AVI to Divx No File size change.

gamer1978

Since avi is a container format, if you create divx avis, you can rename them to .divx, and you are done.

I am not sure if you talk about avi in general, or some particular avis, but avi files (it is a container format, remember? :)) can hold DivX or XviD encoded video data, or data encoded with allmost any other video codec.

And if you are lucky, you can "force" your player to play xvid files by changing the 4CC codes of the avi from xvid (if it is xvid) to divx and changing extension to divx (if the latter is needed by your player).

• 3 weeks later...

The xvid codec should still be available on it's namesake website. I didn't get much from it. I only got it for one movie file and forgot about it afterwards. As for divx, I never saw the difference at all between divx and avi. From what I saw divx only complements avi files. Overall I don't think the xvid codec is worth getting. It's good in itself but not very useful.

Sorry I could not be much more helpful in this. I hope you find better results for your query.

The main difference between xvid and divx that you have to pay to encode video with divx legally. Basically xvid and divx are implementations of the same mpeg-4 codec. None of them are worse then the other, it is about personal taste. Divx got better support in commercial players.

"It's good in itself but not very useful." LOL google before you say somthing like this...

• 1 month later...

I think "but they dont work on my divx player." is worthy of more investigation.

Most divx players have a cheap decoding chip (no where in the same league as your computer's CPU) and how good they work varies. Some won't play "packed" xvid, many  don't like high bitrates. Nearly all won't handle HD files (anything above 640 wide) even  ones with HDMI connections! Then there's Nero MP4 files, most don't like these.

Get hold of Gspot that will tell you the codec used, the resolution, whether it has packed bits, etc..