Warp Drive Possible!!

VonHelton

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, We could find a way to develop an Einsteinient Rosenbridge, that WOULD allow FTL communications and/or travel. Hell, the general theory of relativity even allows for this in the equations.

As far as anti gravity, I do believe there is already a general working model. I remember hearing about it a couple of years ago, about scientists who had made a superconducting plate that somehow created an anti gravity field, neutralizing the effects of gravity in a small field above it. I'll have to see if I can find something on this.

EDIT: Found an article on Boeng using anti gravity Boeng working on Antigravity

Pure anti-grav is as far as I know impossible, since there is no 'negative mass', all things that have mass attract each other. Of course, if you create a large enough magnetic field to lift an object in the air and call that anti-grav... Though imo it has little to do with gravity and more with electromagnetism if you do that...

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

We have proof there is matter, we have proof there is a counterpart, called antimatter. We know that by synchronizing inverse sound waves with the normal counterparts, we get antisound, which is the basis of modern noise cancellation. We ALSO know that by doing the same thing to light that it can be cancelled out.

Now, physicists are looking at the premise that gravity also is a wave, higher than x-rays. Because of this, it is entirely possible to create an inverse gravity wave, nullifying gravity.

So the idea there could never be an opposite to gravity is just crazy.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

We have proof there is matter, we have proof there is a counterpart, called antimatter. We know that by synchronizing inverse sound waves with the normal counterparts, we get antisound, which is the basis of modern noise cancellation. We ALSO know that by doing the same thing to light that it can be cancelled out.

Now, physicists are looking at the premise that gravity also is a wave, higher than x-rays. Because of this, it is entirely possible to create an inverse gravity wave, nullifying gravity.

So the idea there could never be an opposite to gravity is just crazy.

LOL talk about a 'meta'- physical explanation... :D

Now, I'm not saying that we will never be able to have 'a negative gravity' (who can predict the future, eh...), but as things are now (even in theory as far as I'm aware of it), there exists no such thing.

btw. You do know that antimatter has absolutely NOTHING to do with opposite gravity or mass. A particle and an antiparticle have exactly the same mass and spin, they only have opposite electrical charge, for example an electron is negative and a positron is positive...

As for gravity being waves, are you referring to the wave-particle duality? Because that is something else really. Furthermore I can tell you that the existence of Gravitons has never been succesfully proven. And what's more, according to general and special relativity it would be impossible for gravity to be waves, since that would violate the now accepted fact that no information can travel faster than light.

If you were referring to 'gravity radiation', then I can tell you that even the gravity radiation of the entire Solar system is to small to measure and is not applicable in the way you used it, gravity could create waves, but this does not imply that gravity IS waves (and thus as far as I know, it isn't considered to be that). To explain further: take the wave from the sound and the sound is gone, take away the wave from a gravitational wave and the gravity is still there, only the fluctuation of it is gone.

Actually' date=' We could find a way to develop an Einsteinient Rosenbridge, that WOULD allow FTL communications and/or travel. Hell, the general theory of relativity even allows for this in the equations.[/quote']

The Einstein-Rosen-bridge (better known among scientist as Schwarzschild wormholes), has been disproven over 40 years ago (as far as information exchange is concerned): the tunnel is so unstable that it will close up again before even a single photon can be transmitted! And what's more, should you be able to gain access, you can never leave again... So pretty much useless...

That last theory was superceded however by the now fabled wormhole (2 kinds basically: Lorentzian wormholes and Euclidean wormholes), but at this moment, a wormhole is nothing more than a theoretical mathematical solution to general relativity and in fact, it still does not violate the Einsteinian causality, since it 'cheats' by distance. And what's more, wormholes open up the possibility for timetravel and it is therefore generally accepted by most physicists that there exists something fundamental in the laws of physics would prohibit wormholes ('real' wormholes).

I must add though that this last paragraph I wrote is purely theoretical based and involves some speculation from the scientific communities. As such nothing is certain about for example wormholes, they may exist and they may not, in any case, they don't allow faster than light information exchange.

Another thing that is largely misunderstood in 'popular' science (and has little 'real value' for 'faster than light') is quantum entanglement: this phenomenon only lets two observers in different locations see the same event simultaneously, without any way of controlling what either sees. So you see, no information can be send and even though the two seperated particles shift at exactly the same time, nomatter the distance, special relativity is not violated in any way.

