This Begs the Question: "Was Sulu Gay"?

queenhank

anyway' date=' how do you all know there werent any gay crew? just cos their not running around acting like stereotypical homosexuals. [/quote']

My exact wording was openly gay. Being open about your sexuality DOES NOT neccessarily mean behaving in a stereotypical fashion.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is openly gay? I mean what the hell is openly heterosexual? I just act naturaly I'm not proclaiming anything and most homosexual people I know live the same way

If you mean acting as camp as a row of tents that is not the behaviour of most gay people I know

Why should gay people be open about their sexuality. I dont walk into a bar and tell everyone that I sleep with women?

Please stop pretending to be a pseudo-enlightened homophobe. Openly gay means NOT HIDING your sexuality. Which seems to be your expectation.

You expect a person to observe the heterosexual modes of conduct just so that you can feel more comfortable is it?

Look, at work, you KNOW the blokey-blokey fellas are straight right? Come on, don't bullshit and be straight up about it mate...

This because there are indeed heterosexual modes of conduct THAT DO PROCLAIM to all and sundry that you're straight.

What is truley offensive about what you're suggesting is that on on hand, you announce yourself to have no bias against gay folk, but you expect them to conform to YOUR modes of conduct - as you say "I just act naturaly" BUT IN THE SAME entry you deny the right of others do do just that, to act naturally and just be themselves.

Being openly gay is NOT HIDING your gay. By way of example - you ARE aware of who the faggots are your work right? That's called being openly gay. That's called NOT being in the closet.

You proclaim yourself to be an enlighted soul with gay mates. Good for you.

But this whole debate came about between us because you reckon there's no place in Star Trek for a character that is publicly gay. You're arguement being that at work nobody else is all open about their sexuality, am I getting that right?

BUT I don't hear u complaining about all the heterosexual goings on in Star Trek... why not? I mean, Bashir's crush on Jadzia, Riker & Troi, Worf & Troi, Worf & Jadzia, B'lanna & Tom Paris etc... the list goes on and on AND ON.

No at least be honest. What you propose DOES amount to discrimination. It speaks of a species of homophobia. Sure you're liberal enough that you dont want to see people get criminalized for their sexuality. That's tops that is. But it's obvious it remains something that you don't want to be confronted by. How about a man on man pash?

If that is something that irks you, then you ARE indeed literally a homophobe - afraid of homosexuality. If that is this, maybe you should ask yourself just why that is?

How about a man on man pash?

If that is something that irks you, then you ARE indeed literally a homophobe - afraid of homosexuality. If that is this, maybe you should ask yourself just why that is?

Rofl the old insinuation neither do I want to attend a public execution or an an autopsy. does this make me a necrophile with sadistic tendencies?

BTW I'm always a bit suspicious of over the top blokey behaviour

neither do I want to attend a public execution or an an autopsy. does this make me a necrophile with sadistic tendencies?

No it makes you somebody who fears death and public displays of violence. - You're metaphor isn't consistent with the logic of my example. It might have been if I was suggesting that a man on man pash exited you, in which case I would have use the word homophile instead of homophobe. :p

Me... I don't mind seeing anybody have a good pash. It means that either love or lust is in the air, both of which I find to be perfectly healthy expressions of human nature.

And with regard to your comment that your suspicious of over the top blokey behaviour, it seems that you are quite the advocate of conformity aren't you?

Can't be too gay, can't be too blokey - Just be normal huh?

Well I say STUFF CONFORMITY. It never got society anywhere worthwhile.

not Conformity, just normality without affectation

I prefer people to be themselves without any "look at me I'm so macho I eat bricks for breakfast" or "look at me Im the queen of the may" bullshit most of which behaviour is nothing but affectation

Please dont say that being openly gay involves doing an imitation of a teapot because outside television and the occassional drunked wind up most gays whom I know do not behave like that. In fact many find annoying

not Conformity' date=' just normality without affectation[/quote']

ROFL

That could be the funniest line I've heard here yet.

As to your request not to say that "being openly gay involves doing an imitation of a teapot"... I hope you're being facetious, becuse if anything I'd like to hope my comments here have consistently championed diversity.

Maybe you should try it, living and letting be.

