Forum Upgrade gone nuts

NiteShdw

After attempting what I believed would be a minor upgrade to the forum software (1.1.9 -> 1.2.1), the forum has managed to get completely mangled. The whole forum is skin based, and at every upgrade the skins always break. I even tried loading an updated version of the skin, but...

Anyway, after 18 hours of screaming (and several attempts to revert to my backup), I think the forum is working, though it's a far cry from what it was before.

All of this has made me believe that there is a better system out there.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you got me worried there for a bit.

It does look kinda strange like this, but we're all happy you got things running again.

Maybe some other forum software may be easier to maintain. Though I have to admit, I rather like the skin of this one.

If we don't loose the message dbase, I don't think anyone would mind, certainly not if it makes life easier. :)

There definately IS better forums sw out there. With pull down menus and such. Some of the Chinese sw looks good, but the stuff I contacted people about said they have no immediate plans to translate it to English.

I haven't bothered keeping up to date though on new stuff or forum sw.

i still don't have permission to view.... :(

still worried...

i got here viewing reccent post.... there no link the form

same here - anything except 'recent posts' just gives this message:

"You do not have permission to view the board."

And even though we all don't have to chime in:

I don't get anything either.... :(

oh..and the page is all skewif..

it no longer seems to 'wrap' / fit into my window.

//offtopic//

^^^^^ t must have admin rights or cause he's from pegusus glaxy...

yet again starfleet has screwed us!!!... lol

Nah man, it's for your own protection. You don't want to see the real battlefield, now do you? :cyclops:

//offtopic//

----

Meanwhile, why don't I place a link to your helpfull thread in here too:

If you can't see the forum, this will have to do.

Good idea, man. :)

It looks like it used to, well apart from the lovely Nitescifi graphic logo. The forum is resizing itslef correctly and showing all forums/sub-forums correctly. Hope ya got it all sorted Nite, that was kinda scary for a while.

Some signature images arent loading correctly (not just mine). Ill leave it for now and see if it reverts itself or Ill just reup them.

You know, I never realized how much I appreciated he "Who's Online", and all the tools that you got when you make a new thread / hit the "Add Reply" button, untill they vanished.

I see three options to fix this problem:

1) Just use a new updated skin untill black gold is fully finished by the devs.

2) Downgrade the forum software back to the previous version.

3) Install and convert to another forum app, like SMF or something.

You know, I never realized how much I appreciated he "Who's Online", and all the tools that you got when you make a new thread / hit the "Add Reply" button, untill they vanished.

I see three options to fix this problem:

1) Just use a new updated skin untill black gold is fully finished by the devs.

2) Downgrade the forum software back to the previous version.

3) Install and convert to another forum app, like SMF or something.

I agree with S0V13T. Some things really do come in handy and are greatly missed when they are no longer present. :)

Oh, I just had a look at the SMF pages again and they even have a converter for Mercuryboard. With a little adaptation it probably also works for Quicksilver. Only disadvantage is, there are no nice readily installable 'themes' that are worthwhile at first sight. If it really is such pain each time the forum software has to be upgraded, it may be a lot more simple over the long term to just install a different package.

What I also noticed was that they have some extremely nice mods on their site, like and babelfish mod: could be very interesting for people who's English is not so good (then again, Babelfish's English is also not so good :p )

You may want to have a look at the other gaming/movie/community forum Ive been frequenting since the Dreamcast days of 99, its always been great for us over at http://www.katanasedge.net and weve had no problems since this current look in 2001. Its very similair to what weve had here, themes, post count user tags, sigs, avatars, BBCode etc etc. Sub forums within forums like we have here too. Just a thought, its a nice clean place to run!