A Moment of Your Time Please

xtremeskiing

It has occured to me that no one, here, at my school or on TV has put any thought into words regarding the events 4 years ago.

So, for those lost, for those away from home, for those with broken hearts and for those who put their sweat into the recovery and rebuiding; please take this moment to think:

Where were you 4 years ago yesterday, what did you think, and how has that changed. Take a moment of your time and place your thoughts to those who have suffered.

The day I forget is the day the world ends....

Pindell: 9/12/01, repeated 9/12/05

Risen From Ashes...Resiliency of America

[Taken by myself while on coffee break from rebuilding 7 WTC, 8/26/05)

You may post your thoughts, please keep them appropriate and clean.

On the history channel they did some stuff on 9-11 and also on the discovery chanel.

I didn't see any thing on the news though. I know it is beacuse the new is run by liberals extremeist, and they hate america. I am not saying that all liberals hate america but the ones that run the major new stations do. They do not want to show the people what happened 4 years ago beacuse it will riminde people about how america united during the terrorist acts.

On 9-11, i just woke up and headed upsatirs to get breakfast before school. I turned the cornor and my mom was watching the news with wide open eyes. I found out then that America had been attacked by terrorism. I was only in 6th grade or 7th and the extent of my knowlage to terroism was limited to the movie "Air force one" with Harrison Ford.

Now in post 9-11, I train all the time with my friend in military simutaions. I am looking forward to fighting for my country in future wars. I know that by the time i am old enough for combat,America will have emersed herself in to a war with N. Korea, or Iran.

I make a force of nature for me to get military Info about the wars and i whave found a great site for this. http://www.strategypage.com/default.asp

I can never forget what happened on that day, it has forever been burned into my consiousness. I am made sick to think that people are actually aginst the war on terror IN IRAQ; WE ARE NOT FIGHTING IRAQ.

Well this is my 2 cents and i would be pleased that no one step on my beliefs.

I remember the day quite clearly. I was pretty hungover, and staggered accross the street to my friend's house to check my email. I get up to his computer room, he just looks at me and says "Somebody just took out the world trade center, and the pentagon" ... I thought he was joking with me, until I flipped on cnn to confirm... All i thought was, "great, here comes WWIII...."

My respoects and best wishes to families of those who died.

I remember the day quite clearly I was working in telesales at the time, someone brought a TV in and we watched it. All I could thick off was how close it was to a hollywood movie. The reality of it didn't sink until the evening, when I saw new pictures of people jumping to their deaths just before the bulidings collapsed. It was truly horrific.

This kinda says it all...

iwo-9-11-final.jpg

God bless those brave men and women who gave their lives at ground zero on that awful day!

WE WILL NOT FORGET!

c4 :(

on the 9/11 i was in australia on holiday watching t.v. then they switch over at 8.45p.m. westeren aussie time and we saw the second plane going in the otherbuilding we where thinking this cant be true this is a movie till we heard it was real stil cant believe this happend

Where were you 4 years ago yesterday' date=' what did you think,[/quote']

It was 3 pm here when it happened, and we were having a party for our 20st wedding-anniversary which was on that same day.

Then we got a phonecall telling us to turn on the TV and from that moment the party was over and we just watched the news with our mouths open. I remember being scared of the consequences, and in a way I still am...

Next year we'll be married 25 years, but I guess that date will always be tainted now :(

9-11 - 2001, was probably the saddest day of my life.

I never cried so much in my life that day, and in the weeks and months after. I still cry to this day now and then over the event.

I think I am saddened mostly because I feel a loss of us as humans on earth, uniting, and ridding our planet of our issues, and sometime in the future being able to explore the Universe, alongside of races of beings who would seem superior to us.

We all have our own stories to tell.

My older sister is a Flight Attendent with USAir lines, and had just landed in Las Vegas, minutes after the hijackings started. I found out hours later, that she was safe, when she returned my calls to her on her cell phone. She was stranded in Vegas for about 4 days, until the flights resumed over our country.

