"Family Friendly"

elderbear

I thought I would read through the posts before making my choice and after what I read I chose that I have a concrete idea of what it is.

I agree with pretty much everything that has been said, I wont recap. I think we have a good basis for self regulation.

I liked Han's comment to be more logical, especially for "controversial" topics. any good argument should be based in logic B)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that any subject can be discussed if the participants remain civil, courteous, logical and in a way detached. It's when you get too passionate about something that the fire rises and the flames can start, when you don't think before you post.

WTF?

I wonder, is that Family Friendly? :D

Just as family friendly as the "What the fudgecicles?" I hear kids say ...

And for stuf like RTFM, it's Read The Fine Manual or FUBAR is Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition.

I'm thinking I say a lot of stuff to my kids that would apall other parents. I recently had a great discussion of gay marriage with my 12-year-old daugher and her best friend, age 11. Her friend had a lot of deep and beautiful things to say that surpassed what I expect from most adults. Not many parents would have had that discussion.

Note that I said "in front of" and not "with". I would discuss practically anything *with* a child. Open honest discussions with children are great. However discussing things in front of children is a whole different matter. The tone and language people use when speaking with another adult often are not appropriate for discussions in front of children. For instance, who would say "yeah I boned her and it was fantastic" to their 7 year old? That would be inappropriate. However answering a question with "yes daddy is having a relationship with Julie but the nature of the relationship is private and shouldn't be discussed with others" would be somewhat appropriate. (My daughter is only 4 months old so at this stage I'm far from an expert with regard to talking to children although lots of my friends have older children.)

I agree with much of what's been said and I think that some less 'airy fairy' guidelines need to be drawn up. People say things that offend others. It happens. However if we can minimise the chances of that occurring then things might be a little more harmonious on the forums.

I'm not sure if this is offtopic or not, but if we had more smilies then maybe some things are less likely to be misunderstood?

Actually that's always a good indicator of tone, I tend to use them a lot...unless I am in the process of telling someone off :)

Now I am not saying that we shouldn't have rules' date=' but what I am saying is that everyone draws the line at a different point, and some really don't draw it at all. Hence the problem in defining "family friendly."[/quote']

That says it all, even better then I did, or could at the time.

I hate being a hard-ass anywhere but there are rules and regulations I stick to' date=' so as a moderator I enforce those rules and regulations because I take that task quite seriously.[/quote']

Ahh man... you used hard and ass in one sentence, actually as one word in a sense really!!! You have NO idea how offened I am by that! How can I possibly take YOU seriously now!?

:p

I hate being a hard-ass anywhere but there are rules and regulations I stick to' date=' so as a moderator I enforce those rules and regulations because I take that task quite seriously.[/quote']

Ahh man... you used hard and ass in one sentence, actually as one word in a sense really!!! You have NO idea how offened I am by that! How can I possibly take YOU seriously now!?

:p

But I know you fairly well now and know you're pulling my paw. It's a good example however and I'm glad you spotted it ;)

Hmm, an idea crossed my mind. Some of the other forums I occasionally visit have a seperate section, which requires a seperate password. Everything that is CLEARLY NOT family friendly is discussed in this section. Maybe that's an idea you can implement here and keep everybody happy!

Yep' date=' I suggested something similar earlier on in the thread regarding 18+[/quote']

Only problem would be then how to verify the age, so you can distribute the password I guess. Maybe a series of selected questions would do the trick?

Most forums have an AUP. Usually for the 18 rated ones it is a case of allowing access based on the birthdate of the forum user...of course this is not foolproof but anyone caught masquerading was banned.

Edit: Yep, some kids actually owned up to being kids on the 18+ section of the forums...but the admin was too annoyed to let them off.

I've got a question.....

Do some adults with families and children of various ages who visit this forum, ever sit here reading and replying to these threads with their young children on their laps, or their children looking over their shoulders?

To me, young above, is anyone under the age of about 13 years old, and in this day and age, probably younger.

It could be just me, but posting here on the forum with a young child on your lap seems... unusual to me ^^'. From my experiences, that would be an exercise in futility anyways, given virtually all kids would want to play on the keyboard too ^^'

Family friendly doesn't just mean that you have to be aware of potential children reading the messages. Some grown-ups are "family men" or "family women" and don't like to read offensive materials themselves. So then... family friendly means more than "child proof" but what would be generally considered family values (adult and child alike).

As long as people remain civil and so forth, anything can be discussed. If there is a place for rough topics then unless Nite creates another specific forum it should really be in the Mirror Universe.

It's when people get bent out of shape, name calling and offensive behaviour start, that's when I personally have a problem with it.