Defiant VS. Voyager

superman9595

Since lately we're into games to compare ship-qualities, I just felt I had to mention this. Try playing Starfleet Command and compare the Defiant class to the Intrepid class, you'll notice that:

- the Defiants shields are poorer than the Intrepids

- the Defiants firepower is less than the Intrepids

- the Defiant is more maneuverable than the Intrepid

- the Defiant is faster than the Intrepid (on impulse drive that is)

- the firing arc of the Intrepid is a lot better than that of the Defiant

So in that game, it really depends on your tactic which ship suits you better. Hit and run (cowardice tactic) is best suited for the Defiant, persuit course and longitudinal battle is better suited for the Intrepid.

It has to be said that the first Defiant had a cloaking device, that is a bonus, the second one didn't have that advantage anymore, so it doesn't really count any longer...

I stay with my call: Voyager!

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sooo... are we discussing GAME DEFIANT vs VOYAGER !?

or

Series Defiant vs VOYAGER

I never played the game so I cant argue about the capabilities of the ships there.

BUT

The series Defiant is enormously more powerful than the Intrepid class with the anti-proton beam and the quad-cobalt torpedoes and the trademark pulse phaser cannons.

And lastly... let's not leave out the Ablative armour.

Btw... one thing I forgot to mention... the reason Defiant didn't destroy the modified Exelsior was not 'cause they cudn't beat it... they were more than a match but 'cause it was starfleet and didn't wanna kill their own.

I don't think voy would win. I think after all, the borg weren't trying to destroy them, just cripple them. But voy was fighting for its life when the B weren't breaking a sweat. If they wanted to lay the full mechanical arm up voyagers tubes, I think they could have blown them like DYNOMITEEEE.

Defiant can take more of a smack down, like a armored midget. Plus they have quantum torps.

Sooo... are we discussing GAME DEFIANT vs VOYAGER !?

I didn't think so, but because in one of the other threads about ship vs. ship comparisons somebody mentioned a fight between the two ships in that thread in a game and people seemed interested, I thought it might be interesting to mention a likewise comparison here.

Further since we seem to getting serious about this ;) , I'll mention that the Voyager, once it had been modified with Borg and other delta quadrant technology during it's 7 year mission, it really wasn't an Intrepid class vessel anymore. It was way more advanced than anything the federation had/has at that point and then I'm not even talking about what happened during the final mission.

In all honesty, if you were to place the Voyager that I remember in a straight face-2-face battle against the Defiant that I remember and both captains are willing to fight to the death, Voyager will win definately!

I'm talking about the ships from the end of both series now (excluding the final Voyager episode, because if you count that, Defiant has allready lost in advance)!

If you compare the Defiant from say the 3rd season to Voyager from the 3rd season, Defiant definately has an edge, but later in the series Voyager become more and more powerfull, while Defiant gets weaker and weaker....

So, still Voyager for me because: prettier, more comfortable, better behaved in control, more powerfull!

This is of course a totally pointless debate btw. since Starfleet vessels have the uncanny nature to be as powerfull or defenceless as the writers want them to be for that specific episode....

Why are we leaving out the Quad-cobalt torpedoes... which are 250 times more powerful than the Torps VOYAGER has and Anti-Proton beam cannon ?

Both of them are good enough to take out VOYAGER.

Even from season 7 Voyager before Endgame... it wasn't THAT enormously advanced.

I know 'cause I just re-watched the entire series in the last 2 months.

n about BORGS trying to cripple the ship...

no

The BORG tactical cube DID want to destroy it and so did the queen but somehow they just weren't capable... 'cause VOYAGER's sooo cool.

Heck and Intrepid class isn't even as strong as a Exelsior or Galaxy class... which gets their butt handed to them by the Jem'Hadar fighter and Klingon bird of preys and the Vochas or Vorchas... whtever.

Heck... the Ablative armour that Defiant has is capable of taking 2 point blank full powered disruptor hits from a Vorcha or Vocha... WITHOUT shields. I seriously doubt Voyager... even right before 'ENDGAME' could dish out that much pounding or take it.

On the other hand Defiant has taken on more than 4 Jem'Hadar ships in direct confrontation and kicked butt.

Why are we leaving out the Quad-cobalt torpedoes... which are 250 times more powerful than the Torps VOYAGER has and Anti-Proton beam cannon ?

Can you pont me to the episodes where they are mentioned as being a standard part of the Defiant, because it doesn't ring a bel for me... (I'm not saying that they don't exist btw, I honoustly can't remember)

The BORG tactical cube DID want to destroy it and so did the queen but somehow they just weren't capable... 'cause VOYAGER's sooo cool.

Heck and Intrepid class isn't even as strong as a Exelsior or Galaxy class... which gets their butt handed to them by the Jem'Hadar fighter and Klingon bird of preys and the Vochas or Vorchas... whtever.

