This Begs the Question: "Was Sulu Gay"?

queenhank

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never cared much for his character. But I knew there was something "different" about his presence.

I mentioned this in a thread a while ago, but it was circulating on the scifi boards that another "helmsman" was thought to be a gay character ST:Enterprise.

He's gay? So what?

It's more interesting that (supposedly) Geordi LaForge was going to be a gay character but that got axed and that there was going to be an episode about two gay crew men and strong allusions to AIDS and that was dropped at the 11th hour.

Exactly - if it were to affect his career then perhaps we should take more of an interest. But we learned this well after his career in Star Trek - I personally never had any idea that he was gay so i don't see why it's such a big deal - it dosn't change anything now.

Sorry to digress a tad, but this is one of my pet peeves:

The phrase "to beg the question" means to back away from, or to avoid the question. It comes from the proper usage of "beg" as in to back away - not, as is so often misused - to approach or to "ask" the question.

I wasn't trying to be pedantic - hope it wasn't taken that way - but I'm kind of in a "get things done" mood so I went ahead and risked it.

For what its worth, kottke.org made the point today that with both 'Sulu' and Swoopes coming out has got to be good for the confidance of...

>>First Swoopes and now this...the self esteem of young, gay, basketball-playing Trekkies must be skyrocketing. (I keed, but seriously, pro sports and sci-fi geeks could benefit from more confident & successful gay role models for young people who're feeling less than confident with their sexuality.)<<

originally at:

http://kottke.org/

well i think everyone gets the idea.....

Mos Eisley here we go :)

We mods from the Pegasus Galaxy have no power in this thread or we would move it.

Better yet...where's that trash can?

c4 B)

Sorry to digress a tad, but this is one of my pet peeves:

The phrase "to beg the question" means to back away from, or to avoid the question. It comes from the proper usage of "beg" as in to back away - not, as is so often misused - to approach or to "ask" the question.

This is where it started ^ - now i know how it feels when i go off topic.... :)