As Jay Leno said: America, took a sucker punch that day.... it was a low blow from a bunch of cowardly fanatics.

The world will not be safe, until these fanatics, are wiped out in some way, or we as people, evolve past our differences.

To all the souls that were lost, and to all the souls that helped.....

you will not be forgotten...

I was in school - i remember i was in science at the time cause our teacher let us put the radio on to listen to what was going on. I'm in Scotland so i didn't think as much of it as i know some others would have. When i got home i saw what had happened on TV. I was only 11 at the time but it was still scary.....

I was at my friend's house, we were playing computer games and watching TV. When we saw what happened, we thought there is going to be a war. Maybe not WWIII, but a big war that will drag also the whole NATO (so my country, Poland, too). Well, maybe I didn't think I'd be somethink like we have today, but I was generally right. America declared war on terrorism and many countries, including my own, joined it. American, British and Polish troops landed in Iraq and invaded it. Then we stayed there to maintain order and many other countries sent their troops to help. Iraq was then, much like Germany after WWII, divided into 4 zones, where diffent coutries kept their troops and maintained order: two zones were American, one British, and one Polish.

So I guess my fears were correct - it brought war.

It's very sad what happend on 9-11, and it is also sad that it has such terrifying reprecutions all around the world. The war with terrorism will probabaly cost a lot of lives, but it seems necessary...

The world after 9-11, after what happend in Madrit and London isn't the same. We must stand united to defeat our common enemy and not let fear overcome us. And most of all, we must protect our freedoms.

I'm sorry both about the huge space this will take and for the expression of such exclusive religious faith. This is a sermon I preached on Sunday. It is all about September 11th, through the lens of my faith and tradition. I have no need for anyone to share that specific identity and point of view, but there are larger themes that I thought would be relevant to the discussion here.

-freyacat

“September the Seventy-Seventhâ€ÂÂ

Sermon- Seventeenth Sunday after Pentecost

I woke up one morning and knew that I had to get to class- Holy Spirit and the Triune God that morning, taught by professor Stephen Paulson.

As I hopped on 35W in Minneapolis heading down to the seminary, I turned on the radio, and suddenly, the world had gone crazy. There was a woman calling, terrified that she had seen an airplane flying over Minneapolis. It took a little while before the newscaster repeated the events from minutes before to give me the context I needed to understand her fear. Someone had flown a plane into the World Trade Center.

As I walked in a daze through the campus center at Luther Seminary, they had televisions dragged out into the common area. Someone screamed, “they’re falling!â€ÂÂ

Everyone remembers where they were and what they were doing at that moment. It was so dreadful, and carried the sense that it affected all of us. It’s that sense that gives rise to a refrain that we’ve heard time and time again, “September 11th changed everything.â€ÂÂ

The first signs of that change were that airports were shut down, and the churches were flooded, at least in the city. Some hoped that the full churches were a sign that God intended some good to come out of what others had meant for harm.

Then, there were other signs of change. In Minneapolis and other cities around the world, there were reports that some thought that September 11th had changed everything so that Muslim or Arab men, or Mexicans, or people who looked a certain way, could be beaten up or killed on the streets. Vengeance. Someone had to pay, someone had to hurt like we hurt, fear like we feared, the score of 2,752 lives needed to be settled.

Vengeance is the opposite of forgiveness. Vengeance is dealing with another according to their sins, like the Psalm today indicates.

This is the first time September 11th has fallen on a Sunday since those attacks. One of our Lutheran traditions is focusing our attention on a cycle of scripture readings called the lectionary each Sunday. Our texts for this morning were chosen decades before those attacks happened. What are we to make of Jesus saying to forgive seventy-seven times? Does that make any sense as we consider the anniversary of those murders? The 18 men who took control of four planes that day aren’t here to ask for forgiveness, nor would they, probably, if they had lived. But we’ll never know- there is no chance for them to explain or answer for what they did, to face the people they hurt, to reconsider, to repent. The organization called Al-Qaeda continues to plot further destruction and killing. Would forgiveness be appropriate?

