would you want life to be found on mars or not?

nuages

With talk over the years and speculation of life on mars, i've recently thought that i would much rather that life not be found on mars.

I think it would be much better for humanity and space exploration. That way there would be no ethical debate about terraforming the planet, and one of these(http://www.uwnews.org/article.asp?articleID=5817) could be set up and colonization of mars could happen and we would finally have taken a much larger step into space exploration, and possibly alleviate population problems, and offer the needed natural resources and farmland for our bloated population.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know if we colonized mars think about this. it only took what 100 or so years to over populate earth. before the 1900's it wasnt bad but afterward we swamped the earth with people. now think about mars its what half the size of earth. how long do you really think it will take to over populate mars.

and yes i would like some form of life found on mars. it would show there is life elsewhere in the universe

and possibly alleviate population problems.

There are no population problems except maybe in one country.......China.

Anyone who talks of "world population problems" is doing so to justify killing someone, or a group of someones.

:stare:

Well congrats El Capitan!

But, I don't agree.

People will remain on a low-life amoeba like mental level as long as we collectively allow it - allow people to NOT being responsable.

I'm going to create a great thread/post about some mental things that may be good for many people - hopefully people already understand and take action in the things I'm going to speak of - but I know that's not the case, which means I have a lot of work to do yet. It will be focused on the SELF.

But that aside, people will remain on a low level as long as they are allowed and as long as they don't understand what's happening. Most people don't understand anything, let alone them selves - and that we allow them to pass on to their children, no wonder people are ignorant and dull/passive/wrecks/stupidified and so on.

To throw you a bone, let me illuminate the fact that most people have greatness within them, but we're not destined to perform great things by default - it's something someone chooses to do.

So what this means is that everyone has great abilities and also great potentional - the question is not whether or not people have potentional - it's whether they UNDERSTAND and MAKE something of it or not.

If you don't understand this, I suggest that you think about it for a while and think about it hard.

perhaps that you'll also take a peek into my post once it's up, which it will be..in a few days when I have my material finished.

Now this isn't supposed to be "offensive" in any way, so take heed to understand what I'm really saying.

Again I'll gladly admit that I'm not in my best form just yet since I've just come home from work but again couldn't resist to get involved, but know that I'll expand on this greatly in a new post.

Any questions, and I'll gladly answer it for you.

/Andreas

Mars, has evidence of ice/water, irrigation channels, and so many other things. I'm almost certain that when we finally dig deeper and look closer, evidence of life, even microbial, will be found there...

Besides, how did that face, and other monuments on mars, get there, in the first place..... hummm?

I know with the face, they got an image from another perspective and it looked completely different, either way this isn't about whether there is life or not, its what you hope for.

And this world is deffently overpopulated, we don't have the natural resources to sustain the worlds population at the level of living that i'm sure almost everyone on this site is at. And i don't think many people at that level would want to give that standard up. And even if we do overpopulate mars if it were to say be colonized, at least that would alleviate problems temporarly, and a better solution may have been found, or we might end up with some sort of funky space station colonies. Either way I don't see that as an argument since if humans didn't find somewhere else to spill its population into we would just die off faster. Its sort of a give up attitude in my opinion to not try to spread our population out cause we will just overpopulate again.

Any questions, and I'll gladly answer it for you.

/Andreas

Wow. That was a grandiose post. :)

Ya there is greatness in people. It is pretty common, no nonsense, regular kind of thing though. Nothing supers special.

You just have to live your live right and do the things that have been recommended thruout history. A specific kind of physical activity that causes specific changes in the body and a set of rules to keep your body healthy and to retain the energy that you build up as a result of your practicing.

It may be a bummer for some people. Once you realize your life is about self development, science fiction becomes meaningless.

You know those Psi Corps guys on Babylon 5? None of them gave a darn about technology or spaceships or life on other planets. There was one episode in particular. Some Psi Corp guy was evolving and the Psi Corp wanted to capture him. He ended up turning into some super spirit or something and melding with the universe or something like that.