Finally: as far as general relativity is concerned, I can assure you that it states exactly the same thing as special relativity where information and the speed of light are concerned: no information can travel faster than the speed of light!

But who knows, maybe some genius will come along next week and prove the whole thing wrong, but as long as that hasn't happened, I'd say the best thing to do is go along with the general accepted theory. :)

People say things are impossible till they are done.

Lasers were a thing of fiction. Nowadays, we have them all over the place.

Flying was fiction for hundreds of years. Nowadays, we just need a ticket.

Watching a movie downloaded from the internet was fiction. Now we do it all the time.

We''d never make it to the moon. Wrong. Made it years ago, and looking at returning even now.

So if you say it CAN be done, you will find those willing to work on making it possible.

Now you're simple engaging in a somewhat childish naivity - these are not technical challenges that people dismissed because of their own limited imagination.

Rather, these are problems that are caused by our current understanding of the laws of physics.

Now - it is certain that our understanding of physics is FAR from complete and that our comprehension will change but I think it's fair to say that for the foreseeable future, advantage TetsuoShima.

Ah, and I bet YOU have the knowledge on how it all works, and if that is not it, I bet you know people who do, right.

All words and no science... :D

I'm not pretending that I do know how to pull it off. If I did, I do believe I'd have a frakking lab and be making tons of cash.

However, I am illustrating a point here.

For many years, it was proven that man could NOT fly. But, the Wright brothers went ahead and did it, ushering in a new era of travel.

For a long time, it was thought that the fastest one could go in an atmosphere was the speed of sound. Past this, the air would destroy a plane.

But, we shot past the speed of sound.

A reuseable spacecraft? Made by one single company, paid for by the private company? Was thought to be too expensive, and too limited. But, we're in the process of building a spaceport in New Mexico for what? Private aircraft.

Realize that someone things things up, and eventually it stimulates the mind of some person with the know how to actually BUILD the thing.

Look at the fiction vs reality:

Transporters- a scientist inspired by Star Trek developed a method of teleporting a single atom. While not transporting a living person, it is a stepping stone.

Communicator- Telephone companies developed a personal communicator, originally the size of a brick. Within a decade, these communicators were shrunk to the size of the communicators seen on Star Trek. Today, many people own these things, called cell phones.

Now, these 2 examples are just part of what I am talking about. People say "It can't be done. It's impossible." These are the ones who are truely blinded, as the ones woho look forward and say, "It is possible" look into the directions that naysayers refuse to look down, and find the way to create the impossible.

Yes, I get your point, but there is a difference between 'people say' and 'the scientific community says'. In your examples there was no basic fundamental thing that was stopping those things from happening. In case of the speed of light there is.

I will say that, this is a theoretical theory (relativity), but time and again it was proven correct (by experiments). So chances for it being incorrect are very slim. But as I said in one of my first responses (I think), I cannot predict the future, so maybe some genius will come along that proves that it can be done, but as things are looking now, it wouldn't appear that that is going to happen any time soon. imo it is more likely that the theory will be superceded by an even more advanced theory first and depending on how it was constructed, we'll just have to wait and see what exactly it predicts and whether or not it holds up under investigation.

So, basically I'm not saying that it will never be possible, but I am saying that it is not possible now, nor in the near future. And that it is highly unlikely that it will ever be possible given the 'knowledge/evidence' we have now.

But this is starting to be more of a philosophical discussion now.... :)

There is only ONE problem with FTL drives: they require A LOT of energy.

another thing: FTL travel in our dimension should be possible. I recall an article in a magazine I read once, where scientists got a microwave pulse to move faster than the speed of light, nearly 5 times that speed if I remember correctly. I know, that there is a long way from getting microwaves to travel FTL, to getting a starship to travel FTL.

"Heim drive"

let's get back to the energy problem: as mentioned in the beginning of the thread, a magnetic field was requred to boost the starhip into another two dimensional space. Unless superconductors that work at temperatures that work at temperatures higher than ~100 Kelvin are invented, no dilithium core or dark matter is going to cut it for more than just a few seconds. The superconductors are needed to create a stable and economical drive, mainly because a superconductor has no resistance at all.

