New Series?

Wazer

son of a..... come to think of it maybe they did time travel but i think i wasn't in a machine, but visa a higher being like the Q... does that count though???

ok i did a bit more thinking...

did the original BSG do any time travel...???

and a long shot but i can vaguely rem a show i think it was called buck roggers (or that was the main char)... surely the wasn't any time travel in that???

:(

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know... ur going for ODESSEY 5... but it was Time Travel none the less... plus ODESEEY 5's main plot is time travel related so u cant count tht out.

Lastly... BUCK ROGERS show's full name was...

BUCK ROGERS in the 24th Century... basically a hypercool retard astronaut travels to the future and somehow becomes an important person and a brilliant ship captain.

Just for the people who didn't know... and yes Bones I thought it was a dumb show too.

Even Lost in Space had time travel... old n new alike.

I think FLASH GORDON didn't have aliens or Time Travel... I cud be mistaken though.

Even ROBOTECH has time travel.

What else !? oh yeah... here's another funny thing... have u noticed most of the Sci Fi heroes have their name start with a J or called by a name tht' starts with J !?

1) James T. Kirk [st- TOS]

2) Jean Luc Picard [st-TNG]

3) Janeway [st-VOY]

4) Jonathan Archer [sT-ENT]

5) Jeffrey Sinclair [b-5]

6) John Sherriden [b-5]

7) John Crichton [Farscape]

8) Jack o'Neil [sG-1]

9) John Shepherd [sGA]

That's all I can think of at the moment. :)

oh yeah.. thought of flash too but dismissed it cause i thought it wasn't really a spacy prog... but on srcathing my head i rem that show was all a about....

damn it will we ever escape time travel!!!!

oh well at least they haven't done it in star wars...... yet!! :)

sNiP

What else !? oh yeah... here's another funny thing... have u noticed most of the Sci Fi heroes have their name start with a J or called by a name tht' starts with J !?

3) Janeway [st-VOY]

6) John Sherriden [b-5]

8) Jack o'Neil [sG-1]

9) John Shepherd [sGA]

Wow quite an interesting coinidence....

Also, I think that vis-a-vis humans being bad, we actually do see that aspect but that it's through the lens of philosophy and self-reflection, not entirely from the perspective of a different culture. I guess the idea is to get us to think about it with a dispassionate view.

Isn't one of the rumours about the will they/won't they Star Trek XI that it's going to be Earth/Romulan war? Of course, given that Paramount have apparently already turned Berman away once... who knows.

One would HOPE that whoever does the next series - if there is one - that they've learned that prequels often cause more trouble than they're worth.

First i'd like to say hello, my first time on here and tbh, i only signed up for torrents at first, in saying that and despite the fact i took me a good hour, i've read through this thread and there are some good ideas, anyways, just to add my 2p worth...

ToS- Undisputed daddy of the sci-fi series genre, mainly due to the fact that computers and the technology todays youngsters take for granted didn't exist, made it take off the way it did, infact it inspired the designs of many of todays gadgets, mobile phones based on communicators, microwave ovens, handheld pc's/notebooks,laptops etc. It captured the imagination in a way that only star wars came/comes close to rivalling.

TnG- The original series remade basically for a new generation (doh!), took the same basic concepts and jazz'd it up with new tech, new characters (still based on the original crew) but with better filming equipment/techniques and technology at their disposal, to be perfectly honest and in my opinion it was the closest they could get to remaking the originals the way they wanted while keeping a newer fancy feel about it.

DS9- Expands on the Star Trek universe/story rather than exploring it focuses on a remote outpost which inadvertantly becomes a majorly important military installation, was a fresh break from the star trek norm while more or less keeping with the tradition but more frontline defense than expansion and exploration, borders on the politically correct with the black main character and heavy religous background.Alot more action than average.

Voyager - Political correctness gone mad, woman captain (annoying as hell at that) black vulcans and crossbreeds. Basically the original and next generation stereo types reworked for the airy fairy ppl.

TNG was my personal favourite, mainly because of the improvements in filming techniques and technology available to the producers etc, if the original series could have been made today with the same cast it would win hands down (not ship or starfleet technology obviously but just the way it was shot and the improvements in sets/make up).

DS9 comes 3rd, loved the increase in action/fighting, new quadrant/aliens etc while still keeping alot of the main star trek races involved, cardassians, klingons, ferengi, romulan (though the change in the nature of ferengi eludes me, i might have missed something, but im sure the first time they were introduced they were more warrior like and vicious, i think it was a tng episode, and suddenly in DS9 they were more like alien del boys who would literally sell their gran for a profit), sisko who i wasn't sure about at first grew on me, and i think the series in general was a refreshing change from the normal space exploration, much more nitty gritty and continuous (when the dominion plot kicked in).

