Ever been ashamed of being a Trekkie?

Nightmare

Im sure everyone has a one point or another. It is something that is immediately seen as related to being a "geek" or "nerd" even though many of us are not.

Anyway, for me there was this one time a few years ago where I saw an ad in a paper for this Star Trek gathering thing - it was not a convention but rather hotel lounge that was booked to show imported future episodes of DS9 and VGR (I live in the UK and so we get all out episodes much later than the US)

I was sick of seeing old episodes so I went down to check it out. I got there and paid entry and sat down.

After that it was pretty traumatic - I saw several Grade A stereotypical "nerds" walk in fully dressed in Starfleet uniforms - complete with phasers!

Remember this was not a convention but a dark lounge were we would sit for about 8 hours watching back to back episodes.

I remember thinking to myself "What the **** am I doing here?"

I sat quietly on my own for the rest of the day.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I admit that I'm a nerd. Not just because I like Star Trek, but because I like Sci-Fi, I play roleplaying games and my best friend is my computer. I've always been this way, and I ceased being ashamed about it a long time ago.

Me being a nerd doesn't stop me from thinking stuff like dressing up in starfleet uniforms on a viewing of new episodes is totally lame. When I watch Star Trek, I get immersed in that world, and I love it. But when the episode is over, I go back to the real world. Dressing up as characters from the show and going out in public goes beyond "just having some innocent fun". I think that kind of behaviour indicates a problem with maintaining a proper distance to the fantasy world you are being exposed to.

Really the problem is with society - someone is intelligent or likes sci-fi or is good with computers, perhaps to the cost of their social skills... that makes them a subject of derision? Seems to me like if you started whaling on people for having choosen a religion, you wouldn't get too far.

Double standard?

Of course - the best part is that while people are often happy to go on about geeks and such. The second a computer doesn't work exactly the way it should, out will go the call "is there a geek in the house" and in my experience, these people will have 1. inflicted the problem on themself 2. never learn how to fix it 3. expect you to be there everytime they screw up.

Hey dont get me wrong. Im into computers, sci-fi and many other "nerd" cliches.

I just feel its odd to see a 30 year old play dress up to watch a few episodes. I doubt people feel the need to dress like a mob boss when watching The Sopranos or Superman when watching Smallville.

Btw the episodes were great. It was the entire DS9 - 9 part finale Dominion war arc.

I was never ashamed... specially 'cause I was never a Trekkie. I was always influenced by my Dad.

He was more into Star Wars... and Superman n Sherlock holmes and ofcourse Isaac Asimov and Jules Verne. So I got into comics and sci fi books. But I didn't like ST until I saw Kirk's movies.

I never liked TNG whn they 1st started. Still don't... only handful of episodes.

Also another reason could be cultural issues.

In our country we dont have that GEEK NERD or COOL kids seperate or anything like that n liking Sci Fi is a little different in my country.

So no. Even now that I'm in Australia I dont have any problem with it 'cause I never grew up as the typical GEEK / NERD [wht's the difference between the 2]. Though among friends we occasionally have geek talks for fun.

I'm no sure of the difference between geek or nerd, my Interpretation has always been:

NERD; into sci-fi, roleplaying, statistics, continuity.

GEEK; into all of the above plus likes to know everything about gadgets(techie).

I've never been too ashamed by liking star trek, before TNG, when I was a young man, we used to host 'landing parties' and a lot of non-scifi folk would turn up in some wierd home-made fancy dress alien/starfleet outfits. Happy days

dude!

Exterus & Tenebrae, jus that i think.... :)

yeh i rem when i started uni.. i told my friends.. "yeah i liked startrek but i don't own/wear the uniform!!", so never ashamed....

not dogging those people who do i jus see the as the next level of a fan I jus not there yet.... come to think of it i'm thinking of buying a long brown coat!! ;)

T's totally right society is too mean i rem i used to make friends with the people that were always left out!! always included them in games...

its ashame you can only become important buy stepping on others peoples head.... what ever happened to being judged on what/who you are??? i guess thats the way its always been... :(..

i hate it when ppl class other ppl, to the point i get into a bloody rage... and feel like beating the poop outa them... thank god its never come to that... just imagine the washing up!!! :)

just rem there is no spoon!!!! nerd & geeks aren't in my dictionary... so there :p !

Ive never felt ashamed........its other people who have the problem not you. No one should ever be ashamed of being a trekkie. If someone picks on you because you like Star Trek they probably have some sort of issue of their own which they need to resolve. If your so called friends are the ones dropping the comments then perhaps you should consider they arent really your friends at all because they should accept you for who you really are.

