Where have the torrents gone?

species8472

NiteShadow.com is the name they mentioned in the notice, I tried this as a domain and someone owns it, it's been around since 2000. If you try to go there it's closed up.

What are the chances that there was another torrent site called NiteShadow.com

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) says:

the owner of the website is out of the woods if he immediately removes the link to the protected content

hmm.

the best way to find recently released torrents is Google. why doesn't the MPAA sue them?

You do realize it is technically "stealing"?

No, I do not......Someone bought the content with money, or paid to see the content in a theater.

Nobody "stole" anything!!

Now had someone broken into their warehouse & stole the master copy, they'd have a legit gripe, but that has never happened, to my knowledge.

:stare:

Guest Mrthumps

It could be worse....Nite could have chosen to take the forum offline completely as well.

At least we can still meet and chat/discuss/debate over our favorite Sci-fi and stuff like that.

the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) says:

the owner of the website is out of the woods if he immediately removes the link to the protected content

Not true.

The DMCA, however, does not grant blanket protection from copyright infringement liability. The service provider may not take advantage of the DMCA's safe harbor provision if:

1. The service provider has actual knowledge that the material or an activity using the material on the system or network is infringing;

2. The service provider is aware of facts or circumstances from which infringing activity is apparent; or

3. The service provider does not expeditiously remove or disable access to the material upon obtaining such knowledge or awareness of the infringing material.

#1 will apply majorly with Torrent sites. It would be *very* hard to argue that the service provider had no knowledge that the infringing was going on.

They paid for ONE person to view the product, not 20, or 20,000.

So persons 2, 3, 4, et cetera who have not paid...... they are stealing.

Accessing something that is freely available is not the definition of stealing. To steal, there must be malicious intent, and the reciever of a torrent has no malicious intent whatsoever, in fact, they're usually quite happy.

:)

Billions of people use their VCR's to download content from the TV every day, yet this is not stealing. Why? Because there is no malicious intent on the part of the reciever.

:cyclops:

What part of banned do you not understand....

What's the point of "be polite to other people" rules if you're not going to enforce them???? Even now I see people insulting one another. Why have a rule that's not enforced?

lol you're fast.... I deleted that one.... But still you are kinda banned..... so what are you doing here....

They paid for ONE person to view the product, not 20, or 20,000.

So persons 2, 3, 4, et cetera who have not paid...... they are stealing.

Accessing something that is freely available is not the definition of stealing. To steal, there must be malicious intent, and the reciever of a torrent has no malicious intent whatsoever, in fact, they're usually quite happy.

:)

Billions of people use their VCR's to download content from the TV every day, yet this is not stealing. Why? Because there is no malicious intent on the part of the reciever.

:cyclops:

If only that would hold up in court. One qualifies as fair use, one doesn't. Can you spot the one that doesn't belong.

If only that would hold up in court. One qualifies as fair use' date=' one doesn't. Can you spot the one that doesn't belong.[/quote']

I understand what you're trying to say. However, in order for that to be correct, Radio & TV would have to be outlawed.

Is the M/P/A/A & R/I/A/A gonna do that? I seriously doubt it.

:stare: :stare: :stare:

we have ALL already paid for these shows through basic cable subscriptions.

No because subscriptions only pay for the black cable running to your home & The content is paid by commercials. Sci-Fi Channel sees none of the money from your monthly bill. Stargate/galactica is paid by Corporate Commercials

Most of the stuff here or at least what i d/l and seed is NETWORK shows.#### that airs on t.v. for free to most with a friggin antenna

NO NOT FREE. Commercial-supported by corporations advertising cars and stuff. If you don't watch the commercials: advertisers will stop advertising.

Not saying torrenting is wrong (I DO IT)------ but just pointing out the reality. You stop watching live TV and, advertisers will stop showing commercials, and shows like Smallville will no longer have money == gone./

That doesnt make sense though,say i have no cable just a tv that gets nbc,abc and cbs.

I watch t.v. and hey i like a show they produced so i watch it.Its, i dont know,space hell 3000.I already watched all the commercials and all their crap inbetween so advertisers got their 2.99 because i saw it on t.v when the show ran..2 years go by and bummer the corps who sell tampons are discontinuing because scifi people dont buy maxipads.Neilsens arent great so the show is pulled.Few years go by and i say hey! what was that show?HMMMMM ok yeah space hell 3000 i want to see that again.Sci-fi channel doesnt have it,its not on dvd...where do i go?Of course!google!I then find niteshdw has it and i can d/l it--now how in the HELL are they being cheated by that?

People dont STOP watching t.v. because they can get it on the internet--id say by and far most do it for re-run factor.Its networks own fault that they dont have a NBC2 that runs pilots they cancelled 24/7 or sci fi shows--look at sci fi channel--dont know who owns it but that channel is macking because it fills a niche ignored.Their own fault and trying to punish us for it or lock us away from content they were PAID to bring us?They already got their advertising $ and star trek?holy shit there are rides in vegas now that paramount gets cash from and what about syndication--leasing viewing rights of star trek to sci-fi and spike?Cmon man they want not only 250 zillion dollars they want 252 and 59 cents.

If only that would hold up in court. One qualifies as fair use' date=' one doesn't. Can you spot the one that doesn't belong.[/quote']

I understand what you're trying to say. However, in order for that to be correct, Radio & TV would have to be outlawed.

Is the M/P/A/A & R/I/A/A gonna do that? I seriously doubt it.

:stare: :stare: :stare:

It's copyright infringement no matter how you slice it, which is illegal is the vast majority of the civilized world.

now how in the HELL are they being cheated by that?

They aren't.......Which is the point I'm trying to make. No matter what you download, I can assure you the company has made their money, either through advertizing, customers, or some other way.

The only exception to this would be a brand new movie in a theater, but I don't like those torrents anyway, since they tend to be incomplete, noisy, or grainy. I have always said, both publically & privately, that new movies should wait awhile before torrents are made of them.

:stare:

It's sad to see nite disappear. It's a GREAT site. But ya know, since I was banned, I figure it doesn't matter to me at all. I was banned from participating, so to me NiteShdw.com did not exist.

So, the $64,000 question is: WTF are you doing back here???

RE: Don't watch TV; I haven't watched any TV in over three years. TV, like the RIAA and MPAA can go hang. I'll stick to books and the occasinal DVD. :)

In any case, good luck to Nite; I do enjoy the site and (most) of the company here.