Most Profound Thing You Have Thought Or Said

Tenebrae

I remember when I was confronted with these two whining goth morons who wailed to everyone they met about how miserable and depressed they were. In a fit of anger I told them something like (roughly translated from swedish) "true misery can only be experienced in solitude". I'm not sure exactly where it came from, but it's the truth.

"There is no spoon."

Yes, most Matrix quotes have been said to death over the years, and some of them are actually quite bad pieces of dialogue. But it was the meaning behind that phrase. Much of the reason I enjoy science fiction is, I believe anything in our reality is possible. Some things may be highly improbable or unlikely, but possible. Hence, there is no spoon.

Well I always found that too be sort of a good luck charm, and it came in handy once. My senior year of high school many years ago, like most students (in America at least) seniors have to give a thesis paper and presentation on something, generally anything. At the time I was and still am big into the Internet, so I researched and did mine on the history of the Internet. My paper was average or so, got a B+ on it. Anyway the killer part was the presentation. One of my personal "fears" I guess is public speaking. I cannot stand people staring at me and I've always been terrified of looking people in the eye. Something about it just makes me feel like they can see right into my eyes and get into my head. It was only infront of 3 "judges" but it still..

For the presentation part you had to give a speech, and some sort of display or demonstration. Using the history of the internet as the backbone of my demonstration, I used what knowledge I had of HTML and made a basic webpage in two formats, both chronologically showing the Internets timeline. So before I go into, I'm taking deep breaths, trying to prepare myself. It may sound corney, stupid or whatever but I am the type that speaking infront of people makes me so nervous I get nauceas to my stomach. Luckily I never start vommitting but I always end up with knots in my stomach from the nerves. So I'm standing there, prepping up and I just remember in my mind "Nothing is impossible. Go in there, do what you gotta do. There is no spoon."

And I aced it. First speech I ever gave where I got an A grade. I did my speech portion well, it ran the right amount of time, I didn't talk too fast (which I am sometimes prone to do), I didn't have to use my notecards 100%, and the demonstration went well.

It may not seem like alot to some but a phrase or saying that an inspire confidence as such in someone, such as myself, are some wise words indeed.

Sometimes you have to make up a false but plausible argument, cause when you're telling the truth or something important your friends will listen more carefully.

@mav

I used to get very nervous at presentations and talking in public, but after doing a presentation to a 1000+ audience that problem disappeared and a small crowd is peanuts these days. ;)

Guest c4evap
Most Profound Thing You Have Thought Or Said

I have often said that we stand between the outer and the inner universe.

...prolly somethin' I smoked... ;)

c4 B)

Here are some of mine I've liked over the years:

If alcohol is a depressant, why am I only happy when I'm drunk?

and

If I travel down that road, I'll only end up further away tfrom where I started

Knowledge may breed power, but it doesn`t mean powerful people are knowledgeable. (not a dig at GWB, honest!!)lol

Make the most of life whilst you`re young, because you never know when you might get run over by a bus.

I also like Newtons 3rd law, which in my opinion applies to everything, not just physics.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Oh, and the ones in my sig. The first two are from RIZLA. The third I adapted from something I heard on a film.

B)