so what are u?

Engineer101

Being a political science major (including economics), the world system is the way it is because of people. People want power, people want money (a form of power). Democracy is only one method of controlling those who have power by creating institutions.

[snip]

The only way to change the 'unfairness' or the 'inequality' in our system, the world system, is the change ourselves. As long as we care about our own persons before others, nothing will improve.

As Ghandi said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world." I've begun to learn that the most radical, revolutionary AND effective action I can take is to teach my children well; to model for them the values I hold, moral, political, economic, etc; to challenge their thinking when as they develop their own sense of values, but also to give them "safe" freedom to improvise, and even to learn from mistakes.

The core values of anarchy (as I see them), apply to individual behavior, to family interaction, to small groups, communities, and society. So I'm doing my best to implement mutual respect, compassionate boundary setting, accountability, and shared decision making without abdicating my parental responsibility to guide, influence, and when appropriate say "No," or "Yes, you must do this."

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Ghandi said' date=' "Be the change you wish to see in the world." I've begun to learn that the most radical, revolutionary [b']AND[/b] effective action I can take is to teach my children well; to model for them the values I hold, moral, political, economic, etc; to challenge their thinking when as they develop their own sense of values, but also to give them "safe" freedom to improvise, and even to learn from mistakes.

So it begins...

The core values of anarchy (as I see them), apply to individual behavior, to family interaction, to small groups, communities, and society. So I'm doing my best to implement mutual respect, compassionate boundary setting, accountability, and shared decision making without abdicating my parental responsibility to guide, influence, and when appropriate say "No," or "Yes, you must do this."

As of this moment, elderbear has joined the ranks of the elders. ;)

Wisdom has truly crossed your path, elderbear.

Now tell me, my young apprentice ( lol ), what, of what you say, is different from what mr. Bush tells us to do?

Ah, I already know... mutual respect, compassionate boundary setting, accountability, and shared decision making ... ;)

My young apprentice, allow me to complete your training. You have grown strong in the Force... your parents taught you well. :)

But to be more serious... I see truth in your words, and yet, their complete application is more difficult to achieve than anything in this world. Doing your best, is the best you can do, but all of you remember this:

"Act like a man of thought - Think like a man of action"

-- Thomas Mann

Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart to give yourself to it.

And last of all... but definitely not least:

"Unless you do your best, the day will come when, tired and hungry, you will halt just short of the goal you were ordered to reach, and by halting you will make useless the efforts and deaths of thousands."

-- Gen. George S. Patton

"Unless you do your best, the day will come when, tired and hungry, you will halt just short of the goal you were ordered to reach, and by halting you will make useless the efforts and deaths of thousands."

-- Gen. George S. Patton

Sorry for quoting out of context, but this Patton quote sounds(to me) in itself like an excuse for not thinking. I choose to counter it with:

"To defend an error is to make another error"

- loosely translated german proverb

-- Gen. George S. Patton

Sorry for quoting out of context, but this Patton quote sounds(to me) in itself like an excuse for not thinking. I choose to counter it with:

"To defend an error is to make another error"

- loosely translated german proverb

Please, elaborate, for I do not understand.

Thank you.

What exactly is the excuse for what?

I see it more as a motivating thought to perform to your best abilities, whatever they may be. Don't you think that makes sense? :)

With the greatest respect,

Elladan

What I mean is that Pattons statement could be interpreted as not wanting to stop, just because he has come so far already. In my honest belief one should ALWAYS question one self in order to stop when needed - instead of giving way to ego.

If you still don't follow....well, then I suppose I could try to refrase somethin'...or just plain ol' nothin'... :rolleyes:

What I mean is that Pattons statement could be interpreted as not wanting to stop, just because he has come so far already. In my honest belief one should ALWAYS question one self in order to stop when needed - instead of giving way to ego.

If you still don't follow....well, then I suppose I could try to refrase somethin'...or just plain ol' nothin'... :rolleyes:

Now, I do understand. I just was not certain about it the first time.

"The moment we stop questioning ourselves is the moment the human species has ceased to exist."

You are right. As I had expected.

Patton however is referring to the 'standing on shoulders of giants' (-- Newton), in the sense that if others gave their life for a (your) cause, you shouldn't let their sacrifices be in vain by breaking off the assault, or by going to Berlin anyways... you name it.

Elladan