The magnetic needs to be molded into a ring or torus made of a high-temerature superconductor, where the current would loop endlessly, and never stop (unless when you want the ship to go sub-light speed). The magnetic ring would only require an amount of energy that will charge it to the amount needed to break the dimensional barrier and go into the two dimensional "pocket" needed. Then, in theory, you could travel FTL for an infinite amount of time.

again, this STILL requires a lot of energy, but not as much as the solution, which does not make use of superconductors.

If the magnetic "warp" ring is not a superconductor, the energy source will not only need to charge up the ring to enter the 2D "pocket", but also maintain the current inside the "warp" ring.

entering 2D dimension enabling FTL travel using magnetic forces evaluation: 3 out og 5.

This scores 3 points because of the intense work that has been put into it, also, that tis FTL theory is the most plausible IMO. There is just the problem on what to use as "fuel".

Artificial wormholes:

This has been seen too, in the X and X2 games, as well as event horizon. This either uses a wormhole generator ring or a generator that projects a wormhole from a space ship. This though needs a theoretically infinite amount of energy, not only to fold spacetime, but also to poke a hole through it, that you can travel through.

This method of travel, however, is very dangerous. just a minor instability inside the wormhole could crush the vessel or send it into another time or dimension.

This could be plausible, as long as the wormhole is stable, using it in the form of a stargate as in the series of the same name, where lifeforms are totally exposed to the wormhole itself, could in theory be deadly.

In the stargate series (and movie) the people using the stargate get dissolved into atoms, and then reassembled on the other side. There is no guarantee that the people using the gate are reassembed correctly.

Wormhole travel evaluation: 0.5 out of 5

Not very plausible, I myself would not like to travel this way, before I know that the wormhole is 110% stable.

Alot of people don't even wanna accept this could be real but the reason for such thinking is the physics thats in place today. Not the electrical science that Maxwell and Faraday were using. Einstein believed in the space time grid and not in the "ether" or subspace as trek would call it. Tesla believed in the "ether" but not the space time matrix. Einstein did believe in a unified field theory which could combine electricity, magnetism, and gravity into a single equation. If you wanna be technical a "warp" drive was conceived and tested by an inventor named Thomas Townsend Brown I think in the 50's. Some believed Browns device flew by product of ion wind but supposedly when placed in a vacuum it still worked. though very smaller and simpler his device has been called a warp drive by some. You hear alot here lately about the russian scientist podkletnov who spinned super conductor disc and reduced gravity by a few percent in a beam that extended directly above his device. And then there is the supposedly super secret lockheed craft the "TR-3B" Which rotates hot mercury plasma in a torroid creating a magnetic field so strong that it cancels about 95 pecent of the earth's gravity. Which actually works very similiar tot he Natzi Bell device of WWII.

I have read tons of anti-gravity books and literature but I find one thing interesting and that is almost all gravitational device theories involve spinning something. Doesn't seem to matter if your spinning electrons , magnets ,gyroscopes, etc. If gravity is just relative to mass then you would think there would be no way of cheating it. But maybe through rotation and different rpm speeds you could create a disturbance in the ether much bigger than that of a stationary mass or magnetic field.

another thing: FTL travel in our dimension should be possible. I recall an article in a magazine I read once, where scientists got a microwave pulse to move faster than the speed of light, nearly 5 times that speed if I remember correctly. I know, that there is a long way from getting microwaves to travel FTL, to getting a starship to travel FTL.

"Heim drive"

let's get back to the energy problem: as mentioned in the beginning of the thread, a magnetic field was requred to boost the starhip into another two dimensional space. Unless superconductors that work at temperatures that work at temperatures higher than ~100 Kelvin are invented, no dilithium core or dark matter is going to cut it for more than just a few seconds. The superconductors are needed to create a stable and economical drive, mainly because a superconductor has no resistance at all.

The magnetic needs to be molded into a ring or torus made of a high-temerature superconductor, where the current would loop endlessly, and never stop (unless when you want the ship to go sub-light speed). The magnetic ring would only require an amount of energy that will charge it to the amount needed to break the dimensional barrier and go into the two dimensional "pocket" needed. Then, in theory, you could travel FTL for an infinite amount of time.

again, this STILL requires a lot of energy, but not as much as the solution, which does not make use of superconductors.

If the magnetic "warp" ring is not a superconductor, the energy source will not only need to charge up the ring to enter the 2D "pocket", but also maintain the current inside the "warp" ring.

entering 2D dimension enabling FTL travel using magnetic forces evaluation: 3 out og 5.

