Battlestar Galactica 2x19

Mav

2x19 "Lay Down Your Burdens"

The accidental discovery of a habitable planet sparks debate in the fleet. Colonize? Or keep seeking Earth?

I'll save my opinions until I see it. Though I'll predict/say they should keep going for Earth, it could be their only real chance to survive (if they get rid of Pegasus that is...)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A vast distiction between the Modern Battlestar and the Original 'classic' Series is

that the Current Fleet never seems to come across any Habitated worlds.

Nor any other Alien Races.

In the old series Habitable worlds led the Galactica (like breadcrumbs) to Earth.

and so did their contact with Aliens.

2x19 might help to explain some of this............

This episode should be called "Go Frak Yourself" for what is said at the end of the Presidential debates. Lovely episode, but I feel they could have dropped the chief's side story, and given us more on the rest of the story.

But good that they went ahead and went back to Caprica. Lets hope they make it all right.

This episode should be called "Go Frak Yourself" for what is said at the end of the Presidential debates. Lovely episode, but I feel they could have dropped the chief's side story, and given us more on the rest of the story.

But good that they went ahead and went back to Caprica. Lets hope they make it all right.

I dont quite see why they would actually risk there miltary assetts for a rescue mission back to caprica for a handful of humans. Surely risking loosing a bulk of the raptor fleet and there pilots is a huge gamble.

About the only way i can see this being a worth while risk is if they accidently pick up the rogue Number 6 and sharon.

As for baltar, surely adama wont support him if by some chance he actually does win the election, if you recall the orginal pilot episode adama states to roslin "i still maintain all decisions regarding miltary" or words to that effect so even if baltar does get elected then he still wont have that much power over adama, personally i dont actually think he will win the election at all, right at the last minute i think roslin will remember seeing baltar on caprica before the attacks with no.6.

Am i the only one who find it strange that they have found a "map" to earth and they didnt even mentioned it by now again? I mean...hello? They are not searching for the new home...they are just drifting in space. They dont even JUMP with the whole fleet, they just sit there.

How come they even consider permanent settlement on that new planet wihtout even sending a survey Team on surface? Maybe it the homeworld of some even-worse-then-Cylons maneating Tofu-cubes.

I personaly liked the Chiefs sidestory. Gave my a good laugh too.

What i DO NOT like is that political stuff. If wanna see politicans fighting each other and lie to the ppl I only have to turn on BBC or CCN or our german aquivalent "Phoenix TV" *rolleyes*

It was a good episode because I said "Hey...i want more and i want it NOW" after watching it.

Editors note: English isnt my first language but i think u get an idea what i am talking about eh?

Editors note 2: To be on the save side: I talked about Battlestar Galactica 2x19 -.-

This episode rocked, though it did raise a few questions in general.

Baltar and Tom Zarek working together? Hell FRAKKING YES. Now there is an unholy duo that I wanna see. Brilliant team up. And you know the new planet is going to play the key role in who becomes President. Judging from the previews of 2x20, Baltar just might win... (YES!)

Harvey-Six is back all of a sudden? wtf is up with that. Last week she practically wanted to kill Baltar for not helping Hera. Now she's all pointing out whats going on and when? Though I must admit, I love how Baltar is no longer scared of her. He tells HER when to shutup instead of the other way around. (She still seems to influence him physically though, like putting his head on the desk).

The stuff with Chief and Cailey? Awesome stuff. Sorry but ever since she killed the first Sharon, I wanted her ass thrown out the nearest airlock. He beat the living crap out of her, that, was, awesome. Bitch needed to be taken down a few pegs for killing Sharon. Cheif thinks he's a Cylon so he goes to talk to a local priest who happens to be Al from Quantum Leap, nice stuff. Really. Loved it. (but come on you know you were waiting for Sam to pop up at anymoment ;p)

They finally went back to Caprica to rescue the leftovers. I will admit it was cool seeing a whole squadron of Raptors land on the planet. Other than that I really don't care to see this entire love-angle play out between Starbuck and Anders or whatever his name is. I love Starbucks character but I am tired of seeing her drift between drunken bitch to love sick puppy.

Baltar's debate with Rosalyn was great. She know's she's screwed, and he's got that smug "I'm so better than you" look on his face. Great stuff. And yes that "Go Frak yourself" line was awesome.

Oh and the episode gets knocked down a point cause we had to see Dualla again, in the lockerroom no doubt ;\ next to a half naked Lt. Gaeita too ;(

Cheif thinks he's a Cylon so he goes to talk to a local priest who happens to be Al from Quantum Leap, nice stuff. Really. Loved it. (but come on you know you were waiting for Sam to pop up at anymoment ;p)

I wonder what Cylon model number he (Al) turns out to be? At any rate, I found him to be a great addition to the series.

