Star Trek or Star Wars

GhostShadow

Although i REALLY like Kotor - there probably arn't many other Star Wars games that appeal to me really - but there are loads of great ST games like Bridge Commander which you can play over and over or Armada or whatever.

And the ST Books are better - i'm really enjoying the one i'm reading right now and i don't think SW books sound that great

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of what is "popular", look around!!!! Star Wars has a MUCH larger pop culture presence, and for the most part people have no compunction in declaring themselves to be Star Wars fans.

It's been mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread, but the fact is there is a certain nerdiness that has become associated with Star Trek.

BUT having said that, I reckon that the truth is less obvious. You see, we have the phenomenon of the closeted trekkie.

Your closeted trekkie will never put their hand up and proudly declare an affinity for star trek, but I suspect they exist in greater numbers than you might think. ;)

"Being truely cool is not caring about how cool you look to others"

hmmmmm, not in every case - if you think that cool is not to wash yourself more than once a year; well, lets just say that in this case: being truely cool is caring about how cool you smell to others.

just being a little playful here - rhetoric is a funny thing :D

well its nice to hear that not many ppl are ashamed of being a trekkie, i know that i am not. Any one that knows me knows that i am a Trekkie, i woulndt have it any other way.

And in my opinion ST seems to attract ppl who tend to be a bit more nice than SW. b/c the majority of SW fans that I know are like wanna be nerds.... if thats possible, the ppl at my school act like they know every thing about Sci-fi but when it comes to ST they refuse to acknolage its existance.

But i would admit that SW has more popularity with a younger age and a group of ppl who like sci-fi. But ST seems to get a more rounded group of ppl from all ages and of types of ppl, like ppl who dont really like Sci-fi but like ST, and ppl who love all sci-fi, and to punk skaters ( there are a few i know of that like ST ).

And if you walk into a Convention, a lot more ppl are dressed up as ST than SW. every sci-fi place i have gone to pays more respect to ST than SW or SG or BSG.

So i guess its all about age groups an ppl

well' date=' i see them as both very popular Scince Fiction series. I am just trying to find out how many of you like ST or SW better.[/quote']

if you wanted to see that why not make this a poll so we can have some sort of quantitative analysis on how badly Star Trek kicks Star Wars' ass. by the way i pic Star Trek for too many reasons to quantify.

PS is "ass" considered obscene language on this forum?

well' date=' i see them as both very popular Scince Fiction series. I am just trying to find out how many of you like ST or SW better.[/quote']

if you wanted to see that why not make this a poll so we can have some sort of quantitative analysis on how badly Star Trek kicks Star Wars' ass. by the way i pic Star Trek for too many reasons to quantify.

PS is "ass" considered obscene language on this forum?

I am totaly anti-poll. lol I dont like them, b/c ppl change their minds durring a discussion but then cant chage what they voted... and sadly not a lot of ppl read the discussion b 4 they vote.

And i dont think that 'ass' is a bad word, just dont call some one it, or dont use it like 'jack ass'. and the word filter will get all the bad words. its just common politness

haha, looks like I got a bit of a rise out of a couple of people from trying to be unbiast about sci fi. No harm intended, I was just thinking out loud about how I have personally experienced the two biggest names in sci fi entertainment.

I think that both franchises are equaly good, in different genres / different ways. I'm always gonna say "Right on" when I'm flipping through the channels on TV and stumble upon an old rerun of TOS / VOY / DS9, etc etc, and watch the entire episode (and hopefully have a friend near by to talk about the episode with). That also applies to Stargate, Lost in Space, The Time Tunnel, Doctor Who, and any other show that your likely to run into on a lazy sunday afternoon, channel surfing.

Where as at the same time, when ever I want to do some sci-fi gaming, I'm installing KotOR / Sith Lords for some role playing (if there is a Trek equivelent to this game, please let me know), or if I feel like some sci fi first person shooting, I'm going for Battlefront 1 or 2 over Elite Force 1 or 2 nine times out of ten. Elite force was a great game, just dosent have the multiplayer experience / the challenge to it that I want in a game.

For books, I TRIED to get into a trek book, "imazadi" (I think it was called) and it was all about Troi and Riker's romantic past. Dullest thing I've read since high school. Since then I've read about 30 or so Star Wars novels, and have never been dissapointed (besides the one book when Chewbacca got killed by a moon coliding into a planet). Well, theres the odd author that drones on and on about really dull stuff, but that's usually the exception to the series.

When it comes to the Trek/Wars issue, I guess you could say I'm "bi". ;)

I like them both. As a child I was obsessed with Star Wars, but as a young adult I developed a deep appreciation for the world of Trek. I've seen all the movies of both, all the different Trek series, read books of both. They are so different, it's hard for me to compare them. But if I had to pick one, I'd probably pick old-school, original Star Wars, just because it makes me feel like a kid whenever I see it.

Star Wars used to be the KING of all sci-fi so... If you forget a bad string of prequels... it's considered in the top ten greatest stories ever told... also... Star Wars has no culture reference so it's loved across the world...

Star Trek will always come across to me as being an american show... and it's not really a united earth... it's an american ruled one, lol, although they show it in a fair few countries sure it doesn't reach everyone and of course... Star Trek is the Nerdy thing... but i love it...

