Dr Who S3-E11 - 'Utopia'

Antilles

By God what an episode... I was literally jumping around in happyness when Master said his name :D

I hope they keep up the good work on the season 3 episodes (those eps with Rose were lame compared to these)

I have a bat ready if they screw the rest of this season up (heaven forbid) :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would seem that 'Utopia' was a MacGuffin... the mysterious place that's only purpose is to drive the story and is otherwise utterly unimportant. ^^

I think Utopia was The Masters way to get rid of all the humans. The way he laughed when he said it was just too evil.

I hated the episode' date=' nothing happened in it at all and it bored me to pieces. Who the hell is the Master?[/quote']

I can see how not knowing who the Master is might make it seem a little duller. ::)

Master regeneration.... just before the Master got in the tardis the Master said if the doctor did it so can i. Presumably he was talking about regrowing the hand which is not regeneration in the normal sense, its a cellular regeneration and not a total regeneration. It's possible timelords could undergo an infinate amount of these cellular regenerations provided of course they have access to the tardis.

Damn i am having withdrawal symptoms already, wish i had a tardis so i could watch next weeks episode now (tho if i had a tardis watching doctor who would be way way down on my list of things to do lol)

Having the Master back is indeed a wonderful development, even sans facial fur - so who is this Mr Saxon then?

Utopia could be a nice big rock that the Master has just fired the last rocket full of humans at in order that they go splat, I think we need to hear John Simm do the trademark evil mwhahaha to see if he can do the role properly. He concerned me when he said "tough" - this isn't the Master's refined style at all, surely?

But my biggest question here - if humans evolve into bedsheets called Cassandra, do they re-evolve back into identical versions of us in the year 100,000,000,000,000,000,000 (100 trillion in US counting) or 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, (in proper UK style!). That seemed a big flaw in an otherwise great story.

Master regeneration.... just before the Master got in the tardis the Master said if the doctor did it so can i. Presumably he was talking about regrowing the hand which is not regeneration in the normal sense, its a cellular regeneration and not a total regeneration. It's possible timelords could undergo an infinate amount of these cellular regenerations provided of course they have access to the tardis.

Ummm... no.  The only reason the Doctor regrew his was because it was still within 24 hours of his regeneration (as stated in that XMas special with the blood control thing.)  What the Master did seemed to be a bonafide full regeneration at the end of an incarnation's life... meaning the Master either got a new Timelord body (maybe via that biology rewriting watch thing or something) or other self modification / trickery.  The Master IS a master of survival, after all.  If there was a way to do it, he would be the one to find it. ^^

On the other hand, maybe some of that 'regeneration energy' was still in that hand, and the Master used it to trigger his own regeneration?

Overthinking it too much. People spend so much time coming to terms with discrepencies between the old series and new one, but unless old plots/facts/ideas are woven into these new storylines, they simply don't exist. This series is a different animal altogether.

I had wondered why he kept the Doctor's hand. And yea I agree that was a full blown regeneration, he got shot and was dying.

The most obvious explanation is, since he changed from human to timelord then back again, this reset his regeneration cycle completely, or at the very least extended it.

This also sets up The Doctor for many more seasons or series or movies. Since he became human this season then Timelord again, he should have more than just two more incarnations.

Unless the BBC has plans to axe the series after the 12th Doctor dies, in which case the entire theory of him also regaining regenerations is shot to hell.

To be honest, as others have pointed out, I think theyve given up on the old ideas about how many lives The Master has had or will have. Or even The Doctor for that matter, if they have a limit of lives it would mean a possible final end to the best show in the universe!:)

To be honest, as others have pointed out, I think theyve given up on the old ideas about how many lives The Master has had or will have. Or even The Doctor for that matter, if they have a limit of lives it would mean a possible final end to the best show in the universe!:)

Yeah but by doing that you make both the master and the doctor imortal which we know is not true as all the other time lords have gone now!!

Also I dont think it is wise to mess to much into the long history of this show, I am sure they could simply find little loop holes.

Regeneration or not, there are plenty of things that would permanently kill a Timelord, like a disintegration beam or being cast into black hole or sun. Setting one on fire may do the trick. Regeneration means living multiple lives, but that doesn't equal immortality.

^^ The doctor has turned down the chance of immortality on at least one occasion (brain of Morbius) so yeah big difference between regeneration and immortality even if the regenerations are infinite.

One thing they do use in the new Dr Who is that the Dr needed to be in or near the Tardis (some doctors have regenerated while not being near a Tardis however, Pertwee to Baker springs to mind)

I can't recall off hand (tho i'm guessing it was Tom Baker) when the idea of Timelords having finite regenerations came into it. tbh although canon is good and needs to be adhered to too some degree, i think that regeneration is one part of it where it is less important.

Regeneration is what makes doctor who such an enduring program, it was introduced as a stroke of absolute genius to allow the physically ill William Hartnel to pass the role on to somebody else. Dr Who could easily have just ended with the tenth planet where it not for this brilliant idea.

I was a little disappointed with this one mainly becasue five minutes after Jack returns he's hitting on everything that breathes. Tiresome and stained the episode for me.

The Master returning - we all knew it so that's dedicated fans 3-0 this series for 'unexpected' twists.

The Master returning - nice with the old addage thrown in there about explaining all the plans and getting beaten. I think John Simm will make a good Master once he regains his composure.

Slightly marred by Jack's presense but somewhat enjoyable since the Doctor's oldest enemy has returned.

I think the problem with the current show is that it's such a hot property that it's easy headlines for the tabloids to leak stories...

Jack was a bit of a pain, wasn't he? That's what you get for having a character who is only a sleazy bi.

Jack was a bit of a pain, wasn't he? That's what you get for having a character who is only a sleazy bi.

I'd go one further - he's a hoe (and not the garden variety). Go back to Torchwood, you sleezy, cheesy *cough* 'hero'.

I thnk the Master was the star of this episode, even if he only turned up in the last ten minutes or so.