Dr Who S3-E09 - 'Family Of Blood' - 7:10 PM (GMT)

Antilles

[move]+++ ALERT - WARNING - THERE WILL BE SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD - IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE EPISODE PLEASE KEEP OBVIOUS SPOILERS HIDDEN BY USE OF THE SPOILER TAB - THANK YOU. ALERT ENDS! +++[/move]

:Antilles: This is the Official discussion thread for Episode 9 of the 2007 Doctor Who. 'Constructive' criticism is welcome.

[glow=white,2,300]ADDITIONAL: This Episode is airing at a slightly later time of 19:10 PM (GMT) [/glow]

humannature.jpg

Official Synopsis - It's 1913 in England and war has come a year in advance as the terrifying Family hunt for the Doctor. But, while John Smith refuses to accept his destiny as a Time Lord, the women in his life, Martha and Joan, have to take terrible measures to save the whole of history. But are the mysterious Family of Blood working for an even bigger threat?

Was better than last weeks and was heart warming seeing the little boy throughout his life time until you see him as a old man remembering his fallen comrades.

The other good thing is it wasnt about special effect but actually rellied on its story to power it along, in all a enjoyablel episode (sorry for any bad spellings but i am pished !!)

"We are the Family of Blood". I must say, the actor who played that young man was really good at being evil.

The episode had some fantastic moments in it, especially near the end. I did love this episode, and i think it was better than last weeks. The emotional scenes at the end were really special, and i think that's what Doctor Who needs. If you listened carefully, you could almost here Rose's song from the beach ;)

As for next weeks episode - wasn't that trailer insightful... ;)

Much better than last week's. Tennant really pulled off the emotional scenes, bravo performance there.

Loved seeing him have a tough time deciding, save lives or save his the love of his life. Though it was sad when she pointed out that, if he had never came there no one would have died. Which always seems to be the draw back of the Doctor, if he shows up, death follows and people get caught in it.

Really loved the ending of the boy surviving the war, and as an old man as the Doctor and Martha watch from a distance, that was a very touching moment, loved it.

Best part: The Son of the Family explaining the Doctor's kindness. He wasn't running away to save himself, he was doing it out of mercy o_O I really love seeing the Doctor just unleash his rage like that, he can be so bad ass when he wants I love it.

Only a few minor nitpicks;

The Scarecrow Soldiers were beaten by bullets? Sure shoot out their legs, they can't walk but some were just taking a bullet to the arm or chest and falling over. They are made of straw ;\ When the head master walked over to examine them they should stood back up and killed him.

Martha finally professing her love for The Doctor. 9 episodes. 9. Hell she mentioned it briefly in episode 8 but come on, at least Rose's buildup took longer than that plus she had to deal with him regenerating. I really liked Martha being the bad ass at the start of the episode but it's gonna grow tired, her longing over the Doctor, giving him the puppy dog eyes and such. Especially with Rose still fresh in our minds, they should have expanded that story arc out some.

How the hell did The Family move the TARDIS? It's locked, and much more intelligent lifeforms haven't been able to break into it or such (Daleks, Cybermen, etc) to my knowledge that is. But some two episode throw-a-away villains can some how move or get inside to move it? Plot Hole, especially since they didn't explain it.

How the hell did The Family move the TARDIS? It's locked, and much more intelligent lifeforms haven't been able to break into it or such (Daleks, Cybermen, etc) to my knowledge that is. But some two episode throw-a-away villains can some how move or get inside to move it? Plot Hole, especially since they didn't explain it.

There's a precedent for it. See "The End of the World", Series 1 Episode 2. Apparently, the outside of the Tardis is the same size and weight of a regular Police Call Box and can be moved like a normal one. It's the inside that makes it special.

Only a few minor nitpicks;

They picked it up and carried it.  Torchwood officials moved it using a truck in Army of Ghosts.

Great episode, moreso than last week's. As much as I can remember it while my brother is sitting next to me making a strange crappy trading card game, this episode, "minor nitpicks" aside, made it worth rushing home early from a family gathering just to see it. I still missed around 5 minutes.

