Star Wars The Force Unleashed.

x5315

• 2 weeks later...

And it's going to be canonical... apparently.

Yeah, I've seen this and it looks great... I'm going to have to unleash the power of the Dark Side if those little b*tches don't port it to the PC.

Just why are Star Wars games so much more prone to awesomeness than Star Trek ones?

Just why are Star Wars games so much more prone to awesomeness than Star Trek ones?

That's easy, Star Wars is all about exciting things with individuals, while Star Trek is much more often about 'the team', it's harder to make a good game about an individual in a team (where the team is the most important thing) than it is to make one about a heroic individual. (imho)

I believe the star wars universe got a lot of fabled things, lot of things are just accepted (accepted by the ppl taking part of the story) but not explained as much. Its calling the child in most of us on a subconscious level.

Star Trek is about a utopistic future, it is harder to believe, no matter how well explained it's science is...

Just for the record, I like Star Wars too, allthough I like Star Trek more...

I think it's that and also the fact Star Wars is really more about "bang! ZOOM! POW!" visual spectacles, be they epic space battles, epic land battles or epic one on one duels... What does Star Trek give you? Sure, a few of those but the fights are usually small - I think only DS9 gave us more than a couple of ships at a time... TNG was pretty low on ship to ship, DS9 probably made up for that, Voyager had some but it was usually a bit one on one... Enterprise was usually similar, seldom epic... and I don't think there was ever the depiction of land battles - again DS9 had it but only from a very blinkered view.

Star Trek is just... not as cool. As the joke goes - Picard goes through an asteroid field at 1/4 impulse - Han Solo floors it.

I think the problem is that if you do FPS in Star Wars, you've got the obvious Force options. Toss people around, whip out your lightsabre, go good/evil etc. Or perhaps, jump in your starfighter and go whoop some bad guys in a big ol' space battle... or of course, engage in a big land battle etc. etc.

With Star Trek you've got pretty much two options, as it seems. By the numbers FPS with your phaser in hand (or if you're adventurous - BATLETH!) or flying your big ship around doing a bunch of stuff.

I think Star Wars is just simpler, so to speak... it's pretty much a straight forward good vs. evil type situation most of the time - which is very much predicated by the nature

of the dichotomy of the force - light and dark... there's precious little middle ground as it goes.

By contrast Star Trek is... after a fashion, complicated - although, a lot of that is due to the total lack of continuity but inherently the galaxy is a different place... Even if we ignore the dozens of god like entities that litter the Alpha quadrant there are lots of species with different values and things are never quite that simple.

If you watch the Star Wars prequels, good doesn't win... which makes it more than a little irritating that everything stacks AGAINST the Empire from that moment onward.

Star Trek is... FAR more pretentious. You'd never see Darth Vader going "yeah, it might be CALLED the Dark Side - but we're pretty progressive".

The game looks very much like a console game. I don't think porting it to PC would be practical without adding more features to make it into a PC game. I just hope this is done in first person mode, with the option for third person mode (like in Jedi Knight).

I do like the idea of fighting Mace Windu, Luke or Anakin. This duel feature was sadly missing from Battlefront II. I should write Lucasarts about a patch addressing this problem...