Apple will sell TV Show downloads- Legally

TV Man

So what do folks think of this?

All that speculation that Apple Computer would unveil a video iPod on Wednesday was right.

The company also rolled out a new iMac and a new version of iTunes, iTunes 6, just five weeks after the debut of iTunes 5.

The iPod has "been a huge hit for is so it's time to replace it," Apple CEO Steve Jobs said as he showed off the new product at a press event in San Jose, Calif.

"Yes it does video," he said. The music player will come in a 30GB model for $299 and a 60GB for $399. Those are the same prices as current models with the same capacities.

Jobs kicked off the event by revealing a new iMac that will be similar to the current model, but thinner. It will have a built-in iSight camera with still and video capabilities and a remote control with a 10-foot range for music, photos and video.

At the gathering, Jobs used the tiny white remote control like an oversized iPod Shuffle to play a Black Eyed Peas video and an "Incredibles" DVD and also to play home movies and photos.

Through the new version of iTunes, consumers will be able to buy TV shows, in addition to music. Shows available for purchase one day after broadcast will include "Lost," "Desperate Housewives" and "That's So Raven." It will take 10 to 20 minutes to download an episode, said Jobs. Each will cost $1.99 and will be ad-free.

Apple last week sent out invitations that included the words "One more thing..." Wednesday's announcements took place at San Jose's California Theatre, where Apple introduced the U2 iPod and the first color-screen iPod Photo.

Stay tuned to News.com for updates on the new products.

So what do folks think of this?

Through the new version of iTunes, consumers will be able to buy TV shows, in addition to music. Shows available for purchase one day after broadcast will include "Lost," "Desperate Housewives" and "That's So Raven." It will take 10 to 20 minutes to download an episode, said Jobs. Each will cost $1.99 and will be ad-free.

That is a good start although I would prefer a cheeper version (in the .50 to .99 cent range) with or without commercials.

We can rent whole movies for .99 cents or get an entire satelite channel for $1.99.

The good thing in all this is that it should make cable and satelite companies a little more competitive in what they offer.

What apple are on about is some sort of PVR probably with a colour screen, I think they have missed the boat about theses as companies like archos have been making them for a while.

very intrested in the downloading thou, but i bet there more expensive in europe if and when it gets released.

The quality isn't probably going to be the issue, it's probably still going to contain ads. How would you be able to burn it though, isn't the music you download to the iPod now encoded somehow so that only those or iTunes can play them?

The quality isn't probably going to be the issue' date=' it's probably still going to contain ads. How would you be able to burn it though, isn't the music you download to the iPod now encoded somehow so that only those or iTunes can play them?[/quote']

The shows will not contain ads:

Stop, Look and Listen

Always your one-stop music shop, the iTunes Music Store now features music videos and TV shows to buy and own forever. So while you browse more than 2 million songs, 20,000 podcasts and 11,000 audiobooks, you can also preview and download that classic '80s video or the latest episode of "Lost." Watch everything from the comfort of your Mac or PC, as many times as you like. No stuttering video streams, no advertisements, no hassle. Then sync all your songs and videos to the new iPod and take them with you wherever you go. iTunes makes growing your digital music and video collection fast, easy and legal.

Link

As for burning video, I don't know. I do know that with the music stuff from iTunes, you can burn to CD, and then reimport from the burned CD as mp3 files.

garbage! Still don't see why they can't just release the eps for free with ads. I'd rather buy the dvds of a series than pay 2 dallors for a crappy quality ep and I'm sure they'll be laced with drm

What's DRM?

I agree that I'd rather have free downloads w/ commercials. I don't like paying for a show that I have not seen.

troy

DRM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

it basically protects the file from being copied are changed.

the reason I say it's going to be crappy quality is cause itunes songs are crappy quality. Well, it's not crap but it's far from cd quality, so paying a dallor per song is a bit of a rip off in my opinion.

Ipods are more of a fashion statement for people with money. I mean look at this

http://shop.riptopia.com/Browse_Item_Details.asp/Item_ID/121/categ_id/10/parent_ids/0,10/Name/Shugabuds

Yeah I could never understand the Ipod mentality. It sounds little better than a radio, and if I'm going to listen to radio, I'd rather do it for *free* rather than pay.

When I pay real money, I prefer to hear at least 320 kbps MP3.... preferably a lossless format like CD. Given today's massive storage formats, I don't understand the need for lossy audio? I think MP3 should be phased-out.

troy

Be careful to not confuse the iPod device with iTunes store content. They are not one in the same. The iPod will play CD quality rips (44.1k at 16 bit) as AIFF or WAV files) and sound every bit as good as a CD when you go that route.

It is the iTunes content that is sold as mp4 AAC, which is a compressed format (although as those things go, is not that bad), and is going to be have less headroom than a full AIFF/WAV rip.

With the large storage capability on the iPod, there really is little reason to do CD rips as a crappy mp3 file (and buying from iTunes is convenience over quality).

• 3 months later...

i dont relly see what all the fuss over the ipod video is for. it's not new idear like the first ipod was. personaly i cant see what is so good about them you can only play a few different codecs on them and there are better 2nd gen stuff out there that have been out longer. the main thing i dislike about ipods in general is the controls i had a play around with my mates one and it felt bloody horrible. so in the end i decided on a digtal cube i station that has played every codec audio and video that i have put on it with no problems. so i say forget the ipod video there is much better pmp players out there.

Apple is offering these TV shows for download to vamp up sales of their uber-expensive iPods. I personally hate iPods, and that's just because it represents rampant American consumerism (and the fact that I can't buy one :(). But I do applaud Apple for taking the first major step in offering legal TV show downloads.