s28e6 -- Age of Steel Offical Discussion Thread!!!

Fenriswolf

Yeah, there were definite similarities between Cybermen and the servants of the Hammerites.

I think Mickey could have really come into his own. I just hope that they don't think of doing a spin off with Mickey in this alternate...that might be a bit too much.

I think they'd have lost a lot with CGI for certain. I presume they used some CGI in the whole factory scene as the camera pans back and up but I think it would be a very small amount of CGI tho.

Att the end when the camera pans down to cybercontroler hanging on the ladder (From Pete's POV) that looked cgi to me

What a lot of people forget is that CGI is expensive. The common misoconception is that CGI is the cheap way out, and it isn't.

I'm glad they used costumes, it looked better, but none of it was enough to stop me wanting my 50 minutes back.

Yes Fen, there was a definite few seconds of CGI in that factory shot, but wasnt too bad at all, didnt look tacky! One of the 'live' cybermen actually pulled off quite a convincing 'Robocop' turn, impressive! But there were the 3 Cybers who were looking for the fugitive Doctor & Co who turned just a little too uniform, i thought they were about to do Riverdance or something lol

Did ya really think it was that bad Steveo? I dont think Ive seen an episode where Ive wanted the 50 minutes back! Oh well, just goes to show, ya cant please em all eh?

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed this series (especially The Girl in the Fireplace - Corsets really are very, very hot).

I enjoyed the 1st part of this 2 part, but this one just didn't arouse any excitement or pleasure from me. I think it was a combination of 1. the cheesy parts ('hot dogs' and the bride to be) and 2. A bad ending - I didn't like Rose returning home.

I can understand that, I always felt that the magic of going off with the Doctor was the 'not knowing' where youre going and how or if youll get back! There seems to be too much control of the TARDIS now, the old days were good for the mystery of adventure. Knowing that you can get home at anytime, which since the new series began has been almost too easy, its like Rose's flat (thats apartment for our US friends hehe) has a rubber band on it

The CGI thing for slicing and dicing looked HORRIBLE.

It is a bit dull that the Doctor basically manages to just get the TARDIS more accurately than I put pints in my mouth.

Also, sonic screw driver to cut through rope? Doesn't anyone carry a pocket knife?

Hehe, thats a valid point, Im beginning to feel the sonic screwdriver is being used for absolutely anything and everything, its like an easy get-around to fix every problem. Perhaps he should just misplace it a few times and then theyd have to write a way to solve a problem.

I was pretty happy with this episode. I felt satisfied with the 50 minutes of my life it took to watch it :) My main gripe was the wedding night thing, that was a bit hard to take and it kinda didnt work imo, it was just a bit like the OTT mushy sentiment that they ladeled on in the last season too much. Didnt ruin the episode for me or anything though.

They managed to make the cybermen genuinely menacing and the atmosphere had a great atmosphere overall, I dug the scene in the cooling tunnel thing, that was great! The surgery machine thing was maybe a little flakey and some of the CGI seemed vaguely derivative of star wars episode III (darth vaders mask scene) and the matrix (whatever the scene is where they see the fields where they grow humans.

I am being really negative here, because I actually hugely enjoyed the episode, but I didnt want to post the same thing yet again :) So im giving part 2 a 9, it looses a point because of the wedding night scene. The fireplace managed to be emotional without being sloppy or gloopy, that is the way to go!!!!

Strangely enough, I found that the synchronized cybermen actually made a lot of sense. They -are- effectively identical and all connected, so it's reasonable that they would act synchronously. Cybermen still can't run, it seems...

... but yeah. The 'zap' at the beginning and the 'magic sonic screwdriver' really do take a lot out of it. At least in the old series, the sonic screwdriver was pretty much only a screwdriver / lockpick combo / remote control, and not the sort of plot panacea it is in the new series. Hell, I'm amazed the Doctor didn't use his screwdriver to blow up the zeppelin from the hillside! ;)

... even back then, though, they got rid of the screwdriver for being too useful. ^^

I'm wondering what happened to all the screams that were happening during the conversions earlier. Having that going on in the background while they were in the conversion area would have added a lot to the mood of the conversion chambers. Besides, having mind-controlled people scream at one point and not scream at another seems rather inconsistant.

Also, as a side note... if Lumic didn't go bonkers when his emotions returned (assuming they were gone in the first place), you'd think that some of the cybermen would have been able to tolerate their new bodies even with their emotions back. People are very adaptable, after all.

As a side note, the Lumic / Darth Vader "NOOOOO!" was pretty bad...

Frankly, I'm hoping this episode is foreshadowing for a return of non-parallel-world Cybermen later on, and I'm really curious how torchwood's going to pop up later on in this season... unless they're simply emphasizing it given it's impressive appearance during the Christmas Invasion, sort of reversing the Bad Wolf integration thing.

Edit: As a side note, the Doctor's control over his TARDIS has varied from none at all (Hartnell through Troughton, and a chunk of Tom Baker (i.e. after the randomizer thing)) to very nearly full control. I guess during his responsible, clean-up-his-messes phase (i.e. Sylvester's Doctor) he decided to actually fix the Tardis. :cyclops:

Edit: As a side note' date=' the Doctor's control over his TARDIS has varied from none at all (Hartnell through Troughton, and a chunk of Tom Baker (i.e. after the randomizer thing)) to very nearly full control. I guess during his responsible, clean-up-his-messes phase (i.e. Sylvester's Doctor) he decided to actually fix the Tardis. :cyclops:[/quote']

I have serious doubts as to whether this is actually true or not. It seems to me that the Doctor doesn't have as much control over where/when he wants to go so much as when/where the TARDIS needs him to be. How else could the Doctor (in all of his genius) make so many errors in plotting his destinations? From being ten years off the mark in "The Unquiet Dead" to sending Rose home a year late in "Aliens of London", to more recently in "Tooth and Claw" going to the 19th Century instead of 1979 and now visiting a Parallel Earth on the exact day the Cybermen are born... ALWAYS miraculously and coincidentally in the nick of time to stop an alien incursion. The TARDIS is a living, intelligent being and it seems to me that not a lot of people give it enough credit as a character in and of itself.

Anyone else guessing that the black cars in next week episode are going to be Torchwood related?

As to the TARDIS misbehaving - yeah, it does seem to take the Doctor where he needs to be but it wouldn't be all that interesting a show if he went "Ah, the 1970s - AND NO ALIENS OR EVIL PLOTS IN SIGHT." That wouldn't really be all that good.

This episode gets a 0 out of 10 for me

They got rid of Mickey, my favorite character next to the Doctor himself.

The poor guy, he's smart as a whip, not nearly as stupid as the Doctor makes him out to be and this is the "send off" he gets? Rose can't snatch up her alternate universe father but Mickey can replace "himself" for his grandmother?

I call B.S.

And for the real haters, this episode wasn't written by RTD nor do I dislike him, I just really hated this episode.

The Sonic Screwdriver has a long glorious history of being able to do anything needed. It's covered more plotholes than a room full of robotic dogs:)
Time was one one robotic dog could fill all them plot holes lol

I liked the entire parallel world idea myself. Mickey should have an interesting time learning the new history of his world. If it continues and the Cybermen don't take it over. I hated the thought that he was trapped there though. My SLIDERS flashbacks, I guess.