Dr Who S3-E08 - 'Human Nature' - 7:10 PM (GMT)

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 8 of the 2007 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome.

[glow=white,2,300]ADDITIONAL: This Episode is airing at a slightly later time of 19:10 PM (GMT) [/glow]

humannature.jpg

Official Synopsis - It's 1913 in England, and an ordinary schoolteacher called John Smith is disturbed by dreams of adventures in time and space and a mysterious blue box. But, when lights in the sky herald the arrival of something strange and terrible, Smith's maid, Martha, has to convince him that he alone can save the world.

Im sure Troughton used John Smith at one point too although it was more associated with Pertwee. Hehe even in the pilot for An UnEarthly Child, Susan is listening to music by John Smith & The ...something, something! :)

At the end they called it "breath taking"... the only intake of breath was my yawning. I'd not be surprised if this was going to be one episode but got stretched out into two... Not a great deal happened. The Doctor not being The Doctor kind of made the episode pointless, if it's just set up - then they could have done it in five minutes.

All in all - the weakest episode so far. I'm sure the writer thought he was SO clever for putting a black woman in a sexist, racist time period and highlighting it!

tbh i agree with tenebrae, yes it was a good piece of entertainment but it was definately not the best episode of the series, it was however interesting and kind of sinister and as such the conclusion will be good but yeah it should have been done as a single episode. The scarecrow 'family' were great however and it did have a sinister and confusing feel to the episode which was good. I will hold judgement till the conclusion but as an episode goes i was a little bit disappointed but i still enjoyed the episode (7/10)

Yes I enjoyed it but they should have left it as a novel and not televised it unless of course it has a relevant connection to this years 'trap' that is being set for the Doctor by Mr Saxon. He mentioned 'time agents' at the start of the episode which got me thinking about Capt Jack, and also later in the show when they were inside the 'invisible' spaceship (a nod to Douglas Adams maybe?) it looked a little bit like the interior of a TARDIS, some of the wall beams looked very coral'y a bit like the TARDIS beams, probably just me reading too much into it but surely there has to bemore to this than meets the eye with it being a 2 parter. The scarecrows were creepy but no nearly creepy enough as portrayed in the trailer, a bit more horror is always nice, I wanna be behind the sofa, not aiming for my bed!

I had no idea it was a novel too, but anyway i found this episode really quite enjoyable. I wouldn't say it was fantastic, but it was still a good story.

I could sort of feel the cliffhanger coming. And i was quite glad when it came - i like those ;D

I loved the whole idea that the Doctor wasn't the Doctor - it was somthing new (to me anyway).

Well I just finished watching tanks to Catch-up On Demand....

...meh.

This was quite boring. Not enough to validate being a two-parter (yet as it's a two-parter).

Seemed they were just dithering through a story and Martha pining over the Doctor (why must every female assistant fall in love with him?).

I can see why there's news about Freema being dropped next year.

It was alright, nothin special imho. How many times can they play the "omg Martha is black and it's way back in the past where her people are persecuted!" ? That gets old.

I wouldn't have minded the Doctor not being the Doctor, if they could give us more backstory on WHY? Why were some aliens hunting him? The Master's work? If they have a limited life span couldn't they just keep running from them in the Tardis through time and space? And why must they hide? Isn't the Tardis pretty damn hard to destroy or break into? No one just happens to notice a big blue box in their cabin in the woods?

And yes, why the fuck must Martha fall in love with him, 8 episodes into the season?

I miss Rose.

It was alright, nothin special imho. How many times can they play the "omg Martha is black and it's way back in the past where her people are persecuted!" ? That gets old.

??????

With the exception of a single question Martha had for the Doctor in The Shakespeare Code this is the first time that it's even come up. What level of reality do you expect from this show, anyways? If her color was never brought up some people would complain about that too! No matter what, the writers just can't seem to win... You're right. They probably should have kept it safe and gotten another white chick for the companion role.

??????

With the exception of a single question Martha had for the Doctor in The Shakespeare Code this is the first time that it's even come up. What level of reality do you expect from this show, anyways? If her color was never brought up some people would complain about that too! No matter what, the writers just can't seem to win... You're right. They probably should have kept it safe and gotten another white chick for the companion role.

Actually if you watch Dr who confidental this was brought up and she was glad that this issue of other races back in the 20th century did have its bad moments

Y'know... I think Martha was hit with a double whammy of prejudice: colour and class.  I think they were treating her as they were as much because she was just 'a mere maid' as her skin colour.

As for having to hide... doesn't the TARDIS have a recharge period?  Still... the new series TARDIS seems a whole lot less impervious than before.  No temporal grace, and people can teleport the Doctor and co. from within it... and now, the Doctor can't hide out within against opponents.

The Family seems rather stupid... or they don't sense their environment visually.  If they were close enough to shoot at the Doctor as he was escaping, it would be reasonable to assume that they saw him. :/