Transparent Aluminum

MrDad

That sounds really good. I wonder what sort of heat resistant properties it has. Sounds like it should fare quite well against micro meteor strikes, might be seeing it used in spaceships of the future.

Another material that I think is going to be very promising is carbon nanotubes. They have a similar structure to graphite which has very strong bonds in 2 dimensions, but very weak bonds in the 3rd dimension (which is why it makes a good lubricant). In the form of a tube the bonds are actually stronger than diamonds.

Kohlenstoffnanoroehre_Animation.gif

NASA is looking at using it in their space elevator design. And a group in Japan is wanting to use it to create a massive pyramid city (cant find the link unfortunately :( ).

It also has conductive properties so has applications in electronics and also nanotechnology of course hehe :)

Carbon Nanotubes ala wikipedia ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yup, transparisteel - along with plasticrete, durasteel and other... imaginatively titled creation - are Star Wars Expanded Universe, whereas transparent aluminium was made in Star Trek IV.

As to how aluminium can be transparent... well, why is glass?

Basically, it's down to modifying the structure so that various wavelengths of light can pass through it. I think it's basically done by "doping" aluminium with various compounds... The wikipedia entry hasn't got much info but that's about it.

> Basically, it's down to modifying the structure so that various wavelengths of light can pass through it. I think > it's basically done by "doping" aluminium with various compounds... The wikipedia entry hasn't got much info > but that's about it.

that's what happens ...basically, as i understand it and im no QM-pro, the oxynitride-group 'broadens the bandgap' between valence and conductive band of the aluminium, so it probably wont be conductive anymore because light would interact with the conduction band electrons of a metal thus making it impenatrable for varius wavelenght of light...

this is quite nice..i've just some days ago read in de.wikipedia.org ( http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandl%C3%BCcke ) that metal cant be transparent, and well i nearly took it for granted....but you just cant beat clever engineering!