Top Posters In This Topic

Look mates, just cuz u like star trek, u ent a geek

just cuz u like computers, u ent a geek

just cuz u like sci-fi, u ent a geek

Geeks dont exist, u can do what u want with ur life, with hu u want

Its ur right

I hate it when people us geek or nerd as an expression ITS NOT TRUE

just be yourself

I'm no doubt a geek. It's hard being a salesman when you have to control yourself to not bore the pants off a customer. When they say "How does this computer work?" all they really want to know is how to turn it on and what the speed is like, they definately don't want to know HOW it works and anything more than that blows the sale and frightens people.

Liking Star Trek actually gives me a certain amount of credibility though, because everyone i work with knows I'm into all this computer foolishness.

I'm seeing a pattern here... if you like something enough that you know it in enormous detail (whether it's sci-fi, star trek, or computers), you get labelled a geek.

... does that mean that people that go on and on about technical details and moves in sports are also geeks? ;)

Edit: I actually think 'geekdom' is a myth... most people are 'geeks' about -something-...

I can't say I've never been ashamed in relation to Trek.

I've never been ashamed because I enjoy Trek. I've been ashamed at others for their closed minded opinions.

If you've ever had people burst out laughing when you bring up the fact you like Star Trek then you understand what I mean. It's not so much being ashamed you're a fan but just at how other people are not tolerant of what you like.

When it's ok to stand around the water cooler at work and discuss the latest episode of American Survivor Idol Teen Hogan Amazing Island Race season 19, but not ok to discuss the last episodes of Enterprise then you know there's some intolerances going on.

It's almost like a racial issue. Most times it's not nearly as severe as racial hate or persecution but there are times where people just, I don't know, "take it too far". The constant laughing cause you like Trek, like we're back in grade school on the play ground. The stupid little jokes thrown here and there. And ya know, I could almost understand it if you know the average Trek fan was the more involved fan whom dressed up in uniform or makeup. But the average fan is just that, an average fan. We come home from work and school, we turn on tv or pop in a dvd/vhs tape and just enjoy some tv.

Nah, I've never been ashamed for loving Trek. I have been ashamed to be human before.

i think i have' date=' because i am 16, i dont like telling all my friends because they think that i am sad[/quote']

Na dude, its ok. If they give you crap then i guess you know where thier colors lie. And you dont have to go out in the middel of the street and light some candels and say a bajorn prayer. You can watch ST and not have it invole you intire life, But dont worry, around this web site you can get as 'trekky' as you want and we will only follow. So if you are uncomfortable around your friends, then just dont talk to them about it.

And i think you will find a lot off ppl here your age too, Like TFMF and I are also 16 and dozen others so its all cool here, lol.

"live long and Prosper" :p

I'm a young woman. I'm new to the world of Star Trek....less than 1 year.

Though I am a geek or nerd in many aspects...I have one advantage....

A siren song. ;)

No...I have never been ashamed.

heh

Another woman, :) wow soon men will be a minority here... :)

But welcome to this forum, and have fun expressing your geekiness all you want...

Quosego

Personally, I wouldn't consider myself a Trekkie/Trekker or anything like that but then, I'm not really a fan of labels - especially those with negative connotations. I think it's rather patronising and presumptuous to instantly assume anyone that expresses interest in the franchise.

Well my parents were big sci-fi fans and I was brought up with Dr Who, Blakes 7 and Star Trek. So I guess I'm a trekker and sci-fi fan born and bred. It's never seemed to me to be something to be ashamed of.

In fact most people have come to their poor opinion of star trek & science fiction in ignorance I reckon. And most of the time, when I explain what sci-fi is really about and people get to questioning their preconceptions, then they tend to be less judgemental.

Take my girlfriend for example. She used to have a bit of a laugh at my star trek enthusiasms. But then she came over to my place just as I was starting to watch the Enterprise episode "Carbon Creek". And now, while she'll never be a full on fan, she does like to join me for a good trek session now and then.

• 4 weeks later...

I have never been shamed of loving Trek or Doctor Who.. or Sherlock Holmes or (the list goes on). I admit that I'm not the sort to dress up to go to a convention, but thats not what it's about for me. That said I've had friends who poo poo all science fiction as stupid, meanwhile because of a love of history, go on and on and the Film American Treasure. Hey, the film was fun and all, I had popcorn and stuff happened and i laughed a bit... but HISTORY? hello? So I'm getting him to watch battlestar gallactica by saying that its kind of like Das Boot in space. (hey.. its a stretch, but a decent one!)

