Secret of Happiness?

magestorm

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the secret of happiness is to be without desire.

our desires make us unhappy and invariably cause us to want things we are unable to have. they cause us to want to feel unhappy and achieve goals which may be unattainable or bad for us.

removing desire removes lots of complicated emotions which are mostly surplus to requirement.

dreams can be useful tho as long as they are managed sensibly.

i think that happiness occurs when we are doing other things and isnt a feeling but a state of mind

any questions???:D

But' date=' without desires, we wouldn't have the drives we need to pursue things that can be obtained. And even if a goal cannot be obtained, isn't the pusuit of that goal just as noble as achieveing that goal?[/quote']

true, but unmanaged and unrealistic desires make you unhappy because the are unachievable or bad for you....hence unhappiness

Happiness comes in short bursts now and again' date=' and the only trick is to endure the boring/tiresome/painful intervals between.[/quote']

I belive this is called euphoria.

Edit:

happiness:

1. Characterized by good luck; fortunate.

2. Enjoying, showing, or marked by pleasure, satisfaction, or joy.

3. Being especially well-adapted; felicitous: a happy turn of phrase.

4. Cheerful; willing: happy to help.

no mentioning of short bursts there.. it can last longer imo. my favorite is "Being especially well-adapted" ;)

Guest c4evap

The secret of happiness is (for me anyway):

Owning the complete Star Trek Voyager collection on DVD for under $250.00 US!

Ya mon! Cool runnings...

c4 :D

i will describe my theory with an example.

for those of us unhappy that the torrents are gone and were halfway through a download and unable to complete......

desiring the torrents back when it is not possible will make the desirer unhappy Due To, their lack of, or inability to accept the situation in an emotional context. those who accept the situation may be unhappy for a while and have fond memories but will ultimately be closer to happiness as they do not torture themselves with their own inability to be emotionally versatile.

being without desire does notmean being without direction, goal or focus in life. one can remain rational and still enjoy their emotions without great desire or simply choose desires which are achieveable

a simple or uncomplicated life is a happy one