Projectiles or Energy Weapons

Duggie

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

commodore, we are being hailed. :P

my home town is a SMALL rural town in oklahoma. i am living in arkansas right now though. expensive as hell here!

I live in a wide spot in the road, near some small mini-mountains. Things are backwards here, but cheap as hell!

:cyclops:

enery weapons are cool, especially when you can stun, and saying set phasers to kill sounds so better than shoot to kill.

But projectiles are so cooler they just sound better

urr.. how do you upload or seed torrents?

Well, if you think about it, they both have their benefits. A phasor can stun you, and you're not really injured. There's also the kill setting for that lovely vaporization that leaves little evidence. But, alas, they're useless against the Borg. Now, projectile weapons. those things are nasty. You get hit by one, and you're pretty much screwed. But considering the poor aim of most of the characters, you might actually do pretty well. And Picard really tore up some Borg in First Contact with a Tommy Gun. You'd think Starfleet would've realized that energy weapons were useless and put in their Borg protocalls to have all security officers replicate projectile weapons. No matter how advanced the Borg are, Star Trek hasn't invented the force field that can protect against bullets.

And, you know, I really think they should outfit the Enterprise with machine guns like they have on biplanes in old WW2 movies. How cool would it be to see the Enterprise come after a Borg cube firing real bullets!

ok maybe it isnt possible' date=' but im suggest heavy titanium armor for the latest combat Droid. to be use in combating bugs[/quote']

Actually titanium is one of the lightest metals we can manufacture. It's density is only slightly higher than that of aluminum. Given a choice of aluminum, titanium, or steel where weight is a factor in the choice of a material, aluminum will be chosen first for as much of the product as possible. Titanium is not used very much in large manufactured products today, like airplanes. It is used primarily where temperature is a factor.

Anyway, titanium wouldn't stop a bullet. Really thick kevlar material with maybe a backing of some other really nice composite material would be good. But kevlar really is the best we have against bullets right now. Hopefully they'll come up with something really great if they really use projectiles in Star Trek. hehe.