Draw the Line

elderbear

i think it's okay to have to different standards. Because they are two different entities run by two different people, for two different purposes.

Do you think all things in life should be exactly the same? If so, then who enforces the sameness?

Excuse me, but, I was asking Andreas (SoulReaper) that question, not you. I'm not clear why you decided to chime in and quote me about it, especially when I could care less either way. My point was directed at him, not you, or anyone else.

Family friendly doesn't just mean that you have to be aware of potential children reading the messages. Some grown-ups are "family men" or "family women" and don't like to read offensive materials themselves. So then... family friendly means more than "child proof" but what would be generally considered family values (adult and child alike).

Right, EXACTLY!

And, would you not agree that since all of us are different, and see things differently, that this right there, confounds and confuses the issue a great deal between us all?

So, where and how do you draw the lines? What and who's examples do we use? Yours? Mine? Others?

And please do not direct comments that I made today, back to myself, after I already made them elsewhere to YOU, using different words.

[no moderator hat on - just personal reflection]

"Profanities" have little value in communication when overused. I'm not worried about the age of people viewing the site - (almost) anybody who reads WTF knows what it means. Whether one reads f*ck or the spelled out word, we all know what it means.

Overuse of any form impedes useful communication. Using the asterisk or a euphemism implies a valuing of conventional communication rather than the private "vulgarity" (in the root sense of vulgar, rather than an entirely pejorative sense) that many of us use.

I'm not a prude - and I can be a pretty raw and vulgar guy - even at work. But I'd rather not see a lot of it online. Perhaps it goes back to what StevenofNine said about rational discourse. One signal that a person is working rationally instead of from their emotions is control of speech and adhering to certain conventions of courtesy.

I'm not making an absolute statement - I'm sure I've spouted my share of euphemisms, and will probably continue to do so. But as an ideal, I'd rather see more expressive, creative speech - both from myself and others.

And no, I'm not trying to tell anybody else how to communicate - that's not my business w/o the mod hat on.

This entire topic grew out of my curiousity as we were discussing "family friendly." I'm still finding it enlightening - and I'm learning about myself as I try to pin things down. The family friendly topic grew out of a comment (and ensuing PMs) I made on the Voyager fill-in-the-blank game. Funny how many things there are to explore as we come together with diverse opinions, backgrounds, and perspectives.

Lee I think I would differantiate between the IRC channel and the forum, mostly because of the fact that whatever we write "here" is more or less carved in stone and put up for everyone to witness, while on IRC it's said more casually, like in a direct conversation, plus that most people don't pay attention on IRC unless being directly adressed OR continually in/out of the main conversation going on, and that IRC goes on and on in a faster manner (as described above) so "profanities" are usually 'washed away', swiftly, in the tide of communication so to speak.

As I said before, for myself, I'm an extremely tolerant person, I don't mind much, still I'd like to keep the forum clean or clean-er and I try to promote a fairly mannered speech "here" due to many reasons. Add up what I posted earlier before you stated this question.

As for myself, usually when I speak I always carefully select the words I'm using. Sometimes F***** words and likewise ARE more appropriate for the communication, and I tend to use those on occasion when speaking in real life. Besides, I hate sticking things under wraps, because I don't believe in lies, so why hide words I'm using and pretend them to be otherwise?

I did though like what Elder posted; "I feel like a fly in the urinal" a funny and creative way of using so called 'strong words' in a clean manner.

Very creative.

Still for myself, I speak my mind and 'bad words' pop up now and then because I intend them to. Simple as that.

A thought: I see no need for prudes, as usually that behaviour is anchored in a narrowminded lifestyle/beliefs etc. Perhaps some people have a tremendous need to live under wraps, but I certainly don't, can't stand it, but I do respect those who believe themselves to have that need anyway.

I hope this answered your question.

/Andreas

Fucking eh guys, I'm all the fuck for toning down the fucking language up in this mother fucker. Fuck it, while we're at it let's only use our invites to invite children here, get the kids downloading at an early fucking age. Then we can change the fucking format from sci-fi, and science shit to Disney, Telletubbies, and whatever the fuck those little shit machines are into these days, god damn it.

And instead of having a goddamned scary and intimidating black, grey and gold color scheme, maybe we can liven it up with some brighter, friendlier colors, and cartoon charecters or some shit while we're the fuck at it, ya sons of bitches.

Do you feel, and think, that's it's okay for you or others (myself included) to swear fairly often in public in the IRC chat channel, and yet not too much, here in the forums?

