a dull life

bbbb

Yes and no, to punishing someone's misfortune with more misfortune.

Yes, as in even though they USUALLY don't intend it, people that go to university, and get fancy degrees in whatever, have a(n unintentional) way of lording it over people of the mindset of "I did my time in school, leave me alone." Like me, and the majority of my family.

I can't stress this enough, that the people I'm talking about, have the same attitude, no matter how unintentional as it is, of a high school jock, talking down to a high school nerd. They act as if their better, either intentionally (witch has certianlly not been the case with anyone here, mind you) or unintentionally, via talking about things like their future house, car, wife / husband, etc, after they embark on their upper-class career, their motives are greed, and are definatelly not cool.

No, as in I've been a career cook for 9 years, and we ALL start out in the dish pit. A++ in Home economics? Dish pit. Red Seal (chef degree)? Dish pit. You were crowned iron chef canadian? dish pit. It's just the way that the local industry works here. Too many resturaunts, just enough cooks, not enough dishers, becuase it's a job nobody wants. And if you have a degree in quantum mechanics, with a BA in string theroy, and you apply for a job at The Outback, Planet Hollywood, The Keg, or any other place in my town, you arn't getting any special conciteration unless you have previous experience, or unless you're a family member of the owners.

Back when I was 15 I started as a disher, and thats the speach I got from the line supervisor. Now I give that speach out to jaw dropped guys older then I am no less then three times a year that think that a degree in linux administration (as cool as I personally think that is) will get him a cushy job in the back of the house.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Degree in art what? You gonna paint a goddamn fresco on the ceiling of a greyhound bus station? HAHAH.

Literature degree what? Volunteer your time to read to snot nosed brats in the projects? aiya..

Computer degree who? There never were ANY computer jobs. It was a lie. Make 70k a yr? Bull. Not when they can bring over a guy from India and pay him half for 2 yrs then kick his butt out. Not to mention anyone can get that training and a "paper" cert in 4 weeks.

Take my advice. The way these things are run is on MARKETING. The people who sold you those lies are in that dept. The only way to make money is to have your own business. And a good way to start is a degree in marketing. If you're a smooth talker and have charm / personality, then your're halfway there. Just don't trust car salesmen.

Ever worked at McDonald's? Only the owners make enough money there.

I knew the owners daughter for 6 yrs of school. I can tell you her father never worked there. And HE owned 6 franchises at one time in this city. That's why he is the owner, because he had enough money to open a store and get his foot in the door. My cousin got a business admin degree and became manager of one of his chains for $50k a yr. Before that, she had been working at different chains for 6+ yrs before deciding she needed that degree. MCD even has their own degree program.

I just had to say thanks to wahaha for making me laugh, funny avatar.

On Topic: I'm a salesman and get paid by performance. The store will bring in so much, it's up to me to make more by being helpful and selling more stuff. Wait till tomarrow, Hot Friday. I don't think I could work a servce job again, I didn't feel right about myself.

I have a Computer Science degree. I live in the US. I lost my computer job because Bill Clinton cut all of the Government contracts the company I worked for had in September of 2000. Have spent the last 5 years doing the following:

Selling Pianos for Commision.

Oh, yes. I used to sell encylopaedias door-to-door. Oy, what a disaster that was. I was on commission, didn't sell any, and had to pay travel expenses. While I was on the road doing that, I lived almost exclusively on coffee, soup, and those little, four-packs of free crackers that came with it. :rolleyes:

Working as Asst. Manager for Domino's Pizza for $8.00/hr.

Living the high life, huh? :rolleyes:

Currently cleaning a medical facility for $9.00/hr.

Wow. Allowing for the exchange rate to Canadian dollars, we're in the same wage bracket.

I have no benefits and no vacation time.

Same here. I don't work six days, but like you, I don't get forty hours either. In fact, I work on a casual, on call basis.

The next time my parents say, 'oh, why don't you go into computers?' I guess I'll just show them this.

Yes, as in even though they USUALLY don't intend it, people that go to university, and get fancy degrees in whatever, have a(n unintentional) way of lording it over people . . . .

I can't stress this enough, that the people I'm talking about, have the same attitude, no matter how unintentional as it is, of a high school jock, talking down to a high school nerd. They act as if their better, either intentionally (witch has certianlly not been the case with anyone here, mind you) or unintentionally, via talking about things like their future house, car, wife / husband, etc, after they embark on their upper-class career, their motives are greed, and are definatelly not cool.

This is true, but those with half a brain, and I guess I'm one of them, learn very quickly to value and respect their more experienced, un-degreed colleagues and supervisors.

Back when I was 15 I started as a disher, and thats the speach I got from the line supervisor. Now I give that speach out to jaw dropped guys older then I am no less then three times a year that think that a degree in linux administration (as cool as I personally think that is) will get him a cushy job in the back of the house.

You sound like a smart guy; so, I bet you can improve on that speech. Nobody had to 'beat me over the head' like that, and that approach doesn't always work. It can also create a lot of anger, class conflict, and bitterness, which tends to lower productivity and increase staff turnover. Besides, now that you have a small amount of power, do you really want to perpetuate this tradition?

