Everyone and their Grandmother can travel through time!

The Underscore

In Star Trek: Enterprise, T'Pol made it clear that Time Travel was "impossible". But, since Archer was just so fantastical and was determined to prove that sultry minx who's wearing the pants - and who needs to start bowing before whom, Archer travels through time. Repeatedly.

By TOS timeline, I suppose time travel is sort of a military commonplace. Time travel was achieved intentionally  by Kirk on Starfleet orders to observe an historical event. Then it happened again by accident. Then, in ST:IV, Kirk does it again on purpose. I think by this point, Starfleet was getting fed up with this temporal bravado and stopped assigning ships the task of time travel.

So we come to TNG era, where the slingshot effect is all but completely forgotten. It would take a few years for us, the audience, to hear the words "Temporal Prime Directive", but, lo and behold, we do end up hearing about it, moreso in Voyager than anywhere else - because as though the producers of the show were teasing us by having the captain opposed religiously to time travel - which she does nothing but complain about when it happens - and it happens so often but her b*tching doesn't change.

What was more fun to see - Kirk braving 20th century San Francisco on purpose, with a cloaked Bird of Prey in Golden Gate park? Or Janeway in that weird-*ss white suit talking to a homeless maniac from the future in a city destined to become the world's largest metropolitan coral reef?

T'Pol just liked quoting the Science Directorate - despite the fact she repeatedly saw it. Just shows what a bitch she was.

And yes, the abortive pilot of Phase 2 DID show time travel as easier than baking bread - although that's the ONLY time they indicate time travel to be routine.

Kirk mincing around San Francisco was a laugh.

Abortive pilot? I recall reading about the original draft. I was referring to the episode of the original series involving Gary Seven and that annoying computer and the trademark Star Trek whirly thing. But the Phase II pilot also had time travel, now that you mention it. Good eye!

I always get the two confused... but another prime example if First Contact.

Data: The Borg have just travelled through time.

Picard: Follow that Sphere, Mr. Data!

Data: Aye sir!

There's no implication that travelling in time is anything particularly arduous, just another run of the mill button pushing operation.

I suppose that might be why "Relativity" was penned... to show that there are a bunch of people who go around cleaning up the mess made by the likes of Janeway and Kirk.

Not to over fanboy out on this thread, but, I believe the reason we see more Time Travel then not is because of the people we're dealing with. In TOS and TNG, we're talking about the flagship. Best and brightest of the best and brightest. Tens of thousands of (making up a number because I don't feel like looking it up) different species with billions of populace each. The best of those apply to Starfleet academy, and then the best of those get years of experience on actual ships, then the best of those get to the enterprise.

Looking at this realistically in this light, Ensign whatever could be as smart as any of our greatest scientists.

With this level of intelligence on a ship, time travel might not be so big of a deal. In voyager the time travel tends to come looking for voyager as opposed to the other way around.

Kirk: Let's go back in time!

Spock: How?

Kirk: I dunno. We'll do what Superman did: fly around something really fast.

Picard: Mister LaForge, do something that will make us go back in time.

LaForge: I already did.

Picard: Splendid.

Temporal Investigations: Why did you take the Defiant back in time?

Sisko: B*tch, why did *you* take it back time?! Don't get up in mah grill!

Janeway: I hate time travel.

Harry Kim: We just time travelled.

Janeway: F*ck.

T'Pol: Time travel is impossible.

Archer: B*tch, look out the window! There's time travel, right freakin' there!

it was strange. That in the TOS films time travel just involved going round a sun.

yet later on, it wasn't easy to do.

What you talkin' 'bout?

You're saying the 3 lines of dialogue in First Contact didn't make it sound easy?

It was almost as easy as "Mr. Data - MAKE IT SO!"

Janeway: Recalibrate the micropositron alignment array and technobabblebabblebabblebabble through time!

Paris: Now I have a headache.

Seven: Perhaps if I bare my bosoms you will feel better.

Harry: ...I have a headache too. (shifty eyes)

Laughing_RoflSmileyLJ.gif

Me too! ::)

Janeway: Recalibrate the micropositron alignment array and technobabblebabblebabblebabble through time!

Paris: Now I have a headache.

pipedream.gif.c9ed1b7e2c22599daecb4332477a9e4c.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Dude! Why is she groping herself? Was that in an episode?? (I'm not referring to the cigarette or the thought bubble. I'm not that dense.) But did she stick her hand down her uniform for real?

I have a hard time believing that's just a regular cigarette.

Voyager is notorious for ludicrous and wafer-thin reasons for time travel. Or anything, for that matter. A crew of biomemetic clones, fat guys from the 29th century, A Cardassian defecting to the Kazon and impregnating herself with human DNA ... and the damned Telepathic Pitcher Plant.