Comedy Central Roast: William Shatner

Mav

I occasionally catch a good Roast from time to time but this weeks victim is William Shatner. For those that don't get CC or never seen a Roast, a Roast is where a "guest" is basically torn to shreds verbally by fellow actors and comedians (out of respect but all in good fun).

Needless to say this weeks "guest" is Captain James T. Kirk himself, William Shatner. It's on tonight Sunday 8/20/2006 (its encore is on atm but it'll be playing again soon). Some of the Roasters include George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, Farrah Facette, etc special cameos by Leonard Nimoy, Ben Stiller, etc

Oh and for Warp 11 fans, they aired a short montage near the beginning of the show and their hit single Everything I Do (I Do With William Shatner) was played. Very nice to see Warp 11 get some national tv exposure! Please support them, best Star Trek themed band there is http://www.warp11.com

Guest c4evap

I missed it. Had to work (argggggg)! It prolly won't be for sale anytime soon. Sure would have liked to see 'ol Billy boy get roasted!

c4 :(

I was planning on watching this' date=' but I read on http://www.trektoday.com that the roast was pretty raunchy.[/quote']

It's actually quite tame for cable tv. Most of the profanity and vulgar words are off course "bleeped" out. If you don't care for adult humor, yea I wouldn't recommend it, thats what Roast's are about; verbally ripping the guest a new one. Sometimes it's not as bad but come on, it's T.J. Hooker we're talking about here, theres just so much ammo to use it's hard not to just let loose on him ;p

Now, if they'd only play the unedited uncensored version on HBO or something...

I recommend that anyone who has the chance to watch this thing does. If you are attentive, you will pick up several interesting things. For example, the way that these roasts are set up is in such a way as to exclude anything too overly personal. One of the ways I think it is done here is by having the panel of roasters not be composed of people that are too close to the roastee.

Other noteable things are some obviously nervous and false attitudes/reactions of joke victims. Show is everything here, truth is not, but can be still determined by careful examination (one of my favorite activities) of what is present and what is omitted.

Anyways, I laughed quite hard while watching this roast, and thoroughly enjoyed it. And of course, there were the moments where I couldn't help but cringe and make the familiar "ooooooooo" sound that showed my feeling that someone had just gone a little too far. ;)

Edit: Also, watch the reactions to George Takei's jokes. I think people were a little too uncomfortable and disaproving, and let it show more than they would have liked. I don't think they like him. I also thought that Nichelle Nichols probably let herself be a little too much of a carpet.

In short, study this, and learn a thing or two. :D Or just call me crazy for treating an entertainment show as an object of study from which to draw conclusions/opinions. :p