what are your top five singles and albums?

maverick

am curious to know what ur all listenin to.......cos i am nosy

my top 5 singles (even tho some may be album tracks)

1. born to run - springsteen (he's a bit of a god i my house)

2. new york state of mind - billy joel

3.london calling - from the must have album of the same name by the clash

4. prince charming - adam and the ants (fun!)

5. please call me baby - tom waits (obscure but my favourite album - the heart of saturday night)

i could go on all day..........................but i wont :D

In No particular order

1) Dead Kennedys - Moon Over Marin

2) Pearl Jam - Immortality

3) KMFDM - Inane

4) Blood for Blood - Ain't Like You (Wasted Youth II) >-- Possibly the greatest song ever written

5) Billy Corgan (Covering Frank Sinatra) - My Blue Heaven

Guest c4evap

1. Edge Of The Ocean - IVY - (Long Distance)

2. Transmaniacon MC - Blue Oyster Cult - (Self Titled 1st. release)

3. Girly - Refreshments - (Fizzy Fuzzy Big & Buzzy)

4. Sausalito Summernights - Diesel - (Watts in a Tank)

5. Playing In The Band - Grateful Dead/Bob Weir - (ACE)

NET065.jpg

C4 B)

Huuurrrrmmm.... In no particular order, here's five tracks stored on my PDA pretty much constantly. I think it gives a fair enough sample of my tastes.

Key of the Twilight - .hack//Sign OST

Close to the Edge- Yes

Velvet Green - Jethro Tull

Free Bird - Haibane Renmei OST

The Wing and The Wheel - Nanci Griffith

Shade and Sweetwater,

Nightopian ^_^

* Symphony X - Through The Looking Glass

* Lemur Voice - Deep Inside

* Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy

* Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 1

* Anything from the rest of my special 'playlist' within the given range; gamemusic, moviesoundtrack (symphonic), classical, deathmetal, fusion, acoustic and progmetal.

;)

Lately it has been a matter of control, among other struggles in my lif, so here are the top five hits played on the Str82u home network:

At Number 5 - Godsmack with "I Stand Alone"

Number 4 and 3 respectivly are From ZZ Top (Them Boys From Texas) and I'm usually "Waiting For The Bus" while "Jesus Just Left Chicago"...

Since the 90's did so much too me I have to hit a lick there and it's always something Motley like "Kickstart My Heart"

Then Finally, to polish everything off I end with something like The Beatles. Usually it's "Can't Buy Me Love", but lately "The Long And Winding Road" has taken the place of something cheerful.

All Subjects, titles, contents, authors, events, offers, truths, times and realities are subject to change at any time

am curious to know what ur all listenin to.......cos i am nosy

my top 5 singles (even tho some may be album tracks)

1. born to run - springsteen (he's a bit of a god i my house)

2. new york state of mind - billy joel

3.london calling - from the must have album of the same name by the clash

4. prince charming - adam and the ants (fun!)

5. please call me baby - tom waits (obscure but my favourite album - the heart of saturday night)

i could go on all day..........................but i wont :D

I have to agree with Springsteen and The Clash. But how come you don't have any Captain Sensible or The Damned on your list?

Guest c4evap

Single songs??? Maybe 5 albums.

What are albums? :p

ALBUMS:

Before the advent of magnetic tape and digital CD technologies, flat disks made from a petroleum-based plastic called vinyl were the preferred media for popular music reproduction. Vinyl records replaced an even earlier system of wax-based cylinders which acted as both recording and playback units. By the 1920s, portable turntables called Victrolas and elaborately decorated record players had replaced the old cylinder players in most homes. Vinyl was found to be more durable than wax and much easier to store.

Vinyl records are formed at the end of a long recording process. Performers assemble in a special room designed to deaden extraneous noise. Vibrations from their voices or instruments are fed into an electronic microphone. As these vibrations are received, a wax disk spins at a designated speed. Originally this speed was 78 revolutions per minute with a ten-inch disk, but later the music industry adapted a 33 rpm speed for 12 inch (30 cm) disks and a 45 rpm speed for 7 inch (18 cm) disks, often called singles. Some spoken word albums actually turn at 16 rpm, but these albums are rare.

The wax disk spins at a constant speed while a sharp needle carves out a groove from the outside edge towards the inside. The vibrations from the recording session cause this needle to vibrate as it moves, recreating the sound waves of the original voices or instruments. This wax disk is used as the model for a master disk made from metal. Vinyl plastic is later melted and injected into the machine with the master disk. As the metal disk is pressed into the pliable vinyl, the groove is recreated precisely. A record player's needle picks up the vibration pattern in the groove and an electronic amplifier magnifies the sound for the listener. Even if a player is turned off, the action of the needle and the record can still reproduce some sound.

Vinyl records became popular for reasons other than storage and reproduction. Musicians discovered that the covers and sleeves used to protect the vinyl could also be used for artistic purposes. Songs could be compiled on 12 inch (30 cm) disks called albums, or smaller collections could appear on EPs, short for Extended Play. Popular songs from albums could be marketed as singles on 45 rpm disks.