Muslims don’t believe that Jesus is the Son of God, but they honor him as a prophet second to Muhammad. I wish those 18 men had heard these words of Jesus and believed them. Because as far as we can tell, they thought that their act was an act of vengeance as well.

The Old Testament, scriptures that both Christians and Muslims regard as Holy, teaches a standard and a limit for vengeance. “An Eye for an Eye, and a Tooth for a Tooth.†Meaning that the punishment must fit the crime. It’s wrong to spend decades in prison for stealing a loaf of bread for example. It helps if the people you’re punishing are the ones who actually committed the crime.

But that’s the thing about vengeance- if it can’t reach or find the one it wants revenge on, it looks for a stand in, a symbol of who or what must be avenged.

Extremists chose buildings that stood for American economic and military power, suggesting that they wanted revenge on the ways in which those powers have been used. But the people who died in the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, and on the planes themselves, in all likelihood weren’t the people making and carrying out the policies that they objected to. The children in the day care at the World Trade Center, the firemen and policemen rushing in to save others, the people leaping from their desks from impossible heights- had any of these committed atrocities against Muslim nations?

September 11th changed everything, became our refrain. A new set of values and priorities were born.

Because of September 11th, an atmosphere of fear would prevail at airports. We would all submit to searches and scrutiny. Non-white people would get the worst of it, but even 6 year old girls were possible terrorists.

Because of September 11th, we could detain people without being charged of a crime, indefinitely.

Because of September 11th, what we check out at the library would now be recorded and perhaps scrutinized.

Because of September 11th, we would change our standards for sending our soldiers to war. Now we could attack and invade if we were just afraid another nation might attack us. Pre-emptive war it was called.

Because of September 11th, we were tempted to justify torture.

When we say that September 11th changed everything, what we mean is that September 11th is now the reality that defines us. The eternal victim. The eternal avenger, who now had the right to a city for an eye and a country for a tooth. Our operation in Afghanistan was first named “Operation Infinite Justice†until some wise advisor pointed out this was blasphemy.

I arrived in class that September morning, and Dr. Paulson was just turning the television off.

“I don’t see how this changes anything that we’ve been talking about.†he said. And he kept teaching. This is some of what I learned.

After September 11th, God is still God, humans are still sinners, and there are still Ten Commandments, among them You shall not kill, You shall not steal, and You Shall not bear false Witness.

After September 11th, Jesus is still Lord, he still saves, and he still forgives, and he still asks us to forgive.

I don’t know if it makes much sense to forgive the Sept. 11th terrorists, or their organization. I would leave that one for a few years down the line, when the threat they represent has dwindled. But I do think that the strength of character and faith represented by the power of forgiveness is deeply needed by us.

I think that an example of that strength of character and faith is found in a group called the September 11th families for Peaceful Tomorrows. The core of this group are about 80 families who lost loved ones in those attacks. Sort of like Joseph in our lesson today, this is a group who has turned their suffering and loss into a commitment to build a better world.

I want to read to you some excerpts from their message for us for September 11th, 2005. I have removed or altered those passages which refer to specific leaders or political parties, because I don’t think those words are right in the context of a sermon. But the message they send I think is very much in the spirit of what Jesus taught in his parable today.

"September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows was launched on February 14, 2002, with the hope that all of our nation's powers -- our political power, legal power, economic power and spiritual power -- rather than simply our military power, would be brought to bear in ending terrorism. In the outpouring of support our nation received after the killings of nearly 3,000 people, we recognized a strength that went beyond military strength. In that international support, we recognized the common cause shared by almost everyone on the planet: the desire for peace, freedom and self-determination for themselves and for future generations.