This scores 3 points because of the intense work that has been put into it, also, that tis FTL theory is the most plausible IMO. There is just the problem on what to use as "fuel".

Artificial wormholes:

This has been seen too, in the X and X2 games, as well as event horizon. This either uses a wormhole generator ring or a generator that projects a wormhole from a space ship. This though needs a theoretically infinite amount of energy, not only to fold spacetime, but also to poke a hole through it, that you can travel through.

This method of travel, however, is very dangerous. just a minor instability inside the wormhole could crush the vessel or send it into another time or dimension.

This could be plausible, as long as the wormhole is stable, using it in the form of a stargate as in the series of the same name, where lifeforms are totally exposed to the wormhole itself, could in theory be deadly.

In the stargate series (and movie) the people using the stargate get dissolved into atoms, and then reassembled on the other side. There is no guarantee that the people using the gate are reassembed correctly.

Not very plausible, I myself would not like to travel this way, before I know that the wormhole is 110% stable.

Very interesting article. Maybe when the ship went to a higher 2d space for FTL travel it would also eliminate the risk of crashing into stray asteroids and such, I guess you would pass right through them. And prolly would serve as a cloaking device as well while you were in warp. Well maybe at least to the naked eye.

"Heim drive"

Artificial wormholes:

Very interesting article. Maybe when the ship went to a higher 2d space for FTL travel it would also eliminate the risk of crashing into stray asteroids and such, I guess you would pass right through them. And prolly would serve as a cloaking device as well while you were in warp. Well maybe at least to the naked eye.

theoretically it would be that way, and yes, the space ship would probably not be visible in normal 3D space.

As far as the need for enough energy to power the coil, what about zero point energy? I was reading about it in another post, looks like these two should come together somehow, but im not sure, the way you guys sound in here makes me feel retarded. However i thought i would share my idea, for what its worth.

I do hope myself that i might see progress of this in schools or on tv one day, so as to keep the ball rolling, verry good stuff in here. :)

• 3 weeks later...
As far as the need for enough energy to power the coil, what about zero point energy? I was reading about it in another post, looks like these two should come together somehow, but im not sure, the way you guys sound in here makes me feel retarded. However i thought i would share my idea, for what its worth.

I do hope myself that i might see progress of this in schools or on tv one day, so as to keep the ball rolling, verry good stuff in here. :)

Something as strong as zero point energy could easily power the coil, but still if the coil is not a superconductor, even zero point energy can't cut it for extremely long travel. As I wrote, in a superconducting (circular) coil, the drive would only need to be charged up once, and could in theory go on forever. If the coil os not a superconductor, the drive would need power all the time.

and also... isn't zero point energy something like a small black hole? If so, it would be very unsafe because of the amount of gravity it generates, and what if the ship explodes in battle? Of course the gravity well would crush at least some of the enemy ships, but what about the friendly ones?

still, there's fusion energy, the power of the sun. I would believe this would be used in our very first interstellar spaceships, or matter/antimatter energy where the energy comes from atoms and antiatoms that collide. This method is also described in many sci-fi series. If my memory serves me correctly, matter and antimatter is used in the impulse drives on the spaceships in Star Trek.

Um, no.......

The Enterprise is not moving, per sey......It just sits there, wrapped in a bubble of graviphotons.

The Warp Engines attract graviphotons, and the deflector dish wraps them around the ship. Once a sufficient amount of graviphotons are around the ship in a "warp bubble", the universe reacts to the graviphotons by propelling ship & bubble en masse to the point of destination at faster than light speed.

.....There is no stress whatsoever on the ship.

B)

Everybody who thinks that FTL isn't going to happen for generations is sadly mistaken. The rate of technological advancements is exponential. In other words, there are going to be twice as many technological advancements in the next 100 years as their were in the last 100. Think how far we've come in the last 15 years alone.

From the 386/486 to laptops, and 3Ghz regular PC's.

Cellphones

Hydrogen car (BMW is releasing its commercial 7 series that runs on hydrogen in 2007)

Fusion Reactor being built in France

High Speed/Wireless Internet

The list goes on and on and on....

The problem with space travel right now is it's taking a backseat. If NASA was recieving in today's terms how much they got during the apollo missions during the cold war, we would probably be on mars already.