You see, when you get distressed by even the most effeminate fag, or even the most testosterone driven footy boy - it's not them as have the problem its you. ;)

What is openly gay? I mean what the hell is openly heterosexual? I just act naturaly I'm not proclaiming anything and most homosexual people I know live the same way

If you mean acting as camp as a row of tents that is not the behaviour of most gay people I know

Why should gay people be open about their sexuality. I dont walk into a bar and tell everyone that I sleep with women?

good idea. chics wont sleep with you if you go bragging like that

Antipodean makes some good points and as far as i can tell sums things up as they are.

its hard to know how to act when there is so little communication on the subject. i have put my foot in it at work with gay clients on more than one occasion and mainly because i was trying to be pc. and hey guess what it was cos i was uncomfortable with my own feelings. it felt like i could acknowledge the issue for someone else but when it came to my own feelings it was like i had to be responsible for someone elses feelings and i wasnt sure what was the right thing to say.

in general it was appreciated that i was trying pretty hard to get it right.

thing is with gayness i have found is that you can ignore whats outside but not whats inside. my thinking has changed in the last few years as i have been at uni. i used to hang out with friends of mine on the scene in newcastle - which was a lot of fun but is apparently bigger and better since i left - and be comfortable with my own feelings. there was only the occasional lad who would push things too far but on the whole the majority of lads accepted i was straght and made no issue.

sadly when youre forced to accommodate others insecurity that you find yourself avoiding saying what youthink for the sake of having an easy life...

ok waffling now.

on a personal level, i am comfortable with my heterosexuality and encourage individuals to express themselves. the sad fact is however that the majority of people arent ready to accept homosexuality as a norm and i probably argue with that in mind.

not Conformity' date=' just normality without affectation[/quote']

ROFL

That could be the funniest line I've heard here yet.

As to your request not to say that "being openly gay involves doing an imitation of a teapot"... I hope you're being facetious, becuse if anything I'd like to hope my comments here have consistently championed diversity.

Maybe you should try it, living and letting be.

You see, when you get distressed by even the most effeminate fag, or even the most testosterone driven footy boy - it's not them as have the problem its you. ;)

Do you really champion diversity by using the word fag? Many gay individuals find the word offensive you know (or you should know). Why didn't you just say "gay". Everyone would have known what you meant.

c4 :(

Do you really champion diversity by using the word fag? Many gay individuals find the word offensive you know (or you should know). Why didn't you just say "gay". Everyone would have known what you meant.

Fag's a pretty commonly used word in the gay lexicon.

Championing diversity doesn't mean you have to adopt the sterile homogeneity of the vocabulary of political correctness. :p

Fag's a pretty commonly used word in the gay lexicon.

Championing diversity doesn't mean you have to adopt the sterile homogeneity of the vocabulary of political correctness. :p

Being polite is NOT as you say adopting "the sterile homogeneity of the vocabulary of political correctness". The "N" word is pretty common too...would you use that to address a black person?

c4 :thinking:

c4evap: did you read the first sentence of my post?

Look. In the company of my gay friends, fag is not a word that is off limits or one that causes offence. By way of example, even the term fag-hag is one that has currency in the whole english speaking world. I understand what you're getting at, and I appreciate your sentiments - but I do feel you're being oversensitive on this one.

If you still reckon I'm wrong, feel free to msg me.

I'm not sure which world some of the posters here live in but I. along with my friends. straight and gay. live in the real world where our most pressing problems are mortgage repayments wages penion fund etc... sadly as you grow older politically correct posturing takes a back seat to fiscal reality and back on topic I cant remember Sulu jumping anything male or female so the entire original post is invalid

BTW I also hate the taste of pineapple what does that mean I am repressing?

c4evap: did you read the first sentence of my post?

Look. In the company of my gay friends, fag is not a word that is off limits or one that causes offence. By way of example, even the term fag-hag is one that has currency in the whole english speaking world. I understand what you're getting at, and I appreciate your sentiments - but I do feel you're being oversensitive on this one.

If you still reckon I'm wrong, feel free to msg me.

I can't comment on how your gay friends might or might not feel about the use of the word fag. My gay friends take offense at the word. After all, it does have a negative history. If I misunderstood your post I'm sorry. I just don't think it's an appropriate word. That's all I meant.

c4 B)

Who the hells distressed lol I just find it embarressing anyone so ecerly top macho or camp is trying to fool someone maybe?

Never cared much for his character. But I knew there was something "different" about his presence.

I too realized something was strange about the dude... I figured, well either he is gay, asian, or something like that. Jesus, next someone will declare that there was a black woman on this show!

In other words, if you're not gay yourself, this shouldn't concern you... if you're gay, ask if he is single.

G R created a world of acceptance. Being a fan of this show, should mean something else than just liking cardboard widgets!