Terminator: The Chronicles Of Sarah Connor

Tenebrae

I think there is more in the behaviour of that unknown type of terminator than simple humanisation... from the previous episode it seems that Cameron was some kind of technology officer, or something, in some high rank in the resistance (she it was talking about the broke terminator like that happened more than one times). I think it was more mysterious when Cameron wrote something about "her new friend" (the girl who jumped down from the roof).

I liked this ep, but for me it was too much forced (artificial I ye prefer) the way the agent "is starting to believe". I find it hard to believe someone like him (an inspector with a logical mind) to question his belief so fast...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the main difference between the Cameron we saw in the pilot and since is that  the pilot is usually where they test early viewer reactions and later they changed her character to be more non-human as they decided she needed to learn to be human slowly... I like that she's learning ballet without it being part of her program. She's learning to be more than a SkyNet/John Connor drone just like Arnie in the 2nd movie. Her hiding missing cyborg parts is interesting though. Is she gonna be good or bad. Tune in. See what Uncle Reese, the murderer, is up to.

Yeah, it's not unusual to have some details change from the pilot - even if it looks sloppy... notice the incredible change in appearance of the Bionic Woman's sister? And how her deafness clears right up? Still, I think someone probably thought "oh, people know Summer for being the kinda creepy awkward girl from Firefly" and decided to stick that in - as well as extremely unnecessary displays of her dancing skills.

I suppose it's understandable, it basically makes her character development extremely easy. Learning the joys of humanity etc. As I said though, it's nowhere near as enjoyable as Arnie's portrayal but then... it's hard to compare the film to the TV show.

I've just realised that my main problem is with the characters. Outside of the FBI agent, I don't really care for the core cast.

Summernator is just flat. The cute girl that kicks ass has been done many times now and she feels too much like a mixed bag of ideas that was written by committee. Scary, uncaring, learning to be human, protective, ass kicking, inadvertently funny... And that just seems to all cancel out.

Sarah goes between worryingly possessive to just plain crazy/irritating.

John shows pretty much no sign of being a leader, he's such a mummy's boy.

I'd not be quite that negative but it has been erratic.

The finale was a bit of a non-event, really... it feels as if it REALLY wants to be kind of, all guns blazing action... but then, bottles it - see the season climax. They're clearly substituting tension for action... and I don't really think it's working. Everyone being completely untrusting doesn't help either.

The finale was a bit of a non-event

I agree, I was disappointed in the soft landing of the season. I really expected some kind of action packed buildup, which never happened. :(

I was thinking maybe this wasn't really supposed to be the finale and due to the writers strike they ended prematurely since they just went back and there wasn't enough time to write and film and get it out in a reasonable time.

I assume that they were uncertain about the show... it was a BIG change of pace from the films... essentially, you were going from big budget, all action sci-fi blockbuster to... well. Not a lot of anything happening. So... maybe they only did 9 to judge the - not particularly inspiring - reaction. I think this was in the can before the writer's strike struck... I may be mistaken though.

The finale completely bore me out on the idiocy of enrolling John in school.

Are we supposed to be worried about Summernator? If that's supposed to be a cliffhanger, it's laughable. We've seen far more primitive models survive pipe bombs STUFF INSIDE THEIR ENDOSKELETONS. The worst that will happen is that her skin is blown away.

Also... are they lazy, cheap or just stupid? The coolest bit about seeing through the eyes of a terminator is the WAY it sees. The red tone, scrolling commands and options and so on... so, seeing through Terminator eyes without it? Not nearly as cool... it doesn't give you that calculating, cold, distance... in other words, it's just become lazy story telling.

I've got a number of problems with Skynet being forged as a number of different components as they're doing now... the idea established in the films was far more sensible, this notion of it being bundled together out of a bunch of parts? Not to mention the fact that they've made time travel seem easier than crossing the road. Let's see... in the TV series we've had... 5 people and 4 machines (including Cameron)... it's just getting excessive. Why not just send someone back in time with enough memorised information to win the lottery, become president and ban Skynet if it's that damned easy.

I'm not really sure the show will really live on unless it can deliver more. The pilot episode had potential... it had the action, the suspense, the intensity... which was then totally lost. If you can't even recapture that in a finale... why bother going on?

I tend to be a negative Nelly, but I've mostly enjoyed this season.  I agree with the people who have panned the acting.  However, I kind of like the overall feel and exploration of the T-Lore (kudos to whoever coined that term).

The thing I like the most is that "Skynet" is a moving target.  In one timeline, it may have been a gov't system, in another it is software, etc.  The point is that an AI which declares war on humanity is basically inevitable.  That's a nice little nightmare scenario.

Generally I think about TV series very differently... I usually do not percieve weak acting in my favorite shows, it must be very much weak for me to realize that. It is especially true for TSCC, because I am a huge Terminator (particularly T2) fan.

An interesting information about T3: the two men said in skynex.com's podcast to the pilot, that we should "forget about T3, like it never hapened", although it is an unofficial statement.

I wish I could forget about it...  :'(

I do not think the finale had a soft landing, I am curious about the degree of damage the Cameron unit has taken.

If anyone interested about season 2, read this article, it is an interview with Josh Friedman & Brian Austin.

• TFMF unpinned this topic