Gay Trek.

Tolver

I just saw DS9 7x12 ("The Emperor's New Cloak"). Now no one can claim Star Trek doesn't show gay/les relationships. The only thing you can complain about is quantity, but as we all know, its quality that counts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest c4evap
HEY! i have a complaint.

Star Trek doesn't show gay/les relationships.

Uh oh...this is how wars are started... :p

c4 B)

Guest c4evap
Why do people keep bringing thiis thread back up? No' date=' seriouslly, I wanna know.[/quote']

Can't answer that but you might want to send a pm to Tolver and ask him to lock this thread.

c4 B)

The reason there are so few (if any) gay characters in scifi is because' date=' in order to get the point that someone is gay across to the viewers, they can't seem to do it any other way than ram the point home in a completely unsubtle fashion.[/quote']

I agree. All the writers would have to do in order to demonstrate that a particular character is gay would be to simply show him holding hands with another man. That would get the point across without ramming the point home. They must think we are all idiots and wouldn't get it.

But what if the writers didn't ram it home but instead toned it down...consider this...how long would the gay community be content with only that level of intimacy? After all, hetros are shown kissing, fondling, etc. Just a thought...

c4 :thinking:

Yeah I can understand what you are saying. I think it would be nice to see a loving relationship. They dont need to show them having sex or long make out sessions to portray that.

I certainly dont think anyone wants to see someone prancing around and (insert stereotype). The only time I see people acting like that is on tv and I doubt it is a gay person who has written the part.

I personally dont want to see it as a central issue. If it never happens (and considering the show is over, probably never will) I wont lose sleep. I haven't spent all my time watching star trek in the hope that something would happen. That been said, an accurate potrail of love in all it's forms would be nice in society in general.

Like c4 said, it's LOVE, being gay isnt about lisp, or liking ymca, or prancing, or (insert stereotype).

transgender trek, now that's an interesting suggestion.

A couple of years back I saw a Borg drag show, was really good hehehe :cyclops:

oh and just a thought on the comments that gay people dont have anything to contribute to society or are mentally unstable etc. you do realise that alot of great people in history were gay...Leonardo, Plato, Michaelangelo, Tchaikovsky, Alexander the Great, Handel, Hadrian, Lord Byron, Aristotle, Hans Christian Anderson, Pope John XII, Pope Benedict IX, Pope Julius III, T.E. Lawrence, Socrates, King James I, Queen Anne

just to name a few :p

Dosent bother me one way or the other if people keep bringing it back up, and talk about gays in space. I'm just curious as to the "why" aspect. If I wanted it locked I'd post something like "Lock the thread. No, seriouslly, lock it now"

oh and just a thought on the comments that gay people dont have anything to contribute to society or are mentally unstable etc. you do realise that alot of great people in history were gay...Leonardo, Plato, Michaelangelo, Tchaikovsky, Alexander the Great, Handel, Hadrian, Lord Byron, Aristotle, Hans Christian Anderson, Pope John XII, Pope Benedict IX, Pope Julius III, T.E. Lawrence, Socrates, King James I, Queen Anne

Holy hell, the Popes? Well, that explains the catholic church and their man on boy luvin' policy, I guess.

// couldn't resist a smart assed clergy comment

Guest c4evap

Unfortunately...an evil one also comes to mind: J. Edgar Hoover. He was gay and a cross-dresser and the creepiest little dude around!

c4 B)

Guest c4evap

Holy hell, the Popes? Well, that explains the catholic church and their man on boy luvin' policy, I guess.

Ohhhhhhhhh...look out. You just might go to hell for that one :p

c4 B)

c4 B)

the pope? wasnt he the one that thought Boyz 2 Men was a home delivery service?

will i go tohell? heaven and hell topic

c4 B)

also elton john and wasnt he the one that thought Boyz 2 Men was a home delivery service?

will i go tohell? heaven and hell topic

Don't ask me, I don't see what the whole problem is. Just let everyone be what they want to be and that's it you know.

EDIT: ah, duh, it was a joke of maverick, I keep falling for those when I'm not carefull. :)

dude im glad youre around to spot my sense of humour.

probably save a lot of bruised feelings

Alough i believe everyone has a right to be whatever they want, as long as they dont infringe on the rights of others, it has always mystified me that they insist on using the term "Gay", when in fact due to the treatment of mainsteam society, they are anything but happy.

How can someone possibly be happy when they go against science' date=' nature AND religion???

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Its funny how I was discussing this exact same thing with a cardiologist a few years ago and he pointed out ---that these people are up against everything, and yet they stil continue to be defiant. According to him, it was proof enough that it must be more than just a choice.

Oh and alot of people would argue that Science and Nature are inseparable!

in fact...yet anotherh category of people would argue science, nature & religion are all but the same thing.

How can someone possibly be happy when they go against science' date=' nature AND religion???

:stare: :stare: :stare:

Umh, Von, I don't think the thread was about Happy Trekkers ... but since most Western religions no longer get to burn people (or even Warlocks) at the stake any more, going up against them can be a hoot!

What amazes me is how people want to label this issue of being Gay as wrong.

I like ultimate truths, I go for those, however with certain issues I've started to think: What does it matter? So why not let it be their choice and be fine with it?

Does it matter because: It's unhealthy?

And what if it is? What do you care? Does it "infect" you in some way? Or if they die 2 years before par but live a 200% happier and more satisfied life, isn't that worth those 2 years then?

I'm just invoking some expanded thinking here (so don't get me wrong about where I stand in this debate).

Sometimes people become "hateful" and "fear" or "loath" something just because..... it has become the latest fly (like having a cellphone or watching Big Brother) and never actually given their own thoughts to it; do I even know what it's about? Do I have ANY experience whatsoever? Do I know what I'm talking about or acting against??

*Wakeup clock*