I'm Happy i live in Sweden, where the taxes are among the highest in the world...

High taxes = Guaranteed decent life for everyone. :o

Hmm. Perhaps I should move.

Is Sweedish difficult to learn?

Terribly, but it is a germanic language, so it should be easier than french, spanish etc :P

How depressed everyone here are. I'm studying to become an engineer. So in 4 years I guess it's my turn to be depressed, with a ~$30k dept and no job :)

I don't know how it is in other countries, but at least here it seems there are too MANY people going to higher education, around 50% of the population has or is studying at uni/collage.

To be honest, I think this hurts people like me the most. I am the typical studyhorse (swedish expression sorry). It's the only thing I'm good at, with a 19.6 out of 20 avarage in school and all. And it seems no matter what I will study there will be no jobs, because there are so many who are already in that field with a degree, of whom 50 years ago almost none would have engaged in higher studies.

Just an unforseen backslash of the education society.

Personally, my idea of beating unemployment is to start a company. Either that or the couch

too MANY people going to higher education' date=' around 50% of the population has or is studying at uni/collage.[/quote']

You forgot about China, where 80-90% are in school hehe. Do some research and you'll see what the popular course of study is. BUSINESS. In China, you don't HAVE a life without a degree or business plan.

Personally' date=' my idea of beating unemployment is to start a company.[/quote']

Now you're using your head. As I stated in my post. I have a business and it's the only way to make good money once you get connected and know what people will buy. It doesn't take a degree, but it helps.

I'm Happy i live in Sweden, where the taxes are among the highest in the world...

High taxes = Guaranteed decent life for everyone. :o

Hmm. Perhaps I should move.

Is Sweedish difficult to learn?

Terribly, but it is a germanic language, so it should be easier than french, spanish etc :P

Hmm. Perhaps I should try it then.:D

I am the typical studyhorse (swedish expression sorry).

Don't knock it. I like it. :D

It's the only thing I'm good at, with a 19.6 out of 20 avarage in school and all. And it seems no matter what I will study there will be no jobs, because there are so many who are already in that field with a degree, of whom 50 years ago almost none would have engaged in higher studies.

Perhaps you should consider teaching?;)

Either that or the couch

The 'couch?'

too MANY people going to higher education' date=' around 50% of the population has or is studying at uni/collage.[/quote']

You forgot about China, where 80-90% are in school hehe. Do some research and you'll see what the popular course of study is. BUSINESS. In China, you don't HAVE a life without a degree or business plan.

Personally' date=' my idea of beating unemployment is to start a company.[/quote']

Now you're using your head. As I stated in my post. I have a business and it's the only way to make good money once you get connected and know what people will buy. It doesn't take a degree, but it helps.

At unicef they say about 67% reach 7th grade in China, and they have about 85% literacy

Ya, I saw one of those unicef trucks when I was over there. It was driving into an upscale hotel lol. I don't know where they get those numbers from, since I was in a pretty remote place.

The college and university I went to were crammed full. And over the summer they built a 2000 room girls dorm for a school that could barely handle the 1000 they already had! After they graduate, most become English teachers or go on for their masters because a BA isn't very impressive anymore. My Chinese lang teacher did that. She went back to Xi'an.

In the city I was in there were at least 200+ high and middle schools for a population of around 1 mil. I'm not sure of the dropout rate, but all I can say is all those schools were packed to busting, and the students study long into the night after the power is shut off.

At Xi'an jiaotong university, where former pres of China Jiang Zemin was an alumni, there were over 25,000 students when I went there. And just down the road was the foreign lang university with another 20,000+. Most of them with dreams of coming over here to compete heh.

The ones who didn't make it are the ones who setup their own street vendor business for a few 100 to pay for their kids to goto school, or they are making your tennis shoes.

http://www.peopleteams.org/baoji/ and click demographics.

How depressed everyone here are. I'm studying to become an engineer. So in 4 years I guess it's my turn to be depressed, with a ~$30k dept and no job :)

I don't know how it is in other countries, but at least here it seems there are too MANY people going to higher education, around 50% of the population has or is studying at uni/collage.

To be honest, I think this hurts people like me the most. I am the typical studyhorse (swedish expression sorry). It's the only thing I'm good at, with a 19.6 out of 20 avarage in school and all. And it seems no matter what I will study there will be no jobs, because there are so many who are already in that field with a degree, of whom 50 years ago almost none would have engaged in higher studies.

Just an unforseen backslash of the education society.

Personally, my idea of beating unemployment is to start a company. Either that or the couch

I agree that education doesn't guarantee good jobs, but an education is better than nothing.

I belive that the decisions we sometimes make are greatly influence by others (media, friends, PARENTS). I have tried to be PC and had a job that paid fairly well, bought an apartment, fine car and lots of fancy stuff. A few years later i realized that i didn't like my job at all, but I still continued for a couple of more years, until I got fed up and QUIT. Everybody I know had an opinion about my "foolish" decision, but atleast I did something I wanted...