In July of 2005, faced with the reality that American military superiority had brought peace to neither Afghanistan, nor Iraq- a nation which had nothing to do with 9/11- National leaders admitted that future efforts required "all instruments of our national power, all instruments of the international communities' national power," adding that the solution is "more diplomatic, more economic, more political than it is military." The "war on terror," they said, is better called, "the global struggle against violent extremism."

We applauded the acknowledgement of reality represented by this change in language and strategy. We believe that what was evident to us in 2002 is even more apparent in 2005. Since the founding of our group we have repeatedly requested that the deaths of our family members on 9/11 not be invoked to justify actions leading to the deaths of other family members anywhere in the world.

As we said then, and continue to say today, it is time to acknowledge that an international problem requires a solution born out of international participation. It is time to demand more voices, more ideas, and more participation from everyone. It is time to reconsider whether the choices our nation has made since September 11th, 2001 have made us safer, have made us stronger, or have nurtured freedom at home or around the world.

On September 11th, let us honor our loved ones, and all victims of terrorism, violence and war, with honesty and a renewed commitment to creating a more peaceful and just world for everyone."

To that I would just add that September 11th must not be allowed to define us as a people. September 11th did not change everything. What changed everything was that first Easter morning, when Jesus rose and conquered the power of sin and death. That’s what changed everything. That’s what defines us. That’s where our values and priorities should come from. That’s where the power to forgive without fear comes from.

Amen

9-11 - 2001, was probably the saddest day of my life.

I never cried so much in my life that day, and in the weeks and months after. I still cry to this day now and then over the event.

I think I am saddened mostly because I feel a loss of us as humans on earth, uniting, and ridding our planet of our issues, and sometime in the future being able to explore the Universe, alongside of races of beings who would seem superior to us.

We all have our own stories to tell.

My older sister is a Flight Attendent with USAir lines, and had just landed in Las Vegas, minutes after the hijackings started. I found out hours later, that she was safe, when she returned my calls to her on her cell phone. She was stranded in Vegas for about 4 days, until the flights resumed over our country.

As Jay Leno said: America, took a sucker punch that day.... it was a low blow from a bunch of cowardly fanatics.

The world will not be safe, until these fanatics, are wiped out in some way, or we as people, evolve past our differences.

To all the souls that were lost, and to all the souls that helped.....

you will not be forgotten...

Leno was right, we did take one hell of a suker punch.

I agree that no one will be safe until terrorism is gone, and if that means invading other countires and hurting people feelings then so be it. I will be right along side my fellow American and fight to the death.

In the United states Preamble it says that it is the job of our government to defend its people. In says that you can says it can mean in order to protect our people we need to not only defeat our enemy but kill them before they even attack us. Kinda like section 31 of star trek does.

But this is not a thread for polotics and i will not say here what i truly think. I just want to thank all who helped america in the time of need. All the firefighters, police men, adn other countries that help lead the front on war on terror and i hope you will ba at our side agian just as we will always be at yours. ;)

I was at driving school when it happened. When I got home, my father said something about "The world trace centre is gone" (or something like that). First I thought it was a weird joke, but then I saw it in German television and was shocked.

Most frightening, the moments when the airplanes were crashing into the towers looked pretty spectacular and wonderful - in the most horrible sense. You knew it was no damn movie, no damn pyro-technician pushing a button at the back. This was a perversion.

it was my birthday.

i was in bed and my girlfriend at the time had brought me my present -herself - straight to my bed and we were just erm well you know when the radio reported what had happened.

my thoughts have been with the victims and their families each year.

Leno was right, we did take one hell of a suker punch.

I agree that no one will be safe until terrorism is gone, and if that means invading other countires and hurting people feelings then so be it. I will be right along side my fellow American and fight to the death.

The unfortunate thing is that terrorism cannot be defeated by attacking other countries and what not. Terrorism has been around a long time, and no matter how hard you try, trying to take out terrorism by force is only going to cause more. Its one of those damned if you do damned if you don't things.

Not saying that terrorist cells shouldn't be taken out. But I hate to think that if a terrorist cell launched an attack from my country that the US would invade us...