On the other hand Defiant has taken on more than 4 Jem'Hadar ships in direct confrontation and kicked butt.

Let me just quote myself on this:

Starfleet vessels have the uncanny nature to be as powerfull or defenceless as the writers want them to be for that specific episode....

I find it strange that you cannot imagine Voyager escaping the Borg, but you find it perfectly normal that the Defiant can take on 4 Jem'Hadar, while a Galaxy get's "it butt kicked" by those same vessels...

You have to agree that both scenarios are equally unlikely and that if Picard were there with the Enterprise-D (=Galaxy), it would most definately NOT get it's butt kucked by some Jem'Hadar.

Which leads me to another very strange/peculiar thing about the Dominion wars... In season 1 it is said that Enterprise is the primary patrol vessel for DS9's sector. It is possible that it was re-assigned, but that is was not present on any of the occasions where they fought the Dominion in large scale battles (where they had to scrape together as many decent ships as they could find), where even the Chancellor of the Klingon want's to get a piece of the pie, is very unlikely to me.

So again: in the Star Trek universe anything will happen that is at all possible and that the writers feel like it needs to happen... ;)

Oh I agree with you wholeheartedly about each of the points you mentioned.

I just like arguing that's all and was trying to present points of both the ships.

'Cause this battle really cannot be decided without some ground rules.

like if you say VOYAGER n DEFIANT from Season 7

Defiant's got the Anti-proton beam and the Qua-cobalt Torps.

Defiant wins

If you say Voyager from Season 1-3 and Defiant from 3...

Voyager wins.

If you say later seasons after Defiant's got Ablative armour and Quantum torps and Voyager's got the borg upgrades...

Then we have a total mess.

'Cause that's when consistency went out the window and in one battle you have a ship being uber cool and in another one some low life thugs can steal your computer core... or 1 Jem'Hadar ship can go through the shield and armour in no time.

My point is... its not a fair fight when you don't have a stable timeline or tech.

I personally don't think either of the ship will win so I didn't even VOTE.

The Defiant Class can beat the Intrepid Class...

'Cause the Defiant has superior firepower, armour and maneuvaralbility.

THE DEFIANT n THE VOYAGER... Voy wins 'cause technically THE DEFIANT is destroyed

If you say DEFIANT at Prime... The VOYAGER at prime... now which prime !? 'endgame' Prime or b4 that !?

See what I mean !?... Endgame voyager is like god ship... heck I think it cud've taken on the entire Dominion Fleet by itself.

Then the Defiant at its prime rarely uses quantum or even the quad-cobalt torpedeos.

I mean why save time and lives by ending the battle prematurely when you can do cool moves while firing pulse phasrs.

Now if we did Enterprise D with Enterprise E... tht wud've been nicer.

Well... we can't count that... 'cause they WERE after all BORGS... so Defiant will probably not get that much leaverage.

But can Voyager's Ablative armour take Quad-cobalt torps !?

I mean the Borg plasma torps that Voyager took are 60 times more powerful than an average Type IX Photon torp.

Yeah, Like I said end game voyager is a power house. The Defiant would be PWN!!!!! It is just the way things are. But that is only going if we picked both ships at their most powerful. I am sure if the defiant find voyager in "Year of hell" Voyager would be gone but we could say the same for the defiant.

I really think that this is an apple and orange thing i would have to say that the ships are not even in the same class. This is no real way to make it even.

Then the most fair battle would be DEFIANT at prime.

Meaning... the one with all the goodies like Quad-Cobalt Toprs... Flux Torps... Anti-Proton cannon and the Ablative Armour.

And

Voyager at prime meaning right before 'Endgame'

with the capabilities like the multi-spectral shields... enhanced hull armour. more powerful photon torps. Improved sensors and targeting systems.

If that's the battle then I'd say Defiant.

The Quad-Cobalt and the Anti-proton cannon would make short work of Voyager...

Though the Pulse-phaser cannons ain't gonna be much use against the improved shielding.

The best way to compare them is befor they where modified, just there 'off the shelf components.' in that case i would say defiant because the defiant was the most advanced ship in starfleet altho voyager was also, that was 2-3 years befor the defiant.

Actually VOYAGER was never the most advanced ship... it just had the bio-neural pack that made it process stuff better n faster.

I wonder how come the other ships didn't have that ability !?

Lastly... Defiant was a full on warship... while the Intrepid was a quick strike vessel. As in you want to pound a tactically inferior vessel very quickly... Intrepid's the ship. You want to wage a war... Defiant's the ship.

Don't believe me... check the 1st Ep or Voyager and the 1st time they introduce Defiant.

I would have to say that Voyager would we for 2 reasons:

1) I would have to say the the with the armor and Stuff from the "end game"

2) LUCK. Of any of the ships Voyager is the luckiest of them all.

No luck. Janeway is da bomb! Best captain EVER! It's not just the ship...it's the commanding captain as well.

c4 B)