not actually listening to their audience and thinking they know better.

Ugh. Horrible episode. Occasional funny bit, but mostly all I could think of was "This is SO STUPID!"

When the "newer, edgier" Vala said she was pregnant, the first thing that popped into my mind was, "Again?". (I'm rather surprised "Daniel" didn't say that)

The "puppet universe" was a really bad attempt to mesh the movie with the first episode.

Note that we haven't "really" seen the Furlings yet either, since when we "saw" them at the beginning, that was just being read from the script.

Really, the best part of the episode was at the very end with the guy who plays the guy who is the "fictitious" Teal'C from Wormhole Extreme gives the Asimov quote.

Jeez, no offence or anything, but you guys are taking it way too seriouslly. Their goal was to make a funny lampooning episode to celebrate their 200th episode. I'm sure that 1/2 the posters in this thread got a good laugh out of the jokes (be they 'in' jokes, or the obvious ones like the Farscape scene) but some how got caught up in the bashing to mention positive thoughts. Remember why we all watch TV? To be entertained!

I thought it was by far the best Stargate of the season, based only on the fact that I was laughing so much, that I had to watch the episode a couple of times aftewards, to see / hear all the jokes.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the Doctor Who and Firefly refrences.

Jeez, no offence or anything, but you guys are taking it way too seriouslly. Their goal was to make a funny lampooning episode to celebrate their 200th episode. I'm sure that 1/2 the posters in this thread got a good laugh out of the jokes (be they 'in' jokes, or the obvious ones like the Farscape scene) but some how got caught up in the bashing to mention positive thoughts. Remember why we all watch TV? To be entertained!

I thought it was by far the best Stargate of the season, based only on the fact that I was laughing so much, that I had to watch the episode a couple of times aftewards, to see / hear all the jokes.

I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the Doctor Who and Firefly refrences.

I got the Firefly reference but Who? When? I have to watch out for that. It wasn't the foreign investor went bankrupt and then renwing the series at the end was it?

I did say I found the teen thing hilarious but I wasn't clear in finding the Farscape and the "Team Stargate : Galaxy Police" puppet segment was funny. If I hadn't watched Team America so soon before this ep I might have had more fun at it's expense. Farscape was inevitable. They had a small nod at the beginning of season 9 and the full blown

They were walking a very fine line between lampooning and mocking. SG-1 is the first Sci-fi show I know of besides Doctor Who to reach 200 episodes in one series and from one side we see a witty piss-take laughing at themselves and ripping themselves and any companion shows they belong to BUT from the other it is just belittling other shows and their audience by regurgitating past complaints as joke fodder and mocking other shows which didn't make it to 200 (like Star Trek, Farscape, Firefly etc.).

There is such a thing as one joke too many. Overall I did like most of it, in particular the alternate realities (Furlings, puppets, teen drama, Cheynne blown up) but it's like I had a white chocolate cake with white chocolate sauce. Delicious though it may be, too much makes you feel ill.

Anyway postive to leave out on:

Puppets were funny especially Daniel 'writing'.

Edgy teen drama was a perfect parody of most teen dramas.

Farscape riff (although short and expected) was classic. I wonder if Ben conatcted Paul about playing his character.

The real characters were expressing our viewpoints perfectly like the openeing sequence, convenient plot devices (hang a lantern was funny because Teal'c had just done it), skipping over escape scenes, etc.

Farscape riff (although short and expected) was classic.

I'd actually argue that the whole episode was a bit of a Farscape riff... what with the whole postmodern playing fast and loose with the references, conventions and different ways of telling stories in Sci-fi, as well as the self-consciousness of the episode, not to mention the tongue in cheek aspect. I mean, from the get go the episode definately had a distinct Farscape odour about it.

Personally I have to say that I loved it... BUT if truth be told, Farscape did it better. Anyhow, I'm glad that the writers and producers gave something different a go, even if I do look forward to next week and the prospect of watching SG-1 get back to what they're best at. ;)

N.B. Is is just me or does anybody else suspect that those dodgy teddy bear suits are all we're going to get after all those hints that this season we'd finally get to see the Furlings?

Farscape riff (although short and expected) was classic.

I'd actually argue that the whole episode was a bit of a Farscape riff... what with the whole postmodern playing fast and loose with the references, conventions and different ways of telling stories in Sci-fi, as well as the self-consciousness of the episode, not to mention the tongue in cheek aspect. I mean, from the get go the episode definately had a distinct Farscape odour about it.

Personally I have to say that I loved it... BUT if truth be told, Farscape did it better. Anyhow, I'm glad that the writers and producers gave something different a go, even if I do look forward to next week and the prospect of watching SG-1 get back to what they're best at. ;)

N.B. Is is just me or does anybody else suspect that those dodgy teddy bear suits are all we're going to get after all those hints that this season we'd finally get to see the Furlings?

I agree entirely. I thought it was hilarious, and it DID have that Farscape feel about it even if that show was only explicitly spoofed for a brief moment. ^^

... and I also think those are the only glimpses of Furlings we'll ever get.

Edit: As for the Farscape short, Ben played Stark's role because he never did that in the original. The fact that Claudia Black played (vaguely) her original role, though, means they didn't shift him there because they had to... my guess is it's more because they had her characer Vala being far more attached to Daniel Jackson than Cameron Mitchell (i.e. they did it from the character's like / dislike perspective of the various characters), and so stuck 'em as the John / Aeryn combo. Just my take on it, though.

• 13 years later...