Best Computer

Engineer101

For a computer, twin monitors is better.........

My main system has twin monitors. On the left, I can be compiling video. on the right, I can be downloading via BitComet.

:)

yeah, but you can just run the apps in seperate windows and have them on opposite side of the screen. that way you dont lose display space with the monitor bezzles.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah' date=' but you can just run the apps in seperate windows and have them on opposite side of the screen. that way you dont lose display space with the monitor bezzles.[/quote']

.......Not without sqwishing the boxes. Then you have to scroll on both aplications to see all of the data.

......Trust me. If you ever run 2 video cards & 2 monitors on your computer, you'll never go back to a single monitor again.

:cyclops:

Gods I miss my main computer!!

:(

Was just looking through on of my old comp mag and found an artical where they built a pc from scratch for £900 which was faster than a £2500 Alienware system. The magazine was pc format and it was issue 159.

In the years I have been using PC's one thing i have learned is never buy the top of the range kit, and go for the model below.

£300 ($500) for the latest graphics card is stupid kinda money, Im at the moment running a ATI Radieon 9600, granted its not the best graphics card to play half life 2 etc etc but it still does a good job and Call of duty runs very well online.

If only I could find a means for it... ;)

So IMHO you either:

Are very very stupid to spend 20.000 euro´s on a machine that will be outdated within a year or.....

Recently won the lottery and have no clue what to do with your money or.....

A Bank Robber (people that didn´t have to work for their money tend to spend it very easy)

Not telling the truth or....

Still sleeping having a weird dream.

Here´s some free advice: read neomasters post and think about it.

With the greatest respect....

SLI baby SLI!!!!That's the way of the future, up to 4 monitors and if you want better graphics you can have 2 of them run games and the other aps. And along with this dual xeon or Opetron processors, that way you can play and encode without any loss of preformance. The way to do this ABS PCs They are at a realistic price and they have all the pimpin' options as alienware, without the alienware premium. They even have graphics designer stations!!!!!!!1

I just built a new system for the first time ever and surprisingly it only took me about 40 minutes to complete the assembly. It was well worth the investment that I put into it.

The only thing to really worry about is static electricity so make sure to get a wrist strap to ground yourself before touching the component parts and you'll be fine.

Custom Computers have their benefits but for MOST people a dell computer would suffice.

Building your own computer gives you the joy of actualy making something with your own hands even though what you really are doing is plugging things together. And as others have mentionedit gives you the options of putting together what you like.

However there are several problems with custom computers. Over the years I have assembled several (~12) computers for myself/my work/friends. Here are the issues I have faced at least with half of those I have built:

1. -Problems with parts not working and you dont know which part doesnt work. You have to have spare memory, video card and motherboard to test out which part is not working or which part is messed up.

-then you have to return/rebuy the part from your local store which was expensive to begin with because you didnt buy online. But if you went the cheaper route of buying online, you have to RMA the product and you pay for shipping + your own labour/time and frustrations add up! I have done it several times.

- If you buy it used on ebay, forget about returning or RMA'ing the product.

2. -Problems with Bios and Installations. There are several problems from installing Serial ATA hard drives to correctly configuring Memory Timing settings.

3. ::::::Expensive::::::::: This task becomes REALLY expensive becuase the ammount of time you spend reseraching which part is "good" , which parts are compatible, where to buy it for a few $'s less, all adds up to quite alot of MONEY. You know what they say, TIME is MONEY.

I am not saying building your own PC is not worth it at all or it is never a good idea. For some people thats the only thing they should do. If you are going to spend 3000 dollars on an alienware PC, might as well save $1500 and build your own for 1500 dollars.

The Lessons I have learned is that I could have done very well with a Dell Dimension 3000 with a P4 2.8Ghz with mediocr parts and warrenty that sells for around $350-$400 and save myself Cash, Time, and headache.

In the past year I have found out that you could easily buy a top of the line Dell computer for significantly less than building your own computer. THey are quieter, work out of the box and you get 1-3 years warrenty at home service.

Someone mentioned that if your Dell computer gets fried, you would have to get a delll motherboard to replace it. Thats absolutely true for the motherboard however if it is under warrenty, dell would have to replace it for no charge. And if you have already had the computer for more than 2-3 years when it is past warrenty time then it is probably time to get a new computer IF it gets fried.

Compaq/HP, gateway and others are plain over priced becuase they add retail expense to the price of computers and their support sucks!

MAC's are good stable PC's but their high price and there is not enough software support for its OS. Sure they have every software you need but you dont have the tremendous options you have for windows. And the reason it is stable is probably becuase of the fact that you only have limited choices for its software. Many times my computer crashes after I have infested with 300 different applications which probably confuse the heck out of windows OS with all its dll and keys... not to mention the 100s of adware/trojans/viruses that even anti-viruses dont know about.

Here is my latest custom Built PC:

AMD Athlon 3500+ $270

ASUS A8V Deluxe with Wifi $130

1GB Corsair Dual Channel RAM $155

2x36GB 10K RPM Raptor in RAID 0 $150

80GB 7200 RPM Western Digital $60

DVD+/-RW $50

Antec Sonata Case/380W Ultra Quiet $99

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb $150

Its a great fastttt computer but after I have it for a few months, I dont know if I really need it.. I would have been happy with a dell $400 computer that would have done everything that I needed to do. maybe I will sell it on ebay!

I know they have been bought out by HP, but some already built systems such as compaq's are terrible, I made the mistake of buying a "ready made" machine. after afew months I wanted to add a slave drive, popped the case open, not bloody spare bays to slide the drive in. I ended up taking out the floppy drive.

Thats what happens when your lazy and cant be arsed with building one lol

Interestingly enough there is lots of problems with upgrading your Already made computer from anyone of the big 3 computer makers. Although dell is the least problematic but it stil has problems. One of the dell computers I bought had no railings for putting in a floppy drive. I had to spend $20 bucks to get their floppy drive with railings instead of being able to just buy a $7 floppy drive.

Also once I needed support from dell technical service about putting in a hard drive into their computer, they refused support unless I bought the hard drive from them. It was ridiculous. It was a simple question regarding bios setup which I figured out in 5 minutes by myself but I was pissed off that the technical support didnt help me.

So yes if you are considering upgrading your computer in the future or thinking of new technology, custom build computer are the best. But if you are happy with just what you buy for the next 2-3 years and dont meddle too much in computer parts then go with already built dell.