Americans are NOT saving

theaveng

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ain't that the truth. That .2% is mainly from a certain group of people, those with more than they can spend wothout trying.

It is sad, our excuse sucks, my girlfriend feels better spending money, it's a freakin hobby for her. I have to hidemoney in an extra account at a different bank just to keep money for a rainy day, and then I get accused of being sneaky and stingy because I had $500 to fix the car.

I wouldn't marry her. You'll just end up getting divorced because she'll complain "you won't let me spend money". [Edit - My niece just divorced her husband for that reason & married a rich guy.]

Look for a different girl who values saving money like you do. Or else, just stay single.

troy

Here's what I would do:

- Separate your fiances. She has her bank account & you have yours.

- Get a credit card in HER name.

- Let her go wild buying clothes, cars, whatever.

- Once her credit card hits the $20,000 limit, and she's scared she can't keep up with the $400 a month payments, say, "NOW do you understand why you have to NOT spend frivilously?"

That's how I learned my lesson. Now I save every dime I can. Some people have to experience near-bankruptcy, before they will understand why saving is important.

troy

There's often not alot to save. Between bills' date=' gas and groceries, theres virtually nothing left after each paycheck. And by "virtually nothing" I mean, a few dollars, not a couple hundred. [/quote']

You sound like my brother. He says the same thing. And then he runs out & buys a $10,000 Harley. Hmmm... "Hey bro...thought you said you had no spare cash?"

Maybe that's not you, but I've noticed a LOT of people, including coworkers, complain they don't have enough money & yet they're wasting hundreds every month buying luxury items.

troy

There's often not alot to save. Between bills' date=' gas and groceries, theres virtually nothing left after each paycheck. And by "virtually nothing" I mean, a few dollars, not a couple hundred. [/quote']

You sound like my brother. He says the same thing. And then he runs out & buys a $10,000 Harley. Hmmm... "Hey bro...thought you said you had no spare cash?"

Maybe that's not you, but I've noticed a LOT of people, including coworkers, complain they don't have enough money & yet they're wasting hundreds every month buying luxury items.

troy

Trust me I learned my spending lessons when I was a kid. I know what it feels like to have that paycheck burning a hole in your pocket. As much as I'd love to go drop a paycheck on a few star trek dvd sets or some comic books I know bills and food come first. But as I said even with paying the bills as they roll in and trying to minimize how many bills do in fact roll in, there often is very little left after each paycheck.

leave 100 buck in the bank frezz ya self & set the time to 1000 years!!!!

btw don't for get to seed....

when you wake up you'll be the 2nd richest man in the world (1st is ya isp)...

thats a variation from red dwarf btw...

um...can you explain that quote in lamens terms, i dont quite understand....

leave 100 buck in the bank frezz ya self & set the time to 1000 years!!!

Unfortunately, the fiscal crisis of 2550 made paper nearly-worthless. At that time, you needed $100,000 to buy a loaf of bread & the value never recovered. So even though your bank account says, "$1 billion", all you can buy with it is a steak dinner.

Sorry. You're not rich.

troy

I'm only young (19) and on the minimum wage, but i still save about £300 a month. Though When I move out of home, i imagine i wont be able to save any, i'll have to get one hell of a pay rise before i can even think of moving out though!!

I'm only young (19) and on the minimum wage' date=' but i still save about £300 a month. Though When I move out of home, i imagine i wont be able to save any, i'll have to get one hell of a pay rise before i can even think of moving out though!![/quote']

Sounds like my life :)

Also 19 on an minimum wage (well maybe 1 euro more)... and well if I had to move out I would be a lot poorer.... Allthough I would get 200 euro more from the governement... But that won't be enough to pay a room and all the other stuff I want (like food and stuff).

Right now I can save some money and spend like 300 euro's a month.... So I'm staying home for the duration of my study....

The minimum wage sucks balls........I worked for that for four years. Its just small company owners taking the pisz out of you........dont allow it..........move on quickly, otherwise you'll finish up in a rut like my good self and have managers telling you that they cannot pay you more because your not making more money for them. Tell the fat cats to go shove it!

I really do feel for you chaps who have girlfriends who spend all your money. Ive been there.....and trust me when they do realise that they cannot go around buying everything they want they go for the rich men. My last girlfriend ran off with a bloke 10 years older than me just because he had the money and flash car. Now to be honest I am glad she did, I could of married her!

After I finished with my ex I started dateing an old school friend.........in school I know she really liked me, so I thought we could be something genuine there.........but sadly her previous boyfriend was a dentist.........she had been spoilt to death and as a result was a totally different person to how I remembered her. I ditched her quickly.

This turn of events has messed my head up badly........I see a women, I see money grabbing and I say no thank you. Havent had me a girl in two years now...............less of the sob stories........and sorry for my life story........but you can learn from my mistakes.

My boss can hardly tell me how much money the company makes, i work in the accounts dept, i know how much is in the bank accounts. anyway, its not only small companies that pay minimum over here, loads do it cos thats all they have to do.

Theres going to be a hell of a lot of poor people living in the UK if something isnt done. Most reputable companies do pay more than the minimum wage..........if your boss refuses to give you a rise ask why and also ask if he/she truly values you as part of the team. Its just slave labour, exploitation. These businesses are run by people who know less than you who just bull their way through life.

dont think i really deserve a raise yet, only been there a few months. and the directors/managers do know a lot more than me, the company i work for is small in the grand scheme of things, but large locally if you get what i mean, so i know all the managers and directors, they're not in some office in london, dont even think they're on much relatively speaking, (no where near what you'd expect a director of a company to be on)

I know your in the accounts department but another annoying factor for me was when they made out they werent making any money then the next week rolled up to the office in a brand new sports car.

Part of the small business MD roll is to convince the workers he isnt making anything.......yet they have the new cars and can afford those holidays in the Italian Alps. Hell........to fill a sports car full of petrol is your working wage for four days! Where is that money coming from I wonder?

I am sure I dont need to tell you that the business owner not only takes his/her wage but also owns all the businesses assets and the profits. Its like having two direct sources of income and a pot of gold.

Forgot to mention that working for such a low wage damages your self respect and confidence.........over a long period of time you actually think the minimum wage is all your good for...........with management making hints at this.

Dont have the wool pulled over your eyes..........just use them like they use you.......gain the experience and then leave.............you shouldnt be stopping there any longer than two years.