Most under rated author

mcant

Well we've had the most popular poll, but how about an author most of us haven't heard of,

Please, no "Simpsons Did It" posts if you know the author, just feel pleased you are more knowledgable than most of us.

I'm kind of out of date and would like a few suggested reading titles, both old and new

Doesn't look look nielsen has been translated ' date=' I'm guessing Icelandic? maybe norwegian? (If he published in old icelandic I could make a stab at it lol)[/quote']

He's danish - but I think the only thing that has ever been translated was a shortstory named "Planet for sale" - from 1964.

Well, he WAS a depressing read, anyway... nothing lost

:)

I think Star Wars author Timothy Zahn would fit this category. Despite his literary brilliance' date=' no TV series or computer game or Star Wars movie has depicted his great work. [/quote']

He also did the Cobra series. They are good reading.

If you want an oldie, how about E.E. Doc Smith

John Brunner.

Wrote some subversive stuff for his time. Some thought provoking sci fi. The first, I think, cyberpunk type novel. Not William Gibsons type, but the first one about hackers and stuff. It is called The Shockwave Rider.

John Brunner.

Wrote some subversive stuff for his time. Some thought provoking sci fi. The first, I think, cyberpunk type novel. Not William Gibsons type, but the first one about hackers and stuff. It is called The Shockwave Rider.

I loved Shockwave Rider.

Rudy Rucker

Mathematician, teacher, and SF author (actually, transrealist fiction) His White Light is an incredible, psychedelic romp through increasingly higher orders of infinity.

His Software trilogy is a joyful wandering through the logic of mind and being, complete with action, adventure, mysteries, and living computer chips.

Infinity and the Mind is a great non-fiction guide to infinities - a wonderful companion to the books above. The stories illustrate the explanation & vice versa.

He's a creative, masterful writer.

Howard Phillip Lovecraft.

"Mountains Of Madness"

Look for the annotated S.T.Joshi edition of Lovecraft's work.

Howard was a verbose guy and some of the language needs a little context to place it. Also the annotations are invaluble in getting the most out of the stories.

He was ahead of his time as far as weird science fiction went.

*www.hplovecraft.com/

Get rid of the * to make the link work.

Christopher Hinz

Leige Killer

A one hit wonder I think. I do not recall ever reading any other books by him.

Leige Killer is hard to describe. I have never forgotten the book and still have a copy of it. The premise is that some genetically enhanced people were made. They got out of control or something and some of them were killed while the others disappeared.

The interesting part was that they were in pairs. They were telepathically connected to each other. They also had this very very very cool weapon. It projected a beam of force sort of like a light saber, but it could be moved. It was possible to make the beam move and twist and curve like it was made of rubber.

I really can't say why it made such an impression on me. Genetically engineered, telepathic pairs and energy weapons seem pretty standard in Sci Fi. This book had something special.

The Engines of God

Jack McDevitt

This is real thinking persons sci fi. I think most of the sci fi I have kept fits in that category.

People have made it into space and have colonies in various systems. They have found remains and ruins of different civilizations. They have never found a living alien race.

The hero of the story is interested in these ruins and what has happened to the races. The science part comes in when he follows various clues to discover what it is that has been going on.

One of the clues is that one of the dead races had a colony or base or something that they made out of all curved lines. No straight lines anywhere. No one could figure out why.

I should probably not tell you how it turns out. That is what makes the book appealing. What the answer is after searching the various planets and figuring out the clues.

I would recommend Michael Moorcock. His Eternal Champion multiverse has to be amongst the greatest scifi/fantasy creations ever. In particular Elric, Corum, Hawkmoon and Oswald Bastable. For people who love Utopian ideals - stay well away from this man lol. Aside from Tanelorn any sort of Utopia usually get destroyed.

• 1 month later...
I think Star Wars author Timothy Zahn would fit this category. Despite his literary brilliance' date=' no TV series or computer game or Star Wars movie has depicted his great work. [/quote']

He also did the Cobra series. They are good reading.

If you want an oldie, how about E.E. Doc Smith

Yeah I also recommend E.E. Doc Smith, check out the Lensman series. Not many people I have spoken to have heard of him. But he is definately worth reading.

Has anyone read David and Leigh Eddings? Polar opposite to Moorcock' date=' but the Belgariad and The Mallorean are two of the best series I've read.[/quote']

I agree. The Eddings' works make for a good read.

How about Lester Dent's Doc Savage pulps?

Peter David

Allen Dean Foster

I am more of a fantasy person than a scifi person but I think Elizabeth Moon's The Deed of Paksenarion is one of the best books ever written. She does scifi as well, but I've never read any of it so cannot say whether or not it is as good as her fantasy stuff.

Another fantasy/scifi writer that is good for the younger crowd is Piers Anthony. A Spell for Chameleon is the book that got me into reading for enjoyment when I was around 11 or 12. On a Pale Horse is my favorite from him. I have read some of his scifi work as well and it is on par to the fantasy stuff.