Scientology

MrDad

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't consider themselves to be a religion... which is pretty strange considering they're the Church of Scientology...

I think it's fair to say that they're a cult - but as they happen to enjoy the patronage of many wealthy people, a portion of whom are from the Hollywood elite, that it's acceptable as an eccentricity.

Yes, it seems I did. And am still.

I'm well aware of what Scientology is. Scientologists don't see their beliefs as religion but as proveable fact. There is a reason Dianetics, the "bible" of Scientology, is subtitled The Evolution of a Science.

Whether you believe in it or not: THEY do. As such, they can explain it any way they want to. It does something for them that other belief systems don't. As long as the leaders aren't taking advantage of the membership, let it be. When they have beliefs different than your or my own: let them shut up as well. Tom Cruise had no business being public about his views on Brooke Shield's medical needs despite his belief that every illness is caused by the mind. Privately, he could say and do as he wanted...

an it harm none, do as ye will.

oops, my pagan side showed up.

Unfortunately, scientology DOES do harm, empties a lot of people's bank accounts, and has a number of suicides, insanity, and ruined lives strewn behind it.

As for them believing their religion is a fact, well... I'm hard pressed to think of many religions that don't hold themselves as being fundamental truths (i.e. fact), so regardless of what -believers- say scientology is, without genuine scientific proof of their claims it is a religion.

Scientology has as much merit to it as any other religion.

As much as I'd normally agree, I think other religions have more merit. Scientology has been around what, 20 maybe 30 years at most? Its still a sketchy half baked "religion" that barely meets the requirements to be officially declared such.

Christianity on the other hand, has been around for centuries and millenia. While I think it's not nesscarily true it still has many thousands of years worth of people devotely believing in it and following its teachings. Right or not, it at least rings true to people for a long, long time. Scientology will likely never be able to say the same.

Is Scientology as worthy as Christianity or Islam etc.?

I really think that depends on how cynical you are about religion.

If you're leaning toward Richard Dawkins level of anti-religion - then I imagine you'd think they're all as bad. If you're a realist then you'd probably have some serious questions to ask of a religion founded by a hack sci-fi writer and kiddy fiddler, that requires money more than faith...

Did they find someone to replace Issacy Hayes? comedycentral.com lists the next new episode of South Park as having "The Return of Chef!", so at least the character is still in the show in some form.

Scientology is not something I have studied so let people believe what if it has no effect on you don't worry about it and in the famous words of Dave Allen "may your God go with you" luckily for me I am far too poor to be a scientologist so what they do is unlikely to effect me

Yeah, I'll not spoil it for those who want to watch it, but there is a reason it's called 'The Return of Chef'.

He does kinda return, but he also doesn't.

Look for a review if people are so inclined.

I just watched it. I wondered for about 5 seconds why his comments were so strange. Then, it hit me. Sound Bytes. They had to use old sound clips. You can do so much with those. Not sure why they went in this direction with the character. The similarities to "stuck in the closet" were funny though.