In the UK many people bully moshers because of the way they look. But if you've ever spent the time getting to know a mosher you`ll quickly realise they very nice people who dont condone voilence like all the arse wipes who go round robbing old ladies and smashing phone boxes up. Moshers are like trekkies........and lets be honest it takes some intelligence to understand Star Trek..........some people are just drongos who will never understand.......but its not their fault...........they were born that way. :-)

The man who said Trek is like a constant was a genius. A geeks life can be falling apart but he will always have the secuirty in knowing Star Trek will be there.

Liking Star trek and dressing up in uniforms isnt going to bring the world to an end or cause the polar bear to become extinct is it? If anyone is critical of my interests in public I ask them......."havent you got anything better to do?"

P.S. Thats a quote from Star Trek .......lmao

Ever been ashamed of being a Trekkie?

Yes. Many years ago I was teased by my older siblings. FYI, I refer to myself as a "trekker" (due to the teasing). It sounds more grown-up.

c4 B)

ive never been ashamed of being a trekkie. why? coz 75% of people in my country dont even know what ST is. only way to see ST is to DL it. only way to buy ST merchandise is to go abroad. oh im from Slovenia, bet that 75% of ppl on this forum dont know where that is:>

hey bro - Im from slovenia too :) I was just about saying that I dont feel being ashamed watching st and so true about dl-ing; the only way ot see trek.

I dont really feel that Im a trekkie (slovenia sindrom?;)) - Im a sci-fi enthusiast and st is one of many things related to sci-fi, although one of the best.

Once, when my two “friends†started arguing, about .. not star trek, but Star-Wars and theoretical physics. Not that -I’m- an expert, but, it’s safe to say I knew more then they did on the topic. Why was it embarrassing? .. well, sitting in a crowed cafeteria, filled with people looking for a reason to hate ya anyway (No, I wasn’t really popular in school : ) .. and having two (yes, very stereotypical “nerds†) plastered to either side of you arguing over the top of your head, and practically foaming at the mouth, really doesn’t too much for your “street credâ€ÂÂ.

Anyway, needless to say, they’re both wrong, I count events that happen in books as “fan fiction†unless some how officaily credited by the maker of the universe they’re placed in. In other words, if I wrote a Star-fox book, nintendo’d have to give it a gold stamp before it would become anything I’d ever want to base an argument on : )

Granted, it could have been about anything, still .. the words “star wars†and “jock†rarely, ever, go well together.

I've always been sort of proud of my trekieness. Then I saw the Trekkies film. It was a freak show. "Dear god", I thought. But most star trek fans are perfectly normal, and can be found inhabiting every corner of society. Hidden. Waiting. For their day of reckoning will soon come... Mwahahahehehohohohuihuihuihwahwahwaaaaaaaa..........!

:thinking:

The term Trekkie is sometimes considered derogatory, perhaps because of a perceived parallel to the term groupie. Some Star Trek enthusiasts prefer the term Trekker, while some others hold the latter term to be stupid or pretentious, and, for that reason, self-identify as Trekkies. Some Trekkies even say that a Trekker is a Trekkie who is embarrassed for being Trekkie. On the other hand, Trekker is sometimes used as a term for the kind of Star Trek fan who is obsessed with the fine details.

"Trekker" may actually have its origins in the early days. When the media picked up on the word "Trekkies," some fans thought the term sounded too much like "Crazies." Self-identification as "Trekkie" became even less popular in the late 80's after a famous national TV parody (see Parodies below); several self-described "Trekkers" were quoted saying they "had a life" (contrasting themselves from "Trekkies.")

I choose the title "Trek Fan".

BTW' date=' I know where Slovenia is ;)[/quote']

that is quite logical, you are european and from really cool country ;)

I think in europe trekkie/trekkers are not stigmatized with "nerdness".

here is an idea - all american trekkies should come here for hollidays and they can freely wear "Im a trekkie and Im proud" Tshirts :p

na i am not ashamed. I am a Nerd/Geek. I have all i want in my life right now. Its just sad that ppl who make fun of ppl like us dont realize that they will be working FOR us some day :).

I am proud of my Trekki-ness....if thats a word..., i think that its a great show. And there are a lot of ppl at my school who like it, I am even late to class somethimes b/c i stay behind talking Trek to my Japanese teacher. Trek is part of my life and i would feel weird not having it in it.

So if ppl want to tell me what to like and call me a nerd, then i will just punch them in the head and call them a "pa tag" and continue walking. And some times i find my self wondering "what would captian Picard do?" (WWCPD) lol.

No, never have been, damn nobody even cares that I watch star trek. Allthough a lot of people find it weird that i watch charmed and buffy..... (I mean damn what's healthier watching some stupid spaceship or a lot of cute girls kicking butt and doing weird things with liquids) :)

I know at least a few of my friends who have watched it sometimes but aren't as hardcore as me and I know a few of friends that well wouldn't even watch star trek if that was the last entertainment on earth. But well nobody ever gave me a reason to be ashamed of being a trekkie.

And I know were slovenia is. (but then again I'm also from the netherlands)