Enterprise - 4th place. At first i couldn't bring myself to watch, set before the original series, but the ships and technology looked much better (all due to the advances in filming i already spoke of obviously) and Scott Bakula, who in Quantum Leap i thought was great, but every episode i kept expecting Al to pop out with ziggy and tell Sam he was about to leap, i only recently downloaded the 4 seasons and watched them through, i almost wet myself when i got to the episode in season 1 where the actor who plays Al in Quantum Leap actually cameo'd as an alien military leader and the main "baddie" of the episode, and my "fear" came true, lol. This really grew on me and i was gutted when it came to an abrupt end in season 4, I liked the way this progressed, granted there was some plot holes/jumps/flaws whatever you want to call it, i personally love it when old questions/mysteries get solved, ie the klingons appearing human in the originals(obviously totally due to the advancements in costumes/make up) but written in as part of the history of the klingons, was obvious they hadn't quite thought about how to tie them in when they did the DS9 episode - trials and tribbulations, when worf is asked why the old klingons looked human but he and future klingons don't, he replies that its and embarassing subject for the klingons, and that was that, so to go back again and tie this in with the eugenics and that klingons basically tried to steal the idea and messed it up, was for me a quite an ingenious and humourous idea. The actress playing Ta Pau (spelling?) did an excellent job of portraying her characters emotional struggle and got away from the wooden vulcan stereotype. Also the attitudes of the crew and overall "sexing up" of the star trek makes it feel more real some of the old stuff was a bit too clean cut at times in my opinion.

Voyager comes 5th coz i totally detested this series, don't get me wrong, the main idea, crew, aliens and general story lines were good, alot of action mixed in with the exploration side of things, good borg involvement(always a good thing) and a decent grasp of the star trek principal, but the whole Political Correctness got right up my nose, a female captain just doesn't work for me (no, i'm not sexist :p ) in saying that, any other woman in the role of Captain Janeway would have eased my pain, but the actress chosen OMFG. The black vulcan thing, now don't get me wrong i'm not a racist (i know some might find my username a touch on the racist side, it happens to be the name my m8s gave me at 15, im now 25, but the origin of thats a diff story :p, just take my word for it, that i don't mean it in a racist way or to offend anyone) but if i remember correctly in any prior engagement with the vulcans in any series, and when spock etc returned to vulcan in the films, there wasn't a black vulcan in sight (yes i know it was because the original series and films were filmed at a time when tv and cinema contained few blacks etc, but come on, black Vulcans but no white Klingons lol, bit too PC for me.

Anyways, back to the topic, merging the original series with tng in Generations was different class, First Contact, for me, is the best Star Trek movie ever , but after that it definately went down hill in my eyes in terms of plot lines, Nemesis semi got back on track but was more like an extended episode than a good film, i truely believe the TnG cast/crew had so much more to give in terms of film and the writers basically let everyone down and gave up to early. DS9 cast/crew also had so much film potential, a decent dominion orientated movie(history of the changelings/gem hadar/vorta), Klingon, Cardassian, Breen - in my opinion we don't see anywhere near enough of the breen or get enough info about them so a good movie or 3 involving all the main Dominion races and a bit about their history/backgrounds with plenty of action and battles. A film about the events from ww3 to first contact, and from first contact to Enterprise would fill in the gaps and bring new interest, ie the struggle to unite the earth and humanity, and the relationship with humans/vulcans and advancement of earth prior to where Enterprise picks up would also be an idea.

