What's your view on CAPSing in forums/chat rooms

msg4real

Oh man, I blame Seraph for ALL caps occurances in #startrek. :p

It can be REALLY annoying and REALLY frustrating when ALL people EVER do is talk in CAPS.

I mean really, how hard is it to turn that little button off?

IMO it's ok to write in caps if you want ppl to see something important... but not for anything else... worse even if people write in 1337 inbetween.

in most places, all caps is like the internet version of shouting... that's how i look at it, i mean, come on, if somebody were to stand next to you and shout everything he said...?  ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I find it annoying. I believe all caps should only be used to EMPHASIZE something. That, or because the name of something such as SEMA is shortened.

exactly my feeling, but no sentence should be capsed in whole IMO.

i use caps in this way:

mother says : while you live in MY house, YOU will do what I order you to do.

XD

I basically use all-caps in exactly the same way I'd use italics... for emphasis.  Mind you, thanks to the fact that we can post with italics, using all caps is probably a bad habit...

I usually do use caps for emphasis in chats, because sometimes text formatting can be wonky on chat clients... especially when both sides aren't using the same client.  Italics formatting might get dropped, but capital letters definitely will remain. ^^

Edit: Under no circumstance will I type in all caps, though.  That's incredibly annoying... well, unless I'm implying I'm shouting at the top of my lungs. ^^