Yes, to a degree (see above post).

None of my business, but do you really have the time to waste typing these words?

I like to use them like salt and pepper sometimes, but I can type a conversation faster if I skip words I don't need, including adverbs.

Do you feel, and think, that's it's okay for you or others (myself included) to swear fairly often in public in the IRC chat channel, and yet not too much, here in the forums?

Yes, to a degree (see above post).

None of my business, but do you really have the time to waste typing these words?

I like to use them like salt and pepper sometimes, but I can type a conversation faster if I skip words I don't need, including adverbs.

If I have the time to waste? What kind of question is that? It'd be obvious that if I CHOOSE to take time to write this, I've taken the time, there's no waste.

Like salt and pepper.. didn't I just say that in my two posts above? I thought that was equally obvious (especially if you had been speaking more with me..)

S0V13T: :D :D :D :D hahaha

[back to topic...]

The way I see it, if we spand most of our free time posting in forums, and chatting on IRC, we DO have the time to waste / invest. However you wanna see it.

The IRC channel dosen't have any kind of curse filter, so I feel free to bring out the sailor speak whenever the situation calls for it. Hell, I'm there right now cursing a red line, just to see myself do it. The forums do have a filter, so I take that as a hint that cussin' isn't cool, and keep my language / subject matter as PG-13 as I can.

Guest c4evap
The way I see it, if we spand most of our free time posting in forums, and chatting on IRC, we DO have the time to waste / invest. However you wanna see it.

The IRC channel dosen't have any kind of curse filter, so I feel free to bring out the sailor speak whenever the situation calls for it. Hell, I'm there right now cursing a red line, just to see myself do it. The forums do have a filter, so I take that as a hint that cussin' isn't cool, and keep my language / subject matter as PG-13 as I can.

Makes sense.

BTW...I noticed your icon. The guy is leaning to the left slightly and has his hands jammed into his coat pockets. He is obviously a transsexual double agent who dislikes chocolate and sexes up alligators. His skull appears a bit elongated as well. I'd check into that if I were you fella...

c4 ;)

Makes sense.

BTW...I noticed your icon. The guy is leaning to the left slightly and has his hands jammed into his coat pockets. He is obviously a transsexual double agent who dislikes chocolate and sexes up alligators. His skull appears a bit elongated as well. I'd check into that if I were you fella...

c4 ;)

Hey, that's how I dress when I hang out at elementery schools during recess / lunch time, etc. I always have candy in the car, and funny stories to tell....

I'm nbot to osure what to make from your asessment of my avatar... but I know someone who WOULD know! *turns on the Boris Signal*

Thanks for your take on things, Andreas...

I think one of the reasons I brought that up about the IRC channel was...

Remember a few weeks ago, when BorisP started that thread where he posted that PM from c4 on the Forum? Well, Fen pointed it out to me shortly after I got home from work that day, and after I read it, I wrote something along the lines of: "What a F###ing scumbag!!!" on the IRC channel, Well, someone that we all know there, a male, seemed offended by that, and actually asked me to watch "my language."

Anyhow, go figure. I didn't say anything back, and since then, don't think I've used that word again there. Oh well...

Guest c4evap
Thanks for your take on things, Andreas...

I think one of the reasons I brought that up about the IRC channel was...

Remember a few weeks ago, when BorisP started that thread where he posted that PM from c4 on the Forum? Well, Fen pointed it out to me shortly after I got home from work that day, and after I read it, I wrote soemthing along the lines of: "What a F###ing scumbag!!!" on the IRC channel, Well, someone that we all know there, a male, seemed offended by that, and actually asked me to watch "my language."

Anyhow, go figure. I didn't say anything back, and since then, don't think I've used that word again there. Oh well...

My hero!

c4 ;)

There are certain situations where a swear is actually useful... when conveying EXTREME displeasure, for example. In those cases, I'd say allow the swear because it emphasizes an emotional point. Overusing it, though, is NOT a good thing... ^^

Frankly, how many 'children' come here? Odds are, if the 'children' are over 12, they're swearing like sailors already on their own time...

When words are accepted into common usage are they still considered vulgar? Watch just about any prime-time drama nowdays and the lack rather that the use of such words would be notable.

Personaly i think that resorting to those phrases shows both lazeness and a lack of imagination. But i guess it is easier to say F*** You that it is to come up with something more origional.

Oh if only we were all blessed with the verbosity of Blackadder.