Lets see how he takes the bait.

No infact, I was once a bit taken back when I told a girl at my work that I was choc-full of star trek books and movies.... the suddenly unexpected "YOU'RE A TREKKIE??!???!?!?!" and "OMFG I LOVE YOU" freaked me out a bit... I never expected to be emraced with such forcefullness....

Like lots of other people, I grew up watching Sci-Fi. I enjoyed it because it caused you to think about things that you wouldn`t normally consider. It opens your mind to possibility. It also showed you that maybe in the future we would have got past prejudices.

As for those who made fun, I could only assume that their minds were so closed that they(like many others) had to attack that which they didn`t understand.

I wouldn`t label myself with anything like geek or Trekkie even though I enjoy all ST, DrWho, BSG, B7, Saphire&Steel, SG1, SGA, etc. etc. Also I love technology and gadgets they fascinate me because again it makes me think.

Whereas my older brother was a bit more of a fanatic, he even had ST TNG shipped over to the UK so that he could watch before anyone else. I also think he owns a uniform somewhere.

As for these idiots you meet that immediately laugh, I can only say that with time you build up a kind of sixth sense and know who you can talk to about it.

Take a friend of mine, he used to poke fun because I really enjoyed Stargate the film and then the series. Then one day he watched an episode on SkyTV, and if I happened to go round whilst it was on, I would be told to Shhh! and have to sit quietly until it finished. As far as I know he is now an avid fan.

So if you come across jerks that laugh, just remind youself that you probably have more brain cells than all of them put together. ;)

I would, however consider myself a Trekker as I enjoy walking in the country! ha ha :p

No never been ashamed of being a trek fan don't see any reason why i should be. Whats not to love about it well the only thing i find boring is the older graphics. Like i remember one TOS episode where enterprise was being chased by a glowing cube lol.

Shure people have laughed at me when i tell them i watch trek but when they see im not amused they quit very fast.

And any type of entertainment that people truly love some of the fans try and emulate. Like football fans painting and dressing weird, Wrestling fans, Anime and Startrek and more...

I had a friend called nigga dave ( yes he was black and he chose this name himself and made everyone call him this so dont get offended) that loved Dragonball z. He loved it so much he actually thought he can power up lmfao. One night we were all drunk and he stumbled out into the street at about midnight. And proceeded to try and power himself up. If you have seen a episode of dbz you know where this is going...

Anyways he started screaming as loud as he could over and over again. It was so damn funny i almost pissed my pants cause he wasn't joking he was really trying it lol.

It was a little funny during my time in the army. I was always a techno geek, ever since I was a kid. Building computers, fixing everyone else's... Then when I decided to enlist and my recruiter tried to set me up as an apache repairman, I decided to do something totally out of the ordinary, I chose to sign an airborne ranger contract, somewhat in defiance of my techie past.

During the last roadmarch back from our last FTX I had major sharp pains in my right foot. When I got back to the barracks I went to the aid station and they told me it was nothing and gave me motrin. I waited for a while as my airborne school slot approached. I went back to the medic because the pain was still there. He sent me for an X-ray and found out that my foot was broken. I had a large stress fracture in it. When it came time for airborne I dropped it because I didn't feel like jumping out of planes onto a broken foot. So, I was sent to a straight leg unit. C Co 5/20 Infantry (Later turned into the Stryker Brigade, from light to medium infantry).

In that environment where everyone is listening to let the bodies hit the floor, getting wasted and tazering eachother for fun it's a bit difficult to sit down and enjoy a good night of watching some star trek. Well, during one training exercise where we were reacting to contact, I was on the team that pinned the enemy while the other team flanked. Once the whistle was blown and the marker thrown up in the air, we were supposed ot shift, lift and cease fire so the other team could assault. I didn't hear or see the markers so I kept firing. In fact, all I DID hear was that my squadmates were not firing as much so I put my weapon on burst and fired as quickly as I could.

After a few magazines of that my squad leader came over and had ot snap me out of it. Just from that I earned a small reputation. Some called me "waterboy" because I supposedly went crazy and wouldn't stop firing. Some just said I fought like a cornered animal. In either case, since then I made it a habit of attaching my extra ammo pouches on my LBV and carrying extra ammo with my so I could pour more fire onto my targets. Nobody is going to mess with the "cornered animal" while he's watching star trek in his room :p