"Priorities"

VonHelton

I was watching Fox News the other day, and the anual salary of a ball player came up.

Now, I freely admit I'm no fan of sports, even though as a child me & my dad would go see ball games & eat hot dogs.

But, I got to thinking......(Bear in mind, I'm no math whiz).

:thinking:

The anual salary of just ONE ball player here in the USA would pay for my starship to be built, and perhaps even pay to launch it & supply it with a months provisions!

:stare:

So, I'm wondering where our priorities are. Should entertainment take presidence over our (evenual) need to colonize our solar system?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not an issue of priorities as it is an issue of pulic interest.

I'm not entirely sure about that........One might argue the 3 new ball teams we've created recently were un-nessesary.

Washigton DC isn't even a state, for cryin' out loud!!

:stare:

We could also take that money and send it to asia for the tsunami victims.... or to africa or some other place where they really need it. I hope there will be enough money left so you can still build your starship though. :stare:

We could also take that money and send it to asia for the tsunami victims.... or to africa or some other place where they really need it.

We can't.......We were told to leave the area, and take our money with us!

:stare: :stare: :stare:

I hope there will be enough money left so you can still build your starship though. :stare:

Should be plenty, now that we no longer need to deal with the Tsunami thing.

I think we need to make or own team and make money to help Afrika and Asia and build us a starship

That's close to what I was thinking.......

Iraq needs a stable economy, right?

.....Let them build the "shell" of our starships!

Rooms, corridors, lighting.......The simple stuff. We can do the "guts" later.

Considering the huge size, it would give them jobs for quite some time!

Well it seems to me that you have enough input for a decent website about building a starship. some nice pictures (they can ofcourse be photoshopped) some ways to interact and regular updates on how its going... etc.

I already have an idea for converting a 747 into a useful starship, but I got more riddicule than actual help.

......I even copywrited the idea.

I already have an idea for converting a 747 into a useful starship, but I got more riddicule than actual help.

......I even copywrited the idea.

Well it´s a start..... but i wonder if the hull of a 747 is strong enough.... it would need some modification

Well it´s a start..... but i wonder if the hull of a 747 is strong enough.... it would need some modification

Certainly.......And some reinforcement at the wings especially.

The 747-400 is my target plane......It's one of the largest 747's around.

Parts are very plentiful, and it has enough cargo space for a journey to the moon at least.

......And we can finally fly first class without paying!

:p

747 will require structural reinforcements because furrently it's built out of an aluminium-tin shell. Then you're going to need to slap on ion engines on it. Finally you can't forget re-entry. You're going to need heat sheild of some sort. Unless you commision in space, then you need shuttle pods

It isn`t just the reinforcement work you would have to worry about but the radation sheilding. Get to far from the earth and the magnetic feild no longer protects you.

Our men walked on the Moon, and the Moon had no protection from radiation.......

Your best way of getting into space is the space elevator. All you need to do is send some robotic space craft out to the astroid belt between mars and the outer planets to collect an astroid and tow it back. Then stick it in a geostaionary orbit and run cables between it and your base of operations now for the good part if you pick the right astroid the gold contained within the astroid would pay for your whole enterprise and you would have free metal to modify your 747 on the ground. Then you can transport your parts up to space on your elevator for assembly.

Outer space is awash with deadly radiation that emanates from solar flares firing out from the sun. Standard astronauts orbiting earth in near space, like those who recently fixed the Hubble telescope, are protected by the earth's Van Allen belt. But the Moon is to 240,000 miles distant, way outside this safe band. And, during the Apollo flights, astronomical data shows there were no less than 1,485 such flares.

John Mauldin, a physicist who works for NASA, once said shielding at least two meters thick would be needed. Yet the walls of the Lunar Landers which took astronauts from the spaceship to the moons surface were, said NASA, about the thickness of heavy duty aluminum foil.