In terms of Series, I really think Enterprise had some gr8 potential and wasn't all that bad, season 4 got a bit crazy with an episode about the alternate universe which seamed to crop up out of nowhere and didn't actually lead anywhere or have any purpose other than to time fill and abruptly tie Enterprise to ToS with the discovery of Defiant, before bringing the series to an end, so a continuation of Enterprise with alot more Klingon orientation and picking up on the disgustingly brief introduce of the Romulans and showing some technological advances of StarFleet would make for a good series, an earth based series set before enterprise based mainly on human vulcan relations, if written properly with good plots, could be interesting. A set of mini series or even full seasons could be done about the Empires of the Star Trek Universe, each season/mini series dedicated to each races, Human we already know, but alot of my previous ideas about going from ww3 to Enterprise to ToS to TnGcould be used, Klingons - rise and fall of the Empire could start around the times of Kah`less(spelling?) and progress through to the Dominion Wars era, the same could be done with the Ferengi, Cardassians, Romulans, Vulcans practically any race in Star Trek, so many races only ever get a brief mention or a rough background given, Imagine a series dedicated to the Borg and their history ooooooooh. The Temporal Cold War and any series set that far into the future would rock although could become seriously in danger of turning into a star trek version of quantum leap, would definately have to be done after at least one more good series with at least 7 seasons taking off from the end of nemesis/TnG most likely with Picard and co for a bit then progressing to Riker taking over the Enterprise, a film/series about Doctor Seung (spelling) continueing from where Enterprise left him, to the creation of Data and his "brother" and data's joining the Enterprise crew in TnG. There is endless possibilities and so many things that could/should be expanded upon , i hate remakes of old films etc and at the risk of sounding like a blasphemist dare i even say it wouldn't be that bad an idea to remake the original series? in my opinion its worked with BSG and even though the original is still in a class of its own and will never be bettered in my opinon, i honestly think that remaking the original series would open up star trek to a new generation, at the moment and as with anything done recently with star trek with the exception of Enterprise maybe, you really need to know about the Star Trek background/history to appreciate the Legend and know whats goin on, even the films have gotten to be more or less feature length episodes rather than films. So someone who has never bothered with star trek or doesn't know much about it isn't going to be interested in going back to watch the original series as it is to get a feel for what Star Trek is about, there's no fancy effects and the sets are all foam rubber with rubber aliens and monsters etc, hardly exciting stuff compared to what we could do with it in this day and age, so on that front i reckon a remake of ToS could well possibly save Star Trek.

DAIMN that's a big post !!! :)

Welcome to Niteshadw brother.

'Your SOUL... is MIIIINE !!!'

I guess I agree with whatever I read [sorry man but it really is too big of a post for me to read... and trust me... I write big posts]

But I don't think they shud re-make the TOS... they cud re-edit it... add effects... pump it up but not re-make.

William Shatner is JAMES T. KIRK.

Can't beat that legend dude... seriously... u really can't.

I know... ur going for ODESSEY 5... but it was Time Travel none the less... plus ODESEEY 5's main plot is time travel related so u cant count tht out.

Lastly... BUCK ROGERS show's full name was...

BUCK ROGERS in the 24th Century... basically a hypercool retard astronaut travels to the future and somehow becomes an important person and a brilliant ship captain.

Just for the people who didn't know... and yes Bones I thought it was a dumb show too.

Even Lost in Space had time travel... old n new alike.

I think FLASH GORDON didn't have aliens or Time Travel... I cud be mistaken though.

Even ROBOTECH has time travel.

3) Janeway [st-VOY]

6) John Sherriden [b-5]

8) Jack o'Neil [sG-1]

9) John Shepherd [sGA]

wait a min.....

ah ha being sneaky...eh? :stare:

i think number janeway doen''t count its her last name ergo don't start with J.... :mad:

tut-tut.. :(

jus messin'

Remakes are generally even worse than prequels.

Also - a lot of people seem to be oblivious to the fact that the effects of the original Star Trek were (so I've been told) amazing at the time. So to say that special effects aren't important in Trek seems a tad naive - I mean, let's face it plot and character development have never exactly ranked as ST's strong points.

I'd agree that Star Trek has gotten to the point where it has so much history that it can seem intimidating but then, any franchise that has been around as long as ST has is going to do that.

In my mind, the real problem with Star Trek is that all main species are essentially rendered down to one easily identified character trait. As you idenitifed - the Ferengi were originally pretty warlike and aggressive, with an interest in profit but not really driven by it... they were - apparently - going to be one of the main enemies for TNG but that got shelved when people found them more comical than anything.

Anyway, once that whole profit thing got mentioned it started to factor in more and more (with the exception of the guy after Picard - he was only after revenge). Anyway, by DS9 it becomes a real mystery why a race of snivelling cowards like the Ferengi would have ever challenged the Federation flagship. They'd simply become greedy... and that was about it.

The same happens with the Klingons. They started out as clear imitations of the Russians but that's abandoned after TOS and in season one of TNG, we havebelligerent Klingons who are clearly portrayed as out-dated... of course, this is the cue for them to essentially become obsessed with war to the point where one wonders how they managed to get into space even WITH the Herc.

Then of course the Romulans are inherently sneaky... and I suppose you could essentially consider the Dominion a combination of Klingons (Jem'Hadar are pretty much boring grey Klingons, right?) and Romulans (Founders are sneaky, underhanded, xenophobic and obsessed with domination of the Alpha quadrant... that sounds familiar...)

It's rather unfortunate because it seems to happen for most races, they just get rendered down to one simple identifiable trait... as if being essentially human wasn't simple enough.