Sadly to say i still love good old 1977-1982, Star Wars over Trek any day

Star Wars had the better computer games. Star Trek is more positive about space travel than Star Wars but Star Wars has been more consistent over the decades than Star Trek. All in all Trek has more exploitable potential than Star Wars, which was a classic movie trilogy. Trek can be done forever almost but Star Wars was really a one time thing. For these reasons I think both are dead even because they both have their pros and cons.

Star Trek is on the same level as Star Wars. There is room for both in our world.

Personally id pick Star Wars over Star Trek anyday. Why, because its something i can get into easily and not have to worry about crap in real life/whats going on in the world. ST usually has something/an issue that deals with what's going on in the here/now (well more so past). Star Wars Books, and Video games completly blow ST games out of the water. Epsically the older ones, but moreso the newer ones ie. Battlefront 2, KOTOR 2 etc. Just read the Thrawn trilogy and the Hand Of Thrawn, and those 5 books alone just make it a much more interesting read.

I am a big Trek fan because I find the show more fulfulling being a TV show. You get to see the characters you love grow weekly. Thats one aspect that Star Wars cannot compete being a movie. Besides the technology in star trek is wayyy cooler :P

Say any1 of you played Star Trek: A Final Unity?

Really it's a like comparing both Apples and Oranges, as many have already said. I guess it depends on the person and their tastes. Me I've always preffered SW's Scope and Journey that that series tells. The other thing that I've always liked about Star Wars in contrast to Star Trek is that with Sta Wars the Universe has a more lived in feel, whereas with Star Trek everything is prestine and new and makes one feel a little detacted from that world. The exection that rule would be the Klingon bridges, which I 've always liked. Though I do love Trek when I need those Time Paradox fixes, and I love the Borg and DS9.

As for games I give SW the title. My personal fav. is the X-Wing and Tie fighter series. There's nothing like sitting in a one man ship taking down a Star Destroyer. A lot the ST flight sims were derived from that that series. Then KOTOR is a great RPG with no ST game of the like. With FPS the best comparison IS the Jedi Knight series and Elite Force. Again you have to give SW the edge because they are basicly the same except JK adds force powers and a lightsaber. You have to love the feeling of zapping a friend with lightining or force gripping him off the ground and bashing into a wall.

Book/Comics wise I have little experience with Trek other than Shattner's books when he resurrected Kirk after Generations and few odd books. With SW though one thing I have always appreciated is how LucasFilm has a mandate that all books,games,comics etc. all must fit witin a continuity so once something is written it conforms with a larger story that is Star Wars. While there are a few fluff books especialy the older books there some really good stories out there. Like someone mentioned I recomend the Thrawn Trilogy, as well the X-Wing and NJO series. As comics Read the Tales of the Jedi Series. One the best out there, in fact a lot of KOTOR is based on that series.

Again it really depends on taste. Just for me personally Sta Wars has been the escape I've enjoyed more.

Trek for me!!! Although I remember back in '77 (I was 6) going to see Star Wars at the cinema and thinking it was the most fantastic thing I'd ever seen :)

I think the thing with Trek for me was watching it at home every week, you didn't have to wait 3 years (or more) for the next installment, just 7 days. It was much easier to get lost in the Trek universe, the characters weren't larger than life on a big screen but in your living room like part of the family. I found it easier to find out about the Trek universe too. At the time there were a lot of books available, like the Star Trek Encyclopedia & Chronology which made accessing Trek history so easy. I'm sure there were/are Star wars books like that too but I was never able to find any easily.

I've been a proud Trekkie for about 15 years now and have never felt embarrassed by saying I was such and why should I? There are worse things than being a Trek or Sci-Fi fan :)

It's been said before and it warrants saying again, until everyone accepts it.

You cannot compare 6 films to 3 solid weeks of TV. Nor should you try.

Both universes have a wealth of games, comics, cartoons and books but fundamentally the canon elements are different orders of magnitude.

The universes are pretty much utterly different too.

ST you have hundreds of different factions crawling around the galaxy...

SW you have essentially two factions having fisty cuffs all over the place.

ST tries to be all grown up and intellectual.

SW is unapologetic about its appeal to children (according to Lucas at least).

It goes on and on.

My final thoughts:

Sometimes people like different sci-fi franchises but that doesn't mean to say we can't all get along, just fine. Take care, I'm Jerry Springer.

Oh dear......hasnt this been covered time and time again? No one ever agrees.

If you ask me both are just as cr*p as each other. I believe someone out there will eventually write something that stretches the mind far beyond a few wooden actors in space ships that save the universe once in a while. Its time to usher an era of new sc-fi.......the space ship thing has been done to death. If all Lucas and Rodenberrys following can think up is new space ship and creature design they should pack up and retire and let new creative radical minds take over.........its all getting a bit samey for me.

I've seen all Star Wars movies and all Star Trek movies and series. I like both.

As a kid I loved Star Wars more (toys and all), but today I don't find SW that appealing anymore, maybe cause it's getting somewhat old and a little to childish (no need to think just watch).

I like ST more today than I used to and I think it's because it takes a more mature mind to really understand everything about the plots and stories in ST. And there's also a lot more to watch and re-watching old series like TOS/TNG gives a different perspective today than it did the 1st time I saw them in the '80s/'90s.