What is your prefered media format for Doctor Who?

Pella

I thought about this when I realised how much Doctor Who we have these days. My self I prefer the Big Finish audios. With only a couple of exceptions the quality of writing and performances have been uniformly excellent and I can take them everywhere I go (thanx to my mp3 player).

What about everyone else?

I try not to compare formats... they all have their strengths and weaknesses, and are often different in fundamental ways, so I can't really compare them. It's like comparing sculpture to oil paint... you can't do it (or at least -I- can't do it... apples and oranges, imho.)

Is media format the right question. More what .... implementation, hmm not sure what question LOL

Currently I say the BF audios, because its all new stuff, some excellent writing has gone into these, and I can listen to one or two episodes whilst I'm relaxing at night.

It would have been nice to gone for the classic as I'm collecting these in HiQ rips (350M avi) - a few gaps in S3-5, but I really need to spend some time and watch them. So at present going for BF, until I do actually have the time spend.

It's a tough one. I love the classic series. I did enjoy the TV movie, despite Eric Roberts as the worse Master (saved by Paul McGanns performance as the Doctor and the wonderful TARDIS set). I love the new series, and I enjoy reading all the books, virgin, PDA N9th Doctor (8th Doctor is now classified as a PDA and as of next year, 9 Doctor is classifed as PDA as well as the next three Hardback novels are 10th Doctor). And BF has done a fantastic job. I guess it depends on my mood. I love watching the series, but Audio can do so many things that TV can't. Books are great, but bad writing can be saved by terrific voice acting. I love to listen to the BF audios when I'm walking, pack marching, on a bus and when I go to bed. I like to read a book in the morning with my coffe. And, well I'm watching the classic series on TV with dinner (as I'm recording with the dvd recorder), as ABC (Australia) is currently screening double episodes, Monday to Friday.

I can't narrow it down. They each have strenghts and they each have faults.

• 1 month later...
I like the 25 min episode format' date=' as it allows time to build up complex and intelligent stories, allthough in this day and age when the attention span of viewers is down it would of course never work anymroe.[/quote']

That's one of the reasons the BF Audios are my favourite.

@USWhofan,

Thats pretty damn impressive you have every story on VHS! I bet that must of cost ya alot..especially for the deleted titles and stuff. I had to pay £30 for one deleted title. I'm not sure what that is in $ though.

I like the 25 min episode format' date=' as it allows time to build up complex and intelligent stories, allthough in this day and age when the attention span of viewers is down it would of course never work anymroe.[/quote']

That's one of the reasons the BF Audios are my favourite.

Ditto. For me Audio is actually the best format for "new who" too. Oh and its allways good to have new mccoy ;)

@USWhofan,

Thats pretty damn impressive you have every story on VHS! I bet that must of cost ya alot..especially for the deleted titles and stuff. I had to pay £30 for one deleted title. I'm not sure what that is in $ though.

It did cost a lot overall, but it's taken me 15-20 years to get them all. And I got real lucky, only had a few that went out of print that I had to pay double and triple for, and that was just recently trying to finish the collection.

(£30 = $45-$60, the exchange rate is usually 1 1/2 or 2 times, it's steep.)

AND, it was all worth it!!! :D

I'll have my collection complete (probably at the ne do of next month on DVD. Thanks ABC for commiting toscreening all availble episodes. (They did skip a couple but I was able to either purchase a dvd or video of them or download them).

I like the audi in the sens of the loger drawn out stories. I elove the new series but listnening to arcs is something I greatly enjoy. Especiall the McGann Charlie and Divergent stories. Each enjoyable on their own but the experience is better when you listnet to them all in order. Now,s ince they got back theym seem to be stand alone.