"Family Friendly"

elderbear

WTF?

I wonder, is that Family Friendly? :D

Just as family friendly as the "What the fudgecicles?" I hear kids say ...

And for stuf like RTFM, it's Read The Fine Manual or FUBAR is Fouled Up Beyond All Recognition.

Take the fun out of everything :p

Anyway, I know what's not family-friendly when I see it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she wasn't against letting Paris leave the ship.

If you mean Episode 19 of season 2 (forgot the title), er... no. In the end, paris was a key player in outting a maquis spy in that ep, when he 'decided to leave the ship'.

The spy? You guessed it! Some dude in Engineering that was never before seen or heard from prior to that ep :) God! I wish it was Neelix

When the concept of 'Freedom of Speech' was first made' date=' the makers couldn't have possibly imagined a world like ours... the concept has to be improved on to make sure that those with money control don't exclusively control what people hear...[/quote']

Quick history lesson:

When all Americans were still English, the crown had ultimate power. If anyone did or said anything contrary to the King they could be thrown in prison or executed. In short... speak bad about the king, lose your head (literally).Seeking to escape the injustice of such a government, the american colonies threw off the yoke of the English crown in a paper entitled "the declaration of independence".

After a bloody war against the English, the rebels at last threw off the tyranny of the English crown, and an indpendent American state (the USA) was created.

To assure that the atrocities on personal freedom would never happen again, a constitution was created. One of the things mentioned in this document was the Freedom of Speech. This assured that people would always be able to question the actions of their government without fear of being jailed or executed.

This same prinicipal stands today. You can talk bad about the government all you want... and in fact, many people do... without being thrown in jail. You have freedom of speech. The purpose of this freedom was never to insure that people could talk (figuratively) as loudly as anyone else. It was to insure that all had the right to say what they want without fear of reprisal. It is a perfect law.

The question of who controls media is a completely different issue that has nothing to do with freedom of speech. You cannot claim that you do not have freedom of speech just because you cannot compete for bandwidth with CNN or FOX. I agree that something needs to be done about money controlled media... perhaps something new should be added to the constitution to address this issue. But first of all we need to understand what freedom of speech really is, and is not, so that we can rightly discern the problem and then adress it correctly.

Yes, anyone who said anything against the King was guilty of sedition. Sedition was punishable by death. The King is a goofy man, oops! I'd be guilty of sedition. Oh no! No! Not sedition! What an evil crime. Just like anybody in the US who says anything anti-Bush or anti-US military is guilty and pushed out of the country. Freedom of speech dosen't even exist in Canada.