DivX DVD Players

NiteShdw

I just bought the JVC XV-NP10SL.

I checked several websites......

Price $99.00 - $230.00

No mention of XviD.......That could be a problem, since alot of 350's are in XviD format.

.....It's only slightly better than the Phillips.......It plays WMA.

$50 - $100 just for the ability to play WMA doesn't seem worth it to me.

:o

......Now if it was feature packed like the Yamada 6600, then I might see the additional cost.

:)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww, man, don't rain on my parade!

Yeah, the JVC is definitely not the best around! I like JVC though, and it was worth it for me to spring < $30 more for the JVC (it was $93.99 at Best Buy). I've had a JVC audio receiver that's lasted me 15 years and 7 or 8 moves and I haven't had one problem.

Good point about the Xvid though. I hope I didn't overlook that - that may be a problem. I could always take it back, but I think I'll just have to convert Xvids to Divx or DVD.

Is it a pain in the ass to convert from Xvid to Divx?

Anyway, I'll let you know if it does play Xvid or not, it's looking like it doesn't.

Peace,

Stoddard

Ahhhh, not to worry. The JVC does play XVids......awesome!

From a review:

"I bought this player at best buy. it plays XVID great

but divx it has a little trouble with the sound. it

seems like it's a bit off but it's worth it"

Located at:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:JVC%20XV-NP10S%20DVD%20Player:1991538164

It looks like it's a winner! I'm a little unsettled hearing it has some problems with DivX, considering that's mainly why I bought it, but I guess I'll find out tonight. If it has problems with Divx, it's going back.

Thank God, I won't be converting from Xvid to Divx though, that sounds worse than making a DVD. Thanks for your input.

Peace,

Stoddard

Here's a preliminary report on the performance:

The JVC will occasionally skip when playing back certain DivX files. I've only got season 2 TNG burnt to DVD, and it would skip probably 2-4 times per episode, skipping 10-30 seconds of the episode each time. So you miss out on about 2 minutes tops. It seems to happen more after you've watched an episode or two. The first episode didn't skip once - I had very high hopes. It did however, play some other DivX files flawlessly. The picture quality and features were excellent. I'm going to try TNG season 3 tonight (It should finally be downloaded). It looks like a slightly different format, so we'll see how it works. I've heard it plays Xvids back very well, however, I don't have any Xvids burnt to try yet.

Overall, this seems like a good player. The occasional skips on certain DivX files is a little annoying, but by no means does it make the episode unwatchable. I'd rather have a few skips than spend 100 - 200 hours encoding and burning DVDs. When you figure all that time, and what I'd be getting paid at work (billable at $80+ an hour), then it's a no-brainer.

I was just wondering if I made the wrong choice. The Philips has excellent reviews as well and is $30 cheaper. Does it ever have problems with DVDs - the occasional skip, etc. I'm thinking about taking back my JVC and going with the Philips if it doesn't have these problems.

Somebody let me know.

Peace,

Stoddard

The JVC will occasionally skip when playing back certain DivX files. I've only got season 2 TNG burnt to DVD, and it would skip probably 2-4 times per episode, skipping 10-30 seconds of the episode each time. So you miss out on about 2 minutes tops.

that is NOT acceptable!!!

I'm trying the A New Hope avi file on a different computer, one that has a DVD player and window media player 9. I tried updating it and it said I have all the updates already so I'll see what happens when I unzip it. I will of course seed it while I'm watching it, if that's possible. What is it with these dvd codecs and stuff anyway? Shouldn't media player be able to play any dvd?

So much for trying to get A New Hope to work. Every time I try to install the xvid codec it tells me I have to be an administrator to do that. I also tried to install a divx player but it did not work. My seeding of the movie isn't working either. This is one screwed up computer.

• 1 month later...

I've been thinking about this, but from what I understand, a modded Xbox can't be played on Xbox Live. Is that correct? Being able to play Halo 2 online is one of the reasons I want to get an Xbox, but I really would love to be able to play AVIs and DVDs on it as well.

You cant play Live with the mod chip enabled so you cant play any games that are not legal on Live.

• 4 weeks later...
works for what?

i'm just wondering how pushing a button can have any effect on the sync. i mean that is pretty hard to believe.

If the AVI file you're playing has messed up colors, you tap the system button on the remote 2 times while the file is playing, and the colors are fixed!!

.....Try it!! It works!

:D

thank you thank you i thought i would have to redownload the episodes to fix it. this just made my day

just got my phillips 642 in today!!!! havent had too much time to play with it yet but am very pleased. it will play dvd- loaded with divx files!!! it also does most of my anime as it is mostly in divx files...havent got to try xvid yet tho...my player had a addendum to it in the directions that it will now play subtitles in .sub...srt and one other file too but i cant remember what it is...it has a better picture than my laptop gives my 27 in tv (its an hp with a ati 5700 32meg vid card)!!!! i am so far thoroughly pleased!!!!

i havent had any problems playing xvid so far. i just had the problem of the colors messing up(now fixed :D) . and 1 file the sound was a second off but otherwise everything plays fine

oh and i dont know if this is the reason or not but have any of you hacked your dvp642 yet to make it region free???

if not this is what to do

turn on power open tray

using your remote key in 7-8-9-OK-0

a 0 will appear on the lower screen on the tv and your done its region free with no macrovision