Recommend a single non-scifi movie

Guest c4evap

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PHANTASM

despite the dark fantasy element, I think the movie is definitely scifi.

If that were true then it wouldn't be located in the Horror section of every video store in the world.

It's not my fault that video store sections are never accurately labeled for mixed genre. The clerks see a story about a funeral home guy stealing corpses and it's suddenly a horror movie alone.

However, I see it and notice:

1. The flying metal balls with razor spikes that hover and levitate.

2. The servant dwarves with dark robes that are actually the reanimated corpses.

3. The creepy funeral home director that isn't even human.

Of course, some of this information is known from the sequels.

Anyway, imdb.com says it is science fiction/horror/fantasy. Phantasm

Guest c4evap

hey c4 yes its available on dvd couldn't find it on IMDB either but found it here it's release date was March 30th, 2005 :)

[sLIGHTLY OT]Watch ordering from this company. i ordered this DVD back on Feb 2 and haven't received it yet. The company does NOT answer emails either. Looks like I'm out my $$$.[/sLIGHTLY OT]

:(

PHANTASM

despite the dark fantasy element, I think the movie is definitely scifi.

If that were true then it wouldn't be located in the Horror section of every video store in the world.

It's not my fault that video store sections are never accurately labeled for mixed genre. The clerks see a story about a funeral home guy stealing corpses and it's suddenly a horror movie alone.

However, I see it and notice:

1. The flying metal balls with razor spikes that hover and levitate.

2. The servant dwarves with dark robes that are actually the reanimated corpses.

3. The creepy funeral home director that isn't even human.

Of course, some of this information is known from the sequels.

Anyway, imdb.com says it is science fiction/horror/fantasy. Phantasm

None of your spoilers mark it as a sci-fi. Reanimated corpses are the staples of horror movies, and the Tall Man isn't human, but he was at one point, just like your typical vampire. Anyways, I'm not going to get into this argument anymore than to say that just because it may exhibit one or two slight characteristics of science fiction doesn't make it any more "definitely Sci-fi" than a horror movie with two characters in love would be labelled a "romantic drama". Science fiction is ultimately based upon science fact but PHANTASM is based upon dreams and nightmares where reality and fact do not apply.

Anyways, I'm not going to get into this argument anymore than to say that just because it may exhibit one or two slight characteristics of science fiction doesn't make it any more "definitely Sci-fi" than a horror movie with two characters in love would be labelled a "romantic drama". Science fiction is ultimately based upon science fact but PHANTASM is based upon dreams and nightmares where reality and fact do not apply.

This isn't an argument. It's a discussion about our differing opinions on the film. I saw it and enjoyed a scifi film with scary, spooky elements to it. You saw it and enjoyed a horror film with scifi elements to it. That is the bonus from many mixed genre films. It has things for each viewer.

• 1 month later...

yeah got that too it's ok, but you should really see his movies when he was at his peak.. like the int 80's....

so if you ain't seen these you'd love them.....

police story 1&2, project A 1&2, my lucky stars, drunken master, young master, dragon lord....

BTW... anything with sammo hung in it is worth watching too (yes hes that good!! :) )

I have Prodical Son on DVD...........I didnt like it because I was not impressed by the martial arts. I think Drunken Master which has almost the same plot is better executed.

My suggested film would be Conan The Barbarian..............a gripping story of love and revenge. The sountrack in my opinion is one of the best of any film ever made to date, the sets are fantastic, there are lots of action scenes and naked women.

Every time I hear the Conan speech just before the battle of the mounds it sends shivers down my spine..............in fact someone who produced 300 thought it was so good they used it!

"Police Story is not that good"  :'(

depends what version you watched...

the new re-dubbed version on dvd, i really hate it....

make jakie look like a  sad git...

same goes for the subbed version

but the one i watched when i was a kid, (still got on vhs),

when dubbed back in the day changed the story  line, making

Jakie a rogue/badish cop ...

i.e.. in the 80's dub he was made a traffic officer as punishment...

in the new dub it was like a promo/ photo shoot.... GAY!  >:(

it's amazing how the dubbing changes everying...

CONAN eh? i liked it too but rem i prefered the destroyer....

BOM-BA-TA!!!    ;D