Today (6y later) I have nearly completed my studies at the U and I'm loking forward to start a new career, somewhere in Sweden. By the way I have a fil.mag in pharmacology and the jobmarket is looking fantastic. (fil.mag ~5y studies at the U).

Life is a constant struggle and you won't get anywhere if you don't start moving. :)

I agree that education doesn't guarantee good jobs' date=' but an education is better than nothing.[/quote']

I still like this old joke, though:

Question: What's 3 degrees below zero?

Answer: BA, MA and Ph.D.

Life is a constant struggle . . .

For some of us, it's more like a war. :rolleyes:

Ppl that complain about how much their lifes sux usually just sits on their axxes and belives that the good life is going to be served on a silver plate some day soon if they wait long enough. ;)

Now serving no 9856245. Step through that door and you'll have a good life :)

Ppl that complain about how much their lifes sux usually just sits on their axxes and belives that the good life is going to be served on a silver plate some day soon if they wait long enough. ;)

:thinking:

If people wait long enough, they'll be dead.

The good life? Careful, you'll start a debate about what that actually means. That's how they got Socrates. ;)

If people wait long enough, they'll be dead.

The good life? Careful, you'll start a debate about what that actually means. That's how they got Socrates. ;)

My point is that most of us do what we have to do to "survive". The difference is what motivates us to go to work and earn a few bucks. Maybe the stack of bills that needs to be paid by the end of the month, a complaining wife, kids needing new toys or just an empty fridge.

When the bills are paid some ppl just aren't motivated anymore and hangs around or do what ever makes em happy until they get motivated once more (new bills). Then they complain about their lousy situation and still continues with their lifes as if nothing ever could change that.

A definition of intelligence is that we learn from our mistakes.

And I don't belive that it's "impossible" to go back a couple of months or years to reflect on ones own situation and not doing anything about it (repeating the same old mistakes, over and over).

The problem is that many of us tend to think that the future is the answer to everything and the past is something that already has passed and pay no or little attention to learn anything from our past mistakes. Or have they forgotten everything already?

I'm not satisfied with everything in my life and there is room for improvement. I wonder if I'll ever be completly satisfied with my "dull" life?

Just so you know, my last post wasn't a complaint about my life but rather a complaint about how Government affects people. Despite all the junk that I've been through in the last 5 years, I'm satisfied with my life. I do not consider it to be dull. I serve my God, and I consider that to be a satisfying way to live no matter what the financial situation may be.

What I find most interesting though is that a lot of people look for the Government to fix their lives rather than trying to do it themselves. From my own personal experience I can say that the Government, no matter how high the taxes, has no interest in helping anyone who is not on the government payroll. At least that is the case here, the Democrats and the Republicans (and the Green Party, Independnts, et all) are only out for themselves. The Democrats claim that the Republicans only help the rich when they themselves are rich. The Congress vote themselves pay raises when their constituients can't make ends meet. Politicians make promises to get elected that they only keep if they'll benefit themselves. The government is not your friend. It's not Bush that is keeping you down, it's your reliance on a group of people willing to spend millions of dollars to get a job that pays tens of thousands. Help your self don't rely on Government.

My point is that most of us do what we have to do to "survive".

I warned you. ;)

So, why do we bother surviving? I mean, what's the point of it all?

When the bills are paid some ppl just aren't motivated anymore and hangs around or do what ever makes em happy until they get motivated once more (new bills). Then they complain about their lousy situation and still continues with their lifes as if nothing ever could change that.

Ah, yes. Hell's bills.

I'm motivated by an overwhelming desire to write, which, no matter how I am doing, just won't leave me alone. Heck, who needs food, as when this urge peeks, I forget to eat anyway.

A definition of intelligence is that we learn from our mistakes.

Ah, yes, intelligence. It's a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. :cyclops:

The problem is that many of us tend to think that the future is the answer to everything and the past is something that already has passed and pay no or little attention to learn anything from our past mistakes. Or have they forgotten everything already?

The future? Yes, it's amazing how people put such stock in something that doesn't exist yet, and may never exist if the asteroid hits today.

Me, I have learned to just dread each day as it comes. :cyclops:

So, why do we bother surviving? I mean, what's the point of it all?

I don't know, but are there any (good) alternatives? ;)

I'm motivated by an overwhelming desire to write, which, no matter how I am doing, just won't leave me alone. Heck, who needs food, as when this urge peeks, I forget to eat anyway.

Hungerstrike? ;)

Ah, yes, intelligence. It's a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. :cyclops:

"fool me twice...", Bush blopper. ;)

The future? Yes, it's amazing how people put such stock in something that doesn't exist yet, and may never exist if the asteroid hits today.

An asteroid. Why not a Xindi probe. ;)

Me, I have learned to just dread each day as it comes. :cyclops:

I've learned by trail and tribbelation. ;)

Atleast Bush is doing everything he can to stop 747 flying into the White House, especially when he happens to be there. :D