Is Halo The Most Successful Original Sci-Fi Game Ever?

Tenebrae

Now... for a while... Halo has been something that has been engraining itself into the public mind.

I'll wager that if you're unaware of the games, novels, graphic novels, upcoming film - you're blind, dumb and deaf.

In a few years, Halo has permeated the media to an extent that even the VASTLY inferior Doom could never really hope - and without the handicap of a pudgy egotistical Romero stuffing his ugly face with pies.

I find Halo people rather annoying, they seem to do the sort of dope smoking/multiplayer/staying over at each others houses sort of thing well into their twenties that most people got out of their system with Goldeneye and Perfect Dark in their mid teens.

That said, I can see the appeal and have enjoyed some multiplayer games, but the Xbox controller lacks the necesarry shoulder buttons for effective melee play which in my mind makes the game suck. Clobbering people at close range is highly underrated in all shooters and I think any game that does not allow players to run around opponents in circles and clobber them with both thumbs on directional sticks is severely limiting.

Also the single player has that overly forgiving health recharging ability that provides a compromise between oldschool health and quicksave. Fortunately the quicksave seems to be on the way out, which is good news as it removes all suspense and sense of investment from any game. I prefer a game where it takes the better half of an hour to reach a point you've never got to, to have hour hands sweating and heart pounding, only to get killed and do it again. Overall I am much more in favour of the original Perfect Dark feel of gameplay and have never found anything as appealing as that since.

I do realise this is completely off topic.

You could play the multiplayer on the PC if you like strafing... consoles weren't really made for that whole FPS - the mouse and keyboard are the ultimate controllers! ;)

Halo is pretty hugely forgiving in terms of playing... the shield recharge means you're back to full health after 30 seconds...

Naturally though, this is about the Halo universe and not just the games.

I run a Playstation 2 controller through a converter, superglue it onto a disc spindle and blutac that to the desk and use the left half of the controller instead of the keyboard to play PC games. You get the aim precision of the mouse and the agility of the analog stick to move around. Plus you get plenty of keys to press quickly, rather than stumbling around looking for keyboard keys, goes well with a mouse with extra programable buttons.

Overall it gives you a certain edge in multiplayer online.

Heading further off topic. Whoops.

Yup, novels and graphic novels out to buy right now.

The film still in the works - I'm going to guess that it'll probably be some time until it's out. This time 2008, most likely. Peter Jackson is involved.

Still, films of games are notoriously bad. Still as a certain someone is nowhere near it, it might be good.

Generally, it seems that games released within spitting distance of the films - like all the Disney ones and such - are awful.

Games that attempt to extend franchise tend to fair better. Like Alien vs. Predator 2 - which is how the film should have been and Star Wars has had some good games.

Anyway, I was fairly oblivious as to the greater Halo universe and there was a fair amount of "Buh?" when I played it through the first time - as the game doesn't baby you with lots of exposition. Recently I met with a girl of extraordinary Halo obsession and went and looked into the game some more. There's a lot to know about Halo.

• 5 weeks later...

To be honest with you I've played Halo three times since it came out. Heard a lot about the game, have great respect for the game and look forward to seeing the movie when it comes out, if it comes out. But yeah, i never really got into it so to speak. I've read the discussion and I've found it very informative. Can you buy the game still for PC or is it only sold on game consoles now?

the first Halo game can still be found in budget bins and on the net (for the PC at least)

Halo 2 is supposed to be released together with windows vista, as it wil have different improvements over the xbox version. Halo 2 for PC is going to have support for Directx 10.

Is that how they're trying to sell Vista? Hahaha. Nice try Billy Boy... I'll just wait until hell freezes over.

I think that when I get my next machine, I'll go for this new "uninstall and rebate" option they're offering.

Anyway, yes - like a significant number of multi-platform releases, the PC has to wait 3 years for it. Sigh.

I've heard that the film has been put on hiatus due to the budget though. I'm rather disappointed Microsoft didn't tell Hollywood to get lost and just throw money at it, ala X-box.

Well, consoles basically stay fairly constant in their graphics. Fairly. Then you get the big jump with the next generation. Generally, PCs seem to take 6-12 months to catch up for them.

Besides, Halo was really a game that was more about the story than the graphics. Although, it was fun. If somewhat limited in its gameplay.

Well, if you count sales, the Half-Life series is the winner:

Halo1, 4 million

Halo2, 7 million

Half-Life1, 8 million

Half-Life2, 4 million

If I looked up the numbers right. Haven't played Halo yet but I will.

Personally, the best sci-fi game for me is KOTOR.

As a matter of fact, among the few PC games I have on my shelf is KOTOR1 and 2, and HL1 and 2 :)

Let's see KOTOR was a roleplaying game - hence requiring no "twitch" skills - where levelling up and character interaction are pretty much the name of the game. Halo, while having a plot is about running around and shooting aliens in the FACE.

KOTOR2 was such a disappointment though, hardly surprising though - not Bioware, new studio. Best I just don't think about it.

Half-Life is the winner but I'd say the fact that Halo 2 almost doubled sales of the original vs. Half-Life 2 halving is probably more significant. Although, they'll have to shift a lot of 360s to surpass 7 million... I guess that 7 million will go up a bit when it comes to the PC.

Let's see KOTOR was a roleplaying game - hence requiring no "twitch" skills - where levelling up and character interaction are pretty much the name of the game. Halo, while having a plot is about running around and shooting aliens in the FACE.

KOTOR2 was such a disappointment though, hardly surprising though - not Bioware, new studio. Best I just don't think about it.

Half-Life is the winner but I'd say the fact that Halo 2 almost doubled sales of the original vs. Half-Life 2 halving is probably more significant. Although, they'll have to shift a lot of 360s to surpass 7 million... I guess that 7 million will go up a bit when it comes to the PC.

Actually what else has got to be factored in is that the X-box is a console where as a PC is not seen by as many people as a games system.

I hate that, the PC IS a games platform and it's the one that has been there since the beginning and I imagine will be there at the end... I imagine, there's probably a future where consoles blend into PCs...

Anyway, we're not talking about Halo... Personally, I find it a pretty awesome universe. The Spartan program is something I'd do.