new UK sci-fi series

Cypha01

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds31206.html

http://www.ice-planet.tv/default.asp

"A prophecy of Armageddon and Salvation"

Episodic science fiction in the grand scale of Star Wars. A mythic tale of human survival in space told over a five-season arc.

Our tale begins on Earth in the present day… a day like any other. A woman, the world’s leading astrophysicist, is about to commit suicide. Before she can carry out her desperate final act, she receives an astonishing message from an alien intelligence. The prophetic message, part telepathic and part energy, warns of an impending disaster and directs her to a mysterious space-borne ice crystal in the jungles of Sumatra.

For it is there that a miracle is taking place - the ice crystal is transforming into an enormous spacecraft of mind-boggling technology. Its purpose largely unknown, the ship offers an irresistible lure to those who know of its existence: the promise of interstellar space travel in the early 21st century.

Just days before the maiden voyage of the ship now known as "Magellan", the warnings of disaster come to pass. An armada of spacecraft unleashes a devastating attack on the Earth. The Magellan’s heroic crew manage to repel the assault, but not before most of Earth and its population are wiped out.

Now they must make an agonizing decision: stay to help the few left alive or abandon the survivors and take the Magellan to a rip in the fabric of space-time – a wormhole - that might allow them to go back in time and prevent the attack on Earth from happening.

Choosing to save all humanity, the crew enters the wormhole and crash lands on a frozen planet of stunning beauty and relentless danger – the ICE PLANET.

Marooned there, the crew becomes an integral part of the brutally harsh envi-ronment, threatened by the strange inhabitants and slowly learning of their own role in the epic war between two mysterious, highly advanced civilizations.

Their mission is as basic as it is imperative; survive, adapt, and learn the secret that will save the Earth and humanity from oblivion.

-------

sounds pretty good to me :) and if its a 5 season arc, then we know they have it all worked out.

I can see what you mean, but I think it sounds different enough too. I guess we'll have to wait and see :)

Im glad they've at least worked out an entire 5-year arc for it though like B5.. I really think thats the way sci-fi shows should be done too, personally.

A small group of humans stuck in a distant part of the galaxy, eh? Well, glad to see they're being original from the outset.

I don't know... they're already promising the moon on a stick, so I have to be cynical. We've seen a lot of shows promise that they were going to be new and gritty, do something interesting etc. The proof is in the pudding.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not opposed to there being a few Galactica clones, it could make for great TV, and if it has a preplanned arc it may prove superior to Galactica in the long run, which feels like its loosely planned year by year.

And Ironside has balls of Steel, well, maybe iron.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...