Now honestly. If you can become like a Psi Corp guy and meld with the universe, or you can sit around talking about spaceships and life on other planets and stuff, which would you choose? If you are a super being melded with the universe, you can do any physical thing you can imagine. If you choose the physical route of space ships and stuff, you have to wait for someone to build one before your curiosity and other needs are satisfied.

Luke Skywalker don't care about spaceships. He uses the force to do whatever he wants. He makes other people make the space ships and do all the grunt work. He just runs around having fun doing whatever he pleases.

The force or grunt work? Which sounds better?

Von Helton - how about India and then, Israel and Palestina?

:)

There are millions of acres in the desert that have no one living on it.

So no, from a global perspective, we are far from over crowded. People just want to live in certain areas, instead of working on making other areas habitable.

We can stretch huge piplines from Alaska to Florida, but yet we can't seem to build a pipe from the ocean to the desert, to make it livable?

:stare:

.....Please.

Well, I'd say water in the long run out of several obvious reasons, however oil is important for machinery and that sort of thing.

VonHelton, yes I totally agree, there are LOTS of space around the globe, all deserts combined would make up huge amounts.

India etc, was just a statement, but again, yes I completely agree.

Making those areas into friendly environments, perhaps even undersea worlds, boy would that bring space.

There are no population problems except maybe in one country.......China.

China is only 74th in population density. China has a lot of people, but they are fook'n HUGE!

Jersey has almost six times the population density of China.

Hell, the UK and Germany both have twice the population density of China.

So if you look at the size of their country, their population numbers aren’t so impressive any more.

They already found life on mars in the 1970s. And there is life in the Venusian atmosphere too, at a layer that had a regular temperature around 110 F, 1.0 atmospheres, and large regions with about 10% the water vapor of earth's atmosphere. These regions have been shown to absorb UV light for no known reason, and UV photosynthesis is a possible explanation. Regardless I wanna go live in the venusian atmosphere in a Nitrogen/Oxygen filled blimp. It should just float there and i can use solar energy to extract water vapor from the surrounding atmosphere and use it to drink and to extract oxygen to keep my blimp from deflating!

Well' date=' I'd say water in the long run out of several obvious reasons, however oil is important for machinery and that sort of thing.[/quote']

Water is the next big thing. All the companies know it, and world water privatization is the big push right now. OIL is god, but you could live a week without it conceivably, and it’s running out. Water on the other hand....

yes I totally agree, there are LOTS of space around the globe, all deserts combined would make up huge amounts.

India etc, was just a statement, but again, yes I completely agree.

Making those areas into friendly environments, perhaps even undersea worlds, boy would that bring space.

There are lots of places that are already suitable for farming, but are privately owned by Elites that don’t use the land for anything. Some places, like Brazil have landless peasant movements that take back unused land from the rich, and return it to agricultural production. They have had a lot of success, and the idea is spreading.

Unfortunately every government that has ever sanctioned such activities, in the Americas anyway, has been immediately destroyed by outside forces. However, popular peasant movements are a lot harder to topple/discredit than governments.

What we need is a Global Landless Peasant Movement to take back unused land, be it in the desert or in the breadbasket, or anywhere else that land is put to no other use but ownership by the Elite.

There are natural and effective ways to transform wasteland into usable productive farmland with no technology at all. The problem is that often these methods take a generation to work, so it’s hard to find an investor. The people of Ethiopia are using their bare hands to implement some of these Permacultural methods to restore farmland lost to the desert, even though no one alive today will benefit from the results.

Sorry about getting off topic.

It's just that I'd like to see us get life together here before we start exporting it, and or mixing it with extraterrestrial life.

My two cents on Mars:

It has life.

The spoors of Mushrooms are capable of surviving the vacuum of space, and some fungus can launch their spoors with an acceleration of 25,000 times the force of gravity. The NASA Space Shuttle only accelerates a few times the force of gravity.

Our Terran fungi representatives (assuming they started on this planet) have been on mars for millions of years. Fungi have adapted to every nich of life on this planet, so why not others? The largest living thing on earth is a fungus, the oldest living thing on earth is a fungus, and the most complex cellular arrangements on this planet are fungus mycelium.

We would be, at best, only the second life form from earth to start exploring space.