Unfortunately, the fragile nature of vinyl records proved to be their commercial undoing. Cassettes made with durable magnetic tape became increasingly popular during the 1970s, followed by the revolutionary digital technology of the CD or compact disc. Vinyl records are still produced in small quantities for amateur musicians on a budget or performance artists who use vinyl records for an effect called scratching. Many people collect vinyl records as a hobby, preferring the organic sound of a record to the sterile but more perfect sound quality of a CD.

c4 :p

my top 5 albums:

1. tom waits - the heart of saturday night

2. the offspring - smash

3. grosse point blank - OST (has to be there i listen to it a lot)

4. herbie hancock - takin off

5. diana krall - the girl in the other room (anyone laughs and theyre on kitchen duty for a fortnight)

Single songs??? Maybe 5 albums.

What are albums? :p

ALBUMS:

Before the advent of magnetic tape and digital CD technologies, flat disks made from a petroleum-based plastic called vinyl were the preferred media for popular music reproduction. Vinyl records replaced an even earlier system of wax-based cylinders which acted as both recording and playback units. By the 1920s, portable turntables called Victrolas and elaborately decorated record players had replaced the old cylinder players in most homes. Vinyl was found to be more durable than wax and much easier to store.

Vinyl records are formed at the end of a long recording process. Performers assemble in a special room designed to deaden extraneous noise. Vibrations from their voices or instruments are fed into an electronic microphone. As these vibrations are received, a wax disk spins at a designated speed. Originally this speed was 78 revolutions per minute with a ten-inch disk, but later the music industry adapted a 33 rpm speed for 12 inch (30 cm) disks and a 45 rpm speed for 7 inch (18 cm) disks, often called singles. Some spoken word albums actually turn at 16 rpm, but these albums are rare.

The wax disk spins at a constant speed while a sharp needle carves out a groove from the outside edge towards the inside. The vibrations from the recording session cause this needle to vibrate as it moves, recreating the sound waves of the original voices or instruments. This wax disk is used as the model for a master disk made from metal. Vinyl plastic is later melted and injected into the machine with the master disk. As the metal disk is pressed into the pliable vinyl, the groove is recreated precisely. A record player's needle picks up the vibration pattern in the groove and an electronic amplifier magnifies the sound for the listener. Even if a player is turned off, the action of the needle and the record can still reproduce some sound.

Vinyl records became popular for reasons other than storage and reproduction. Musicians discovered that the covers and sleeves used to protect the vinyl could also be used for artistic purposes. Songs could be compiled on 12 inch (30 cm) disks called albums, or smaller collections could appear on EPs, short for Extended Play. Popular songs from albums could be marketed as singles on 45 rpm disks.

Unfortunately, the fragile nature of vinyl records proved to be their commercial undoing. Cassettes made with durable magnetic tape became increasingly popular during the 1970s, followed by the revolutionary digital technology of the CD or compact disc. Vinyl records are still produced in small quantities for amateur musicians on a budget or performance artists who use vinyl records for an effect called scratching. Many people collect vinyl records as a hobby, preferring the organic sound of a record to the sterile but more perfect sound quality of a CD.

c4 :p

They made records out of vinyl?!?!? How weird! ;)

Actually I have a large vinyl collection. Even some original Beatles and Stones albums from the 60's.

the five singles i like the most:

1- Master of Puppets - Metallica

2- Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - Metallica

3- Somewhere I Belong - linkin park

4- Big In Japan -Guano Apes

4- Plug In Baby - Muse (sorry but i can't decide which one i like most so they are both the 4th.)

5-Broken Home -Papa Roach

Top five albums:

1-Master of Puppets - Metallica

2-Black Album - Metallica

3-Hybrid Theory - Linkin Park

4-Fallen - Evanescence

5-A Real Dead One - Iron Maiden

Albums:No order...(these days)

1) Al Stewert "year of the cat"

2) Nick Drake "Bryter Layter"

3) Sonic Youth "evil"

4) Furtwangler, Beethovens 9th (1937 recording)

5) Marvin Gaye "The Very Best of" (volume 1&2)

Singles:

1) Sniff 'n' the Tears "Drivers Seat"

2) Raspberrys "Go all the way"

3) Discharge "Discharge"

4) David Bowie "Young Americans"

5) Ronettes "Be my Baby"

Check MediaPlayers most played would indicate sigle songs/tracks as:

1. Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (live version from "Pulse")

2. Kate & Anna McGarrigle - I Cried for us

3. Sarah McLachlan - Possession (live version on Mirrorball or solo piano version from BBC Session)

4. Richard Strauss - Morgen (sung Barbara Bonney)

5. Carole King/Louise Goffin - Where You Lead I Will Follow

Albums:

1. Sarah McLachlan - Mirrorball

2. Rick Wakeman - Criminal Record

3. Nina Simone - Jazz as Played at an Exclusive Side Street Club

4. Bartok - Piano Concerti 1&2 - (Kovacevich/Davis)

5. Ordinary Man - Christy Moore

And currently listening to Richard & Linda Thompson - I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight (track and album)

top 5 albums:

1) Crass - Christ the Album

2) Xiu Xiu - A promise

3) My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

4) Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

5) Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-tang:the 36 Chambers

top 5 singles:

holy shamoly i will have to think about that one, albums were hard enough to do.