Everyone has basically portrayed my feelings about this episode, much much better than its opening half, it came to close to being my 'Girl In the Fireplace' of series 3 thanks to the emotional ending and the Doctors BAFTA (surely) performance as John Smith not wanting to give up his life to become the Doctor. Seriously I had a lump in my throat when old man Timothy saw the Doctor & Martha at the war memorial. Awesome...and The Sun think the BBC want to cancel such a wonderful show? LOL

I was disappointed at some of my hopes for what I thought might have happened as far as the Family, Tim & Joan were concerned but still turned out to be completely amazing.

Not sure about 'Blink' next week, the trailer was a little vague but with only 1 more week to get past before Jack is back then the final double episode...Im drooling!

8/10

It's hard to beleive we're nearing the end of the season already. At least (and i don't know how many times i've said this now), we don't have to worry about those silly cancellation rumours :)

Antilles: Yes, i'd have to agree that parts of this episode made me think, Girl in the Fireplace. Not because of the story, but just because of the style and kind of episode it was. Of course, nothing could ever replace Girl in the Fireplace.

Loved seeing him have a tough time deciding, save lives or save his the love of his life. Though it was sad when she pointed out that, if he had never came there no one would have died. Which always seems to be the draw back of the Doctor, if he shows up, death follows and people get caught in it.

Ties back into other stories, pointing out that the doctor turns up, mayhem ensues and then he buggers off leaving the mess for others to clean up. The classic series was much more "thank god the doctor was here", more of he's going where the trouble is and sorting it rather than the current "trouble follows the doctor". This new view is darker and could have a lot more story left in it - does the doctor suffer angst from what he leaves behind? etc....

The Scarecrow Soldiers were beaten by bullets? Sure shoot out their legs, they can't walk but some were just taking a bullet to the arm or chest and falling over. They are made of straw ;\ When the head master walked over to examine them they should stood back up and killed him.

I thought that at the time, and expected them to pop back up, a bit disappointed that they didn't. It would have been nice if bullets didn't kill them and they had to be set on fire after they got back up and killed the head.

As had been pointed out they moved it. It has been moved many times before, e.g. the daleks, and even by Marco Polo way back with the first doc.

And when you look at Inferno and Day Of The Daleks, JP's Doctor managed somehow to get just the console 'out' of the Tardis somehow and work on it in his laboratory & at Project Inferno's 'hut!

If that happened in todays series people would really question it but when you watch the old shows you just accept it, its wierd how its all changed over a few decades! :)

I loved it, loved Baines and the kid who (borrowed) stole the watch. Not really much more I can say...apart from re: moving TARDIS.

The TARDIS has been moved quite a bit by the enemy, it can be picked up and carried...it's even been dropped down a mine shaft or two if my memory serves me correctly.

Meant to write this sooner:

The best part of this one was John Smith's emotional farewell, a part of the Doctor that wants a normal life sacrifices himself so that the problems may be dealt with.

That's where it ended for me. The last bit just did not fit with the established prelude from the episode before as if a different writer had taken over.

"He was being kind"? What kind of BS was that? Rather than kill them off he makes them live for eternity in various states from trapped in a mirror, dumped in a black hole, locked in chains and suspended in time. Far from the terrified Doctor we saw at the beginning of part one he turned into this dark soulled monster who's worse than the evil he fights. Four people had to be sacrificed so that he could punish the Family adn countless others were killed because he couldn't kill them before. And why didn't they die when they took possesion of those bodies?

Quite a poor effort that makes me glad he wasn't the main character of the following episode.

• 2 weeks later...

Martha asked him how they could be following them through time. "Stolen technology."

so yeah, they had time travel and some way to track other travelers.

Dr: Get down! Did they see you?

Martha: I don't know.

Dr: But, did they see you?!

Martha: I don't know. I was to busy running.

Dr: Martha, it's important. Did they see your face?!

Martha: No, they couldn't have.

Dr: Off we go. Aww. They're following us.

Martha: How can they do that? You've got a time machine.

Dr: Stolen technology. They've got a time engines vortex manipulator. They can follow us wherever we go. Right across the universe. They're never gonna stop. Unless? I'm gonna have to do it. Martha? You trust me, don't you?

Martha: Of course I do.

Dr: Because it all depends on you.

Martha: What does? What am I supposed to do?

Dr: Take this watch. Cause my life depends upon it. This watch, Martha. This watch is.....