I found it rather odd that now, Chief seems to be having suicidal tendencies. Haven't we seen enough of that from Apollo already?

I'm waiting for the day that the President publicly announces that Baltar was working with the Cylons. For a moment there, I thought maybe she was going to reveal that fact during the first debate, but they didn't bother showing so much as a second of that actual debate.

IT HAD AL FROM QUANTUM LEAP.

This episode was ace.

Obvious subtext:

Baltar: So I'll just wait for the hand of god to win the election for me.

Raptro Crew: Here is a planet we could live on.

Baltar: OMG FTW!

Yeah, I mean - you think you're losing faith in BSG with a couple of so-so episodes and then BANG. It blows you away and you wonder how you could have ever strayed.

I easily like the slow guitar rifts for the entire first 10 minutes.

Speaking of the Cylons, why have the name/reference to them been changed from "the Cylons" to "the Cylon"?

We first heard this usage in 2x18, on Caprica. I just figured "ok maybe the Cylons call their race by a slightly different variation of the word".

Then I heard, I believe it was either Baltar or Rosalyn also call them "the Cylon" in 2x19.

Generally speaking, singularly calling them that would usually mean theres just that, one of them. Or, a hive relationship, like Borg (not Borgs). But we know the Cylons are individuals. While they have the ability to link into the others and access information or transmit it (including downloading into new bodies) they are still distinct seperate personalities, other wise besides a military tactic there would be no need for various models OR why they wanted to "box" Caprica Six/Galactica Sharon for their individuality past reason.

It's like calling "humans" just human. "The human are across this sector next to that planet over there". It just doesn't quit work ya know.

Maybe I misheard it (twice?) but it just stuck out at me that, it sounded odd..

that shot of the planet and the delta, the reference to the extreme conditions at the two poles... come on, people, that's the tigris and euphrates rivers.. they've stumbled on to earth. obviously not present day earth, but it's earth.

they've found earth!

that makes no sense

Earth was supposed to be the 13th Colony

From what you say, and from what the episode said, there are no humans on the that planet....I'm not believing there are no humans left alive there.

Unless my theory about the Cylons finding Earth before the Humans did was correct, in which case they pulled a Caprica on it and have since nuked its population.

And the planet could just be stock footage of Earth. I mean Caprica looked alot like Earth with a few minor landmass changes. For all we know it could just be a random planet they consider colonizing, meaning a temporary thing so they just use quick footage that won't make a difference in the end (aka being Earth...)

Plus they played the "hey we stumbled onto a planet" thing already when they found Kobol.

no no... you don't understand... i didn't deduce this... the picture on the monitors WAS the tigris and euphrates rivers... i've captured the image and i've created a twin image from google earth and it's the same. the shapes of the rivers are identical, even the little triangle they make where they meet.

and i can't believe they just used a picture of earth to depict this planet... it's lazy.. they don't have artists for that? they do so much work in other areas. they had to specifically and clearly focus on this particular formation.... TWICE?

i remember being taught in school that civilization first emerged in this corner of the planet. maybe they're instrumental in this?

two more suspicions (i am a suspicious critter)...

1. the clergyman made a big joke about how he knew the chief wasn't a cylon because he, himself was one.. it was too haha for me. perhaps he's telling the truth? was this one of the reasons for the sidestory? this is a known actor (familiar face, i've seen him a lot but don't recall the name) and i can't believe he has just a bit part.

2. maybe the first jump with the mistaken coordinates wasn't a mistake at all... after all, sharon was a catalyst in the jumps and she has been overwilling to help all this time -- and she did just lose a baby and blames the -human- doctor for it. maybe their finding earth is part of their plan (six was telling baltar to listen carefully to tom zarek's proposal and that this planet was teir future).

my mind's just zipping all over the place today. i think i've come down with some sort of bsg-itis :thinking:

certainly don't think the planet is earth, i think they're just being lazy on the picturing of the delta.

I think sleeper software in Sharon might have reprogrammed the jump incorrectly, without her even realising.

I think Baltar will win the election, and within a couple of episodes of s3 we'll find cylons attack the world and drive the convoy on, with a new leader at the helm, Baltar. I think Roslyn will continue to exists, and will become more active in the nurturing of Hera, who might start doing odd things from a young age.

Anders is a cylon ;) why not, they haven't a buff male variant yet. The Chief isn't. Callie gets lots of dental treatment to fix her face (she said in the reporter issue she only joined the military to pay for dental school, now the military is puttign her right back in there)

Pegasus will get destroyed protecting the fleet early in s3 as the fleet evac's and escapes from the newly discovered world.

Just my random musings.

Loving BSG, loving it longtime.