Temporal Anomaly Detected!

TFMF

Sometime yesterday evening, we were taken offline due to an unknown reason. After some discussion with the company that hosts our site, Nite was able to get his account restored and has spent this morning getting everything back online.

Unfortuanatly, the hosting company has messed up, and half of the forum database was lost. Thankfully, Nite still has a back-up of the forum database from the last server crash and we were able to use that to restore the forum. This does, however, mean that all posts, topics, PMs and anything else database-related that was made within the last week or so (since the crash Feb 14th) has been lost and is not recoverable.

We know this must be annoying - having the site crash and get taken offline all the time isn't fun, and is very annoying for NiteShdw who has to fix everything. This has been a difficult month, but we're hoping that with some time, we will be able to get everything sorted out and continue developing the site. We are also looking into faster, easier ways to back-up important data on the site to prevent these kinds of losses happening again in the future.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

~ NiteSciFi.com Admin Team

heh, funny, I ask for database access to make a database backup 2 days ago, whether it was overlooked or ignored, doesn't matter anymore...

"Sometime yesterday evening, we were taken offline due to an unknown reason."

That however seriously worries me...

This may be a good time to start making daily backups...

"Sometime yesterday evening' date=' we were taken offline due to an unknown reason."[/quote']

Well we think we know why, but it looks like it's a combination - the hosting company felt a couple of the features on the site were breaking the TOS. Nite had to clear that up.

Keyser, it'll be added to the Maintenance Mode page ;)

I'd at least expect them to send an inquiry first, and if they do take it offline without warning, that they keep a backup... This is no way to provide a service... Since we're the small guys and they're the big guys, a compensation is probably out of the question too... Someone at that company ought to get shot for this (in a manner of speaking). :(

Interestingly enough, Google Cache still has some of the old main pages. I couldn't access any of the topics, though. They probably don't save those. Maybe some of you have a better understanding of GC and can retrieve something useful... Take a look:

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:forum.nitescifi.com/

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:forum.nitescifi.com/index.php?action=forum

Yeah a lot of us have lost posts. Some of you have lost karma too, I know because I gave some of you karma and now its' lost. I don't even remember who I gave it to.

Me.

Anyways, this seriously sucks though.  If this keeps up, I'll never make it to captain.  :P  Anyone think maybe this might have something to do with the fiends game?

*Dun-dun-DUUUUUUnnnnnnnnnn!*  ;D

Seriously though, an explanation would be nice.  I don't doubt that nite is trying to get to the bottom of this like anyone would, I'm just saying we'd all like to know if and when the cause is found.

2 different hosting companies. 2 different reasons for site to go down.

1. server was hacked and unfortunate things happened so the hard drive was yanked.

2. memory usage was high? and possibly they thought some stuff on site did not meet TermsOfService.

Without backups, all things on this site are at the mercy of the hosting company. Nite is trying to fix things. It may be possible. It may not be. An inexpensive hosting company with reasonable TOS would be a nice thing. Any suggestions? This would be a big help and would give you something useful to do.

Ok well here are two of the reasons why the site could have been taken down:

NiteShdw.com redirects to the new server. It still gets /announce + /scarpe requests.

The hosting company mistook the Java IRC Applet for us actually running an IRC channel.

Nite had to sort these things out with the company.

• 1 month later...