This Begs the Question: "Was Sulu Gay"?

queenhank

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the feeling this thread might better be moved to Mos Eisley (as suggested), so... here we go...

moderation: moved to Mos Eisley subforum

The meaning of "Begs the question" has likely changed over the years TetsuoShima. The way you used it initially is the way that it is most commonly understood. The corrected version has likely fallen by the wayside in many countries except possibly countries more closely linked to the origin of the phrase. Language changes..that's a fact. P's and Q's aren't Pints and Quarts anymore so don't mind them; no beer will be lost. ;) . And with the change in the meaning of the word beg, the phrase has come to mean something else entirely. Sorry to disagree with ya manjushri :) . And I also digress.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

George Takai gay? It must have been that happy hypo spray they injected in the Jack the Ripper episode (see what I mean?) :D

As a linguist, I also feel compelled to point out that linguistic societies (such as, for example, the Academie Francaise) tend to have a disproportionate effect upon language change (or lack thereof). The original meaning of the phrase may have been prolonged beyond its natural usage, and we may very well have had the expression nowadays with the meaning that most ascribe to it.

"Begging the question" is the English translation of "petitio principii" (Latin). Defined by H. W. Fowler in "Modern English Usage" (2nd ed., 1965) as "the fallacy of founding a conclusion on a basis that as much needs to be proved as the conclusion itself. Arguing in a circle is a common variety of petitio principii."

c4 B)

.....i like jam tarts. i like sitting in front of a fire with a pint and a newspaper. i like a nice cup of tea from time to time.

.....so, probably does george.

discuss

ummm...your both happy?

I would be too if I had a jam tart. I bet George would be happy also. The connections are endless. How profound Mav. Can I call you Mav?

Well, here's another shocker...

Mr. Spock's ears...they WEREN'T real.

I know, I was surprised too when I found that out!

I'll never be able to watch Star Trek again :(

c4 :p

.....i like jam tarts. i like sitting in front of a fire with a pint and a newspaper. i like a nice cup of tea from time to time.

.....so, probably does george.

discuss

ummm...your both happy?

I would be too if I had a jam tart. I bet George would be happy also. The connections are endless. How profound Mav. Can I call you Mav?

of course you can:D

Well, here's another shocker...

Mr. Spock's ears...they WEREN'T real.

I know, I was surprised too when I found that out!

I'll never be able to watch Star Trek again :(

c4 :p

Ya Right!

Nice try.

Ah...I was making a point